We survived our day of working at my Granny's house. I really love my Grandma, she's the only one I've ever grown up with and she has some good intentions. She's the unique kind of grandma that hurts your feelings by telling you that you'd look so much cuter 15 lbs thinner or if you did *insert anything* her way, it would be done so much better because she does everything right. So you see, a day of service at her house isn't exactly the way you'd want to spend a Sat. But with the family there it was much, much more enjoyable. I love my cousins, aunts and uncles!
Her house and yard are so far over grown and dead it's sad. The landscape and gardens were always so pretty when my grandpa was around and my grandma was still able to work and do it all. That's the problem really, she still wants
all of it done but can't do it herself. Oh the drama.
~co-conspirators~A month or so ago Kyle called and said he wanted to organize a 'cleaning up the yard party and maybe paint the house party' for the family that lives around here. It escalated to a much larger service project (to say the least). My Uncle Kent (looking amazing 100+ pounds thinner!) doesn't like to do anything on a small scale (ha) and once they found out the siding she has isn't sold anymore it turned into a 'let's reside her house and paint party'. A huge job but people, it needed to be done. I wish I could remember the joke about Kyle starting with a rock and it turning into an avalanche with Uncle Kent. I was laughing too hard to remember it.

I couldn't take one of the whole house because most of it had been demoed by Friday night but this is the lovely color. Light Blue Smurf house with Dark Blue Smurf trim. Seriously, no one in the family that I know of liked the color of her house. Well, except her. She was still standing by that choice as it was getting painted over. It was awful. Kyle had the job of helping her choose a new color, no one else wanted it. She wanted Mint Green. Or Aruba Aqua. Yikes. His job wasn't easy but he laid it out on the line and told her no crazy colors.

She does oil paintings and when they were going back and forth with colors, she told Kyle she was a painter and knew what colors went together. He lovingly (?) reminded her that we were painting a house not flowers and her choices were limited! I have no idea of the names of the new colors above but who cares about that. It looks SO much better. About 400% or so, ha!

Nathan loves to work outside. He wanted to prune every bit of her rose bushes. And rake it all up. And generally get in the way to help. We had 13 kids 'helping' us out and there were no injuries. Success.

These girls worked on her rock garden for 2+ hours. It was so bad. I got annoyed with a half dead rose bush and had my cousin rip it out. But unfortunately with it came a bunch of daffodil bulbs. Oops! Aunt Louise was so funny and kept getting more and more bulbs in her hands and not be too happy about it. They may or may not grow back and I'm pretty sure we don't care either way, ha!

I have no pictures of Dane's face or of Kathryn. They ran around all day long. A good day for them for sure. I sent Becky a bunch of Carter though. That kid cracks me up.

Preston in this fabulous vintage bouncy seat and not loving it at all.

I really do have the best cousins and aunts and uncles. I love my family and love that they are willing to help get things done even when the job isn't high profile. A big thank you to Milo and all the other spouses that helped our Granny out. Seriously I know there were at least 20 other places they would rather have been but they helped with minimal complaining and tantrums. And no fighting either. Only jokes and good times.
11 comments:
Becca Boo might have blogged about it first but yours was way more informative and entertaining! Not to brag or anything! Great pictures and great stories! I sorta wish I was a fly on the wall when Kyle had that paint conversation with Granny Great. I can just hear the defeat in her voice! I'm sure the place looks amazing. Props to Kyle and Dad for being so ambitious. I almost wish I could've been there to help. Almost.
Wow! I love those colors. Way to go Kyle. It just won't be the same not pulling up to the smurf house, though. It will be much, much better. I bet the neighbors are loving you guys about now! I'm with Brenda...wish I could have been there...almost!
Well, the neighbors aren't loving it yet Holly, its still part smurf(the back), part black tar paper with no siding yet, and part brand spanking beautiful new. As Melanie said, it was an avalanche that will take a few more visits to finish off. A note to DeeAnn-you have wonderful, sweet kids. They are a credit to you! Not to brag or anything, but my kids are great too! (I had to say that so they would help us finish the job).Really, it was a joy working with everyone there. Louise
I am dying over the paint color conversations! That's pretty great that you could have jokes and good times during a big project that not really anyone wanted to do...
I think it is so great that you all got together and did this for your grandma, even though it sounds like it was a ton of work!! Good for you!
I love all the comments! Too funny.
It was a fun day because of who was there. :) I agree the house will look much better once it's all done. It really was pretty funny when grandma great was trying to pick colors. Kyle and I were like "no way!!!!" She really wanted a light teal and then a rose color. "I don't think so!" And yes, the neighbors are jumping for joy. :)
The new colors of her house are so much better! How "fun" to serve your Grandma. Sounds like a project we need to do for Grandma Bushman, inside and out!
All great pictures. Love the one of Milo! What a great brother I have!!!!
What an amazing project, Nice going with all that extended family!
Where oh where did that bouncy seat come from! I must have one......
I admit to being a little slow on the repost, but dang the days fly by!! Awesome post Mel you have re-imspired me-I may head out one of the days and pick up a caulking gun and paint brush minus the 13 kids!
We do a service day like this at my grandma's house every year and it is a serious labor of love. I don't enjoy my cousins much anymore, because they either don't show up or the ones that do are so down-to-business they take the fun out of it.
My grandma can be a bit acidic too, but fortunately the things she says are directed to her daughters rather than her grandkids, phew! This year she said, "Jan, you sure do sweat a lot" (with disgust) to her daughter. Ouch.
Post a Comment