I had no idea what I would post for today and almost didn't participate because I was at a loss for what to post. I have never really had a good luck charm or something that I have kept for a long time. But when I saw
Jenny's post I thought about posting a picture of my alarm clock. It was a Christmas gift back in 1986!! Milo teases me all the time because in his words, 'Who has an alarm clock that is over 20 years old!' I still use it because it works and because other buzzers don't wake me up. This one has the most annoying buzz and it's super loud (right Milo?). But really is the
robin egg blue alarm clock my lucky charm? NO! I hate waking up to that sound, I'm a night owl and I like to wake up on my own terms. So I was back to the drawing board.

While I was dropping kids off and picking them up it came to me! I have said over and over in the last 5 1/2 years (since Nate was a brand new baby) how lucky AND blessed I am to be able to stay home and work as a hair stylist. Hence the scissors as my good luck charm. I have been able to be here with our kids, get to talk to and interact with great people AND earn some extra money. Sometimes the money has been to help us make it through the month, other times to take a vacation and still others to just feel safe for the financial unknown down the road. Sometimes the interaction saved me from feeling crazy and cooped up and other times I like to think I helped them feel renewed and uplifted as they left. From the hair or the conversation, it really doesn't matter which one. I know this isn't luck per say and actually a blessing but I think of how hard it would have been if I didn't have this skill. I might have had to go to work outside the home or even worse watch other kids here all day (my house is too small for that).
Check out the list of other
Lucky people here.
*Update*
The stove will cost $200 to fix!! What in the world, I'll say it again, it is only 18 months old!! The guy just blew me off and said well, I have seen this need to be done in a stove only 6 months old. Well, thanks that makes me feel so much better (right). I've given up on nice appliances lasting 15 years. Ugh!!
22 comments:
Melanie, I have an alarm clock that is about 20 years old too. Ok maybe about 15 or 16. But I love it. I never wake to it, Joey is my alarm clock. Love your blog!
melanie,
this is brilliant!
Great post Melanie.
That's pretty funny about the alarm clock!
I like the meaning you found behind ths scissors. Very thoughtful.
I can't believe you have that expense after 1 1/2 years. So sorry!
What a great post. I think that is such a great blessing, that you are able to stay home and work as a hair stylist:)
Yes it is so windy today. I HATE the wind.
Your scissors are a gread lucky tool! I have told so many people over and over how I wished I did beauty school. I am laughing about the blue alarm clock--classic.
Bummer about the stove. Isn't there some kind of warranty?
Umm I meant great.
Beautifully written Melanie, and a cool picture too.
This is a great post. I wish I could come over andhave those lucky hands do something with my hair.
I love it! That was a great post and I enjoyed reading. I love this "tuesday" thing. Too funny about the alarm clock. I can only wake to my cell phone put under my pillow. I know strange.
hey that was really cool!! the alarm clock cracks me up-20 years rock on!!
Wow Mel...I have been amazed at reading your blog. It's great that you have finally confessed to the fam!! Haha. You are really good at this! I love your self portrait, it makes me want to try the same shot. Maybe we should compare and see how much alike we really look! Love ya!
I will never get rid of my brush because I bought it in 1990 and it says West Germany on it. Cool idea for your lucky charm.
It's beautiful when you can see the luck in your everyday work. It really is a blessing to be able to stay home and help your family financially at the same time.
sorry about the stove.
As a recipient of your lucky charm, can I just say I'm so lucky, too! You have always done an incredible job with my hair and I appreciate it greatly.
I'm just reading down the list of all the posts...and I love this! I think every time I pick up scissors I'll remember your post!
this is perfect! i love what your scissors have brought you in life. great post!
Melanie, I just found out about your blog, and I love it! I can't believe I didn't know about it sooner. I have enjoyed looking back and reading through your thoughts. I feel like I have gotten to know you better. Oh yeah, and I totally agree that you and Shaila look more alike than Milo. :) You are both beautiful!
Great post. Once again, I wish you lived by me so you could do my hair. I love what you had to say about your lucky charm.
So sorry about your stove. Things just arent' made as well as they used to. I can't believe it will cost so much!
I have saved thing like the clock that I just don't want to give up.
definitely lucky! and talented!
I love it. I think doing hair is the perfect thing to do at home -- like you said, not only does it provide extra money but also adult interaction!
When we had to buy a new fridge after only 5 years, we read somewhere that appliance companies are purposely not making them to last like they used to, so we have to buy them more frequently! What in the world?
wonderful choice and says a lot about you with the scissors and your gratitude to be able to be home...
Post a Comment