Tuesday, September 04, 2007

SPT- The End of Summer

This is the first year (and the only one to come for a long time) that the end of summer has left me with only one kid! And he's 4 so it is way easier than in the end of summers past to run errands. Today Dane and I cruised to the store. It is so easy to take one child, especially when he can walk next to you without running away (ok, he ran once). Oh how I wished it were some other store than Walmart but if you'll recall, it's the only store in our town for life essentials. Usually I don't cuss the place out but today it was bad! Huge lines, tons of people, not enough checkers and everyone had a full cart. It's my own fault though...first of the month after a holiday weekend. What was I thinking?! Here's Lelly's challenge.

The other end of summer things on my list are...

-get a haircut as soon as possible! I've let it go all summer with being sick and now I am sick of it! I'm like the shoemakers kid that never has any shoes!

-one cleaning project every couple days. Last week the pantry, this week another closet or two and some kitchen cupboards. My whole life and house were neglected this summer.

-Start realizing I'm going to have a baby around here. I do know this fact, I just haven't gotten anything ready or cleaned out places to put this new baby. I have plenty of time but with all the holidays and the big kids birthdays I fear time will run away from me if I'm not prepared.

So...next week for SPT I'm trying to be brave enough to post some seriously questionable photos of me when I was younger. I'm not doing anything wrong, mostly it's my hair that is wrong. I definitely had some awkward phases. Should I do it? Will you do it?


*I just had to add this one little edit- I now KNOW why my mom used to put us to bed so early (by 7pm, sometimes earlier)! We were cranky and tired no doubt! After coming home from school today, the kids had a snack, did homework, watched only 30 minutes of tv, we ate dinner, had a bath, Milo read to them and they were IN bed by 7pm. And they were asleep by 7:15. It was a whirlwind of an afternoon and I'm almost as tired as they are. I'm sure it wont be this early all year and they'll get used to the schedule but it's one of those things you figure out when you are a parent. My mom wasn't crazy and rude. We NEEDED it!!

25 comments:

jenny said...

I had no idea we had a challenge today. Thanks for the reminder! I just posted mine. Cute self portrait. How did you get your's so clear?

Good luck on all the projects!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Do it. Do it. Do it. (Can you hear the sing-song in my chant?) I want to see them.

WalMart WAS a zoo, wasn't it. We had to venture there, too, for college basics for Ande.

Elizabeth said...

Yes post the pictures. We all had those stages. Running errands with one is so much easier. Enjoy it while you can.

Anonymous said...

Are you complaining about the hairdos I used to give you again? Of course I thought your 'dooooos' were darling. I vote you post the different styles I used to give you.......... Maybe put on the bell bottom pants too! Love, MOM

becca said...

So cute!! I didn't realise SPT started again, but I am glad!!

And DEFINITELY post those photos...I love old photos!!

Anna said...

Waiting for the old photos. Come on...bring sexy back!

Laurie said...

I'm glad you did the challenge today. I think you are looking great, though I understand the summer hair neglect- I did the same for all of us!

Jill said...

Cute picture.

I totally get the early bedtime during the school year and I love it. We're trying to ease the kids into it right now and have gone from 9:00 this summer, to 8:30, to 8:15 but when daylight savings starts they'll be down to 7:30. It's glorious.

Anonymous said...

Just remember, someday, you'll get to go to Walmart BY YOUR SELF. It's awesome. Everything just seems brighter, when you don't have someone asking you a million times if you can buy something, or you don't have to corral them into staying by you, or you don't have to tell them a hundred times, stop touching that. It's all good!

Walmart is ALWAYS a zoo these days. When I do my magazines, at 7 in the morning, huge lines and a million people. I think the only safe time is midnight. Really.

::lindsay said...

Love the picture with Wal-Mart in the background! It made me laugh because it reminds me of ML! Don't get me started on Walmart though. I'm right there with you. I always say to myself, "This is the last time I'm coming here." Then I'm at Walmart later in the day because I forgot something the first time.

Unknown said...

i will definitely be back here next week to check out your hair!! and i don't mean the haircut you plan on having soon! i mean the way it WAS!!

Angie said...

you never ever go to walmart on around the first of the month...hello...welfare checks come out then. it just makes everything crazy.

donna said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
donna said...

What a cute spt.:)
Ok i want to see the seriously questionable photos of you :)

Christina said...

i hear ya on bedtime! although mine are getting up at 645 so they MUST go to "coloring time in their rooms" at 8pm and then its LIGHTS OUT by 830-and they are all asleep in 10 minutes..I LOVEEEE IT!

walmart--i'll keep the cussing to myself as well..we have literally a walmart at this one shopping center on the LEFT and RIGHT ACROSS THE STREET is target- kind of a no brainer on that one!!!

Price Cream Parlor said...

CUTE photo! Lovely to run an errand with one little! I love the early bedtimes! Starts now at 7:30 and goes up until 9pm. LOVE it! We all need it!

Anonymous said...

Cute picture of you! My kids were so tired yesterday, too! I think it must be all that structure crammed into them for the first time in months -- it's exhausting!

Have fun with your one!

Diana said...

Great post Melanie. Walmart is a back to school essential. Not my favorite store at all but they do have cheap prices.
Life must be great with one kid at home. I can only dream.
I can't wait to see pictures of you as a kid. WE all had weird hair come one it was the 80's when we were in elementary school :)

Buffy said...

loved your post. I hear ya on having the kids in bed early. They need it and so do us parents. :D I need my kids to be in bed a few hours before I go to bed. That is the only quiet time all day besides the gym.

Wal Mart always seems to be a zoo for me...I pretty much hate the place but realize it is cheap and I love that about it. Good luck on all that you want to do and accomplish now that the kids are in school. :D

Barb said...

We do have similar SPT's this week! Costco was also crazy busy.

Liz said...

I do have to agree that shopping with only one child in tow is sooo much better and easier!

I can relate to the kids NEEDING to be in bed at 7pm whether they feel like they are ready or not. Hailey has been having so many meltdowns (typical for her, just more than usual) and I know it is because she needs more sleep. So do I!!!

Brianne said...

Venturing out with kids is always fun. I do our weekly grocery shopping with both kids and I'm sure Jayni thinks I'm a terrible mom. I make her sit in the cart surrounded by all our groceries. She always asks to walk but she will never stay close by so it's always a no if I have Mason also. She does get to walk when we got out just the two of us though.

Cute picture of you and Dane!!!

carlo said...

great pic! so cute.

i can't wait to see the pics., i hope to find some of mine...

loving that spt is back. i am double posting next week b/c i am a dork and forgot that it was spt. well actually with the holiday i thought tues was monday anyway so look for mine next week! :)

michelle said...

This is the very thing I was going to post for spt -- until it passed me by! So funny about needing to realize you're going to have a baby. I did all kinds of prep during my last pregnancy, but it didn't seem real. Even after Eva was born, I would tell Jill "apparently I have a baby!". Weird.

I'm sick for you that Walmart is your only option. I go there every now and then when I'm sucked in by the low prices, and I always leave swearing never to return. sigh.

Marion said...

I'm sure the hugs/kisses have helped her, Mel. I know that's what I needed and wanted as a child but my parents weren't touchy/feely parents. Consequently, that made me feel like they didn't love me because I needed that from them. Thanks for recognizing that need in Kathryn and thanks for reminding me that I need to be a better "GraMimi" to her. I want her to feel I love her as much as I do the boys. Her self-esteem will grow with that need being met.