Owen ate an $18 library book. All of my kids have loved book. Sure a rip or two here but nothing like this. He tore off a corner and literally ate the paper in his hands. I'm still trying to decide it it's my fault for checking out such an expensive hardback book. I know for sure these blue eyes help him out as does the funny things he says. On Sunday after he took the sacrament he very happily said, 'Yum, yum! Delicious!' His enthusiasm really makes my day brighter (especially on days he's not eating library books).
It's officially official, she's growing up. She wears makeup most of the time, talks about stake dances (that are six months away) and started track a few weeks ago. She is my right hand girl and I love watching her mature. She understands so much more than I did at 13. Love this girl.
We walked around the temple one evening last weekend. Dane wanted to take some pictures and I thought this one was pretty cool. I love living so close. In a week or two all the trees are going to be in full bloom. We'll have to go back, I love the pink blossoms.
Last Thursday I was making lunch for Owen and I after Reed was gone to school. I knew he was in his room with the door shut but that is often how he will play so I didn't think anything of it. When I went to grab him for lunch, he was in his bed with the lights off nearly asleep. I couldn't believe it! He's the first of all my kids to give that amazing gift. Other than the $18 library book, he's a front runner for favorite, ha.
Last weekend we went to the feed store because it was 'chick day'.
Hundreds and hundreds of baby chicks and ducklings. Oh my goodness. You
have NO idea how much these guys wanted a duck. Or a chicken for that
matter. Dane preferred the duck with black webbed feet and Reed liked the lighter feet. Nate like the striped chickens and Kat loved every single one. They were cracking me up. Every one of them thought we should get one to 'try it out'. I
know chickens aren't cuddly and I can't imagine ducks are. What in the
world would they do with a duck?? I reminded them at least 15 times that in a couple weeks neither animal would be very 'cute'.
They didn't believe me for one second. Especially Kat. Also you can see by lack of pictures, we pretty much let Owen run from pen to pen yelling, 'duck!'. I don't think they weren't too sad to see us start heading for the car.
I am grateful I belong to a church that teaches the importance of eternal marriages and eternal families. I believe in both of those wonderful parts of the gospel and know they are true. I'm also grateful for the counsel the church gives when a marriage doesn't end the way you thought it would. I saw this on Facebook yesterday along with a link to this article in the March 2014 Ensign. I find personal messages that the Lord is aware of me around every corner. It's a blessing to know I'm not alone and that there is hope and healing after divorce.
Today was hat day at the elementary school. I can tell you this boy has been waiting for this day for a long time. Nathan out grew this fancy hat and Reed loves to wear it. But most of the time, he's a dressed up man with no place to go. Not today though! He was dressed and ready for the bus in nothing flat when I told him he could wear his fedora. Cute boy getting so big.
With the help of three different men (one for cutting, one for melting lead for weights and one for polishing and assembling the wheels/axles), Dane finished his final Pinewood Derby car. Hip, hip, hooray and Hallelujah! This year we did not procrastinate and never felt feverish to get it finished in time. That might deserve a second Hallelujah. Here it is at weigh in already covered in graphite and ready to race. Dane cut out all the painter's tape and made his own design. I believe that might be what he's most proud of. Dropping it off a couple nights early is my favorite. It's out of our hands until the night of fun. The derby is Thursday night and I have the same hope I have every year. That they have fun and win at least one heat. I've learned while bragging rights for winning the whole thing might be fun, if they win o.n.e. heat, they can talk about it for weeks. That's perfect in my book. Wish him (or rather us....him, the three men and me) good luck!
2 comments:
I love reading your posts Melanie.
I can tell I haven't seen Reed in awhile. He's grown up a lot.
I felt a huge relief once Pine Wood Derby Days were behind us. You're almost HALF WAY through. Go three men, Zane, and Melanie.
I thought of you when I read the article and saw the subway art, too. So glad there is hope and help in so many of the not-how-we-wish-they-were-part of our lives.
I hate the Derby. I am new to it and I hate it. Maybe I will like it one day, but for now I do not.. :)
PS Kat is beautiful :) and of course the boys are handsome. and that hat is killer!
Post a Comment