Sunday, May 31, 2009

Coming Out of It

I have been in the biggest funk. The past two weeks have not been easy. We've stayed busy and done a few fun things definitely blog worthy but it felt like I had hit a wall. Being stuck on a wall of pity and depression was not a pretty place to be so I just stayed away from blogging (and a few other things). Part of me wishes I had taken the time to document 'the down' and the other part of me is glad I wont ever have to read those moods again.

There is nothing like family to give you a boost and yesterday was my boost. It was such a good day. A shot in the arm kind of day. We spent the whole day with family we don't get together with often enough (my dad's side) and it was just what the doctor ordered.

About half of us ended up inside the pool swimming while the other half sat outside in the shade talking waiting to have pizza at the hometown dive that everyone has to eat at when they visit. I had a good time going back and forth, flitting from spot to spot. No surprise that I liked knowing what was going on and being said at both locations, ha. I'm so glad my dad (in the blue polo) made the drive over. He never stays long enough but I try to remind myself that some time together is better than no time at all.

This baby boy is a fish! He loves the water and the only way we can keep him out of it and off the baby slide is to stuff him full of food or wrap him in a towel and not let go. Is this cheesy smile not the cutest ever? He is so fun right now. Exhausting but fun. He needs a post of his own about all the antics he pulls. One year olds are busy little people!

While we were at pizza, we found out that my aunt and uncle's house was flooded from irrigation water basically pouring right in the front door. The whole group went out to their house and went to work. What a mess but blessing to have so many men and teenage boys around to help get the water bailed out of the house. They ended up having to rip the carpet and pad up, there was no way to save it. Huge, huge mess.

{Cousins Jodie and Marjean, sister Jill, sister in law Heidi, brother Kyle with his sideways eyes (too funny) and Milo}

While the men worked the women did what we do best, talked, talked and talked some more. Milo and Kyle did help a ton, I made them stop for a photo. I should have stopped all the men but I didn't want to push my luck and make anyone grumpy. Brother and husband have to comply.
My little guys were in heaven wrestling to their hearts content. My nephews and cousin that are older teenagers egged them on and no way were Nathan or Dane going to stop or give in. All sorts of manuevers were taught and even Preston wanted in on the action. He eventually flopped right on top of Dane getting in on the wresting fun. Not sure how I'm going to handle all this wrestling but I'm going to have to learn. Just a couple days ago when I demanded the boys stop wrestling all over the living room while yelling as I cooked dinner. Nathan stopped and said, 'Mom, it's what we do. We're boys and we can't stop!'. Help me!

Two cute nieces! Kate and Madison are the only girl nieces I have. With Kat they make up the only 3 girl grankids on that side of our family. Dang cute girls if I do say so myself! Kate was bawling when they were getting ready to leave and I told her I'd show her a cute photo of her and Madi so she could quite crying. It worked, she loved it too!

The kids were pushed to their limit and were so, so good. Once Reed could barely stand to keep his eyes open I put him in the stroller and gave him this old ball and he stayed happy until we made it home. I barely even saw Kathryn, she was hanging with the older girl cousins getting some girl time in, checking out a beautiful horse (her words), playing tetherball, going on walks and just plain having a good time.

They were the filthiest little kids and they had to have a shower before bed even though we were getting home just before 10pm (unheard of for me to be so relaxed, they are ususally in bed before 8!). Once I said they had to shower, Nathan started crying for his bed and didn't want to be clean, he was begging to 'just go to bed'. Pretty funny because he is the biggest staller around here at bedtime. I love building these memories for them. They love their cousins.

(Dane had preschool graduation in the morning. Post up soon, he was an adorable little graduate!)

18 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

What? I didn't know you and Jodie were cousins!

I am so sad you were in a funk and I didn't even know. What a friend. Sorry about that.

I loved the pictures and post. It's fun to see this side of the family, too.

Holly said...

How FUN! I am so glad you got to see your "other" side of the family for the day. I had been worried about you when you hadn't blogged for a while. I was praying harder than ever for you! Hang in there Mel!

Brenda said...

I could totally go for some Chico's right now. So what if it's 9:30 in the morning. Glad you had a good time with the fam:)

Granny DeeAnn said...

Sounds like a fun day! Glad you could all get together. Too bad about Sis. Frump's house flooding. I'm sure Uncle Gene was glad for the man power. Floods are the worst! Reed is looking so old. I can't wait to see everyone. Let's camp!!! July 22 6:50PM!!!!

Lucy said...

I'm so sorry about your funk. They are really dreary and it stinks when they last longer than a day. Good thing your family was able to pull something fun together and give you a glimpse of the good life. It does look fun.

donna said...

What you have been in a funk? We need to have lunch!
Looks like you all a wonderful day. Oh so sorry about your Aunt's house. Sounds like it was a big mess. So how many rooms were flooded?

Kim said...

Good to hear from you again. :)

Barb said...

I don't blog when I'm in a funk/feeling negative. I still haven't decided if it's the right thing to do - never reveal the downside, but my children read my blog and most of what I leave out is because they don't need it.

Heidi said...

I have those days too where I just want to keep to myself...

It was fun and I'm glad I dragged Kyle out of bed so we could come and laugh a lot!

Becky Noftle said...

Love you Melanie, and your kids, and your husband, and your blog, and your Uncle Jean who picked me and baby Sierra up in 107 degree weather when we ran out of gas, and your dad when he saw me at a parade in Odessa and made me feel special, and your Aunt Marcella who is so sweet and gives me a hug when we bump into each other, and your brother Kyle he cracks me up, and Heidi if we could enter her in a speed talking contest we could so win and......

Heather said...

I was laughing at what you said about the boys wrestling. I totally think it is just engraved in their brains- and they really have no control over it!! We really are in trouble because I though it stopped as they get older- but mabye not :( I love your "other" side of the family too. They are all so loving and friendly. Wish we could see them again- it's been years and years. Love you Mel- we pray for you every night- keep your head up- this too shall pass :)

becca said...

I am so sorry you have been in a funk. Those are the worst! I am glad you got to spend some time with family, that is the best medicine!!

Reed is too cute. He and Brody are in the same stage :) It is a crazy!

Louise said...

Funks are like smelly armpits-they stink. Thats my profound statement for the week. Hope your feeling better, so glad you have a great "other side" of the family to spend a fun day with. I hope your Mom is planning on staying a month-its going to take that long to empty out Grandmas house, and I know she would LOVE to help!!

Laurie said...

Oh the 1 year old year! SO busy!! We are entering that ourselves here soon.

I am sos sorry about the funk. I imagine Heaven will be "funkless." :-) Hope June is a better month!

Shaila Lou said...

What a fun day with family. Sounds like I wouldn't have wanted it to end. What a great pick me up!

jenny said...

Funks of that nature are never fun. I find myself now and again with those. Glad you were able to medicate with some great quality family time!

Melinda said...

Sorry you had to be in such a funk. I think we all go through them for one reason or another. I hope it is getting better for you.

michelle said...

"Mom, it's what we do. We're boys and we can't stop!" That is just so classic!

So sorry to hear about your funk. That is the worst place to be. I hope you're feeling better now.