Friday, August 31, 2007

Finished!

After a long (long!) day yesterday, the peaches are DONE! Milo's grandma came to help me and was so, so sweet to stay until we were all cleaned up. In just over 3 hours we canned 38 quarts of peaches. I must say, I was quite impressed with our speed. Well Gramie's speed because she was the one that did most all of the blanching, peeling and cutting of the peaches (I did do work, it was the other kind; fixing bottles, the sugar mess and keeping the boys from killing each another). If I had waited one more day I would have lost many more peaches. Thanks so much for all your help Gramie, I am so grateful for all the help you gave me. I so would have quit after getting 20-25 quarts done. She was unstoppable and now I need to think of a great way to pay it forward right back to her!

I don't love to can but I love the results (for some reason it makes me feel a little 'Molly'). I guess you could say I'm a fresh fruit, home canned snob. I love the stuff, store bought stuff just does not in anyway compare in taste (is this only me?)! I blame my grandma and mom(a good blame that is) for feeding it all to me when I was younger. My grandparents had 5 acres they filled with all kinds of fruit trees and they still are some of the best fruit around. And I don't just say that because it's free! We always ate fresh, home canned peaches, pears, green beans, tomatoes, all kinds of freezer jam with fresh fruit, dried apples, pears and homemade fruit leather. Oh just typing all that brings back memories! I love looking at my 'stash' and knowing it will taste good and will feed my family down the road. I have two jars chilling in the fridge right now and I can't wait to eat them!

Today after visiting teaching (on the last day of the month no less) I came home and had to find a place for all 38 quarts of peaches. I didn't take a before picture of this cupboard (dang it!) but it looks at least 1,000 times better. I swear it somehow became the 'Throw it in there and if we ever need it we might find it' cupboard. Or the 'Where in the world is _______, I know I put it in here' cupboard. There was so much crap in there, I filled a garbage bag with old food/stuff I didn't even know was in there. So embarrassing! I just wanted to post a picture to prove to my mom that I did it (just in case it isn't clean when she comes back at Christmas-I plan on it staying this way). It was always annoying to her (and Milo) but for me it was one of the things I knew needed to be done but somehow ignoring it was just fine with me (how, I have no idea). I have looked inside at least 10 times since finishing (so proud, so proud). Who doesn't love a clean food cupboard?

We survived our first 3 days of school (thankfully). Am I the only one that has to pump my kids for info about their day? I have to ask over and over and most of their answers are...'It was fun.' I'm guessing I need to be more specific in my question asking. Oh well I guess we have plenty of time for that.

I'm glad this is a 3 day weekend and Milo will be around on Mon too. This week was so consumed with getting school in order and getting the peaches done, laundry went by the wayside. I have a TON to catch up on so tomorrow the washer and dryer aren't getting any breaks! If I'm brave I'll take a picture of the pile, I'm sure it will COVER my couch.

14 comments:

::lindsay said...

I'm so impressed with all the canning. I don't know the first thing about canning. I love all the yummy fresh fruits and vegetables though.

I'm with you on the kid thing. Whenever I ask Carson about his day, he says, "It was good." When I ask what he did he says, "I don't know. I can't remember." So not helpful!

Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a lot of peaches! Good for you -- that is such an accomplishment. I hope you get a chance to put your feet up and enjoy some of them this weekend!

Melinda said...

That is a ton of peaches! I have never bottled but I know my family would go crazy for it. One of these days I will try.

I am happy for the 3 day weekend also. We need it to just veg and sleep in. Have fun.

becca said...

I am impressed with the canning! We didn't do this growing up and I have to admit I have never tasted "real" canned peaches! I would love to have more skills like this and I am afraid that I have turned into a "convenience snob"...I live in way too convenient of a world and to be honest it makes me sad. There are so many things I don't know how to do and will never be able to teach my girls! What a sweet Grandma you have!!!

jenn said...

I have never learned to can. My sister just did peaches and salsa this week. She lives in Washington too. I tell myself it is because you have such great fruit there amd I wouldn't know where to look for good, bulk fruit in Utah. Impressive on many levels!

Laundry is a constant battle for me- you should totally post the pile! I did a laundry post in Jan 2006 including the basket spilling over into the hall. I look at it now and laugh because it only takes two days to look like it did after a week back then. Why do kids have to grow so big?!

Good luck- I hope your holiday is productive and happy!

Anonymous said...

so impressive ! wow....

peaches are my absolute fave. yum!

-carlo

Christina said...

nice that you know how to can! i think growing up in the "OC" makes you not appreciate good things like REAL canned peaches!! i havent any idea where to even start or sadly who to even ask!?! whats up with that!?

at dinner we will ask the girls "what was you favorite part of today and what was you worst?" its pretty eye opening and we dont RUSH thru dinner!!

jenny said...

Peaches yum!! Love the clean pantry. Every time I go to the store I have to throw away food that I THOUGHT was good. We have the same containers for our salt, flour, and sugar. So funny!!

I too have to pump my kids for info, especially the boys. Happy day Milo is around Monday..so is Doug Yippee!

Liz said...

Those peaches look so yummy! Good work!

donna said...

Wow your go girl! I am so impressed with all your canning :)


HAve a great long weekend. I will call you again.

Barb said...

I am with you, sista, home canned fruit is the best. However, my husband prefers store canned (???) so I've gradually given up most of my canning. It's hard to do it when I'm the only one who appreciates it.
That was so great that you had experienced help!

Jill said...

I have never canned anything, and yes I think canning is quite a "Molly" thing to do, but also feel inadequate for not possessing those skills.

I don't like slimy, jarred fruit. I like fresh fruit so it's a problem for me.

A clean pantry is a happy, happy thing. You are wise to document it.

Anonymous said...

Such a clean pantry..I'm jealous.

michelle said...

What a lot of beautiful peaches! I have only canned peaches once, a few years ago, and it was such a big project -- I can't stand to think of doing it by myself -- last time I had my mom and Jessie to help me. There is something very satisfying about putting away all those lovely bottles. In a newly cleaned pantry no less!