Sunday, June 15, 2008

Busy, Busy!

This past week has just flown by. D-day came and went (the last day of school) and I feel like I haven't stopped since. We survived Thursday and Friday home together all day long but man both days d r a g g e d on. I swear on Thursday I was feeling the difference of the day, thinking it was close to 5 but it was only 2! I hope there is some sort of pattern established around here and soon!

Milo met us for lunch when I picked up the kids on their last day. They were so excited to go out to eat with Dad during the day (they all commented on his work clothes). I tried to get them to choose somewhere else to besides McDonald's but they wouldn't budge with their decision. They wanted some Kung Fu Panda toys. Whatever to celebrate I guess.

I just can't believe how much older they look at the end of this school year. Taller, heavier, smarter and Kat's missing 3 more teeth! The day school got out we headed to the library to sign up for the summer reading program. They have been dying to go there but since I've had Reed, I haven't obliged. They had so much fun even though our library leaves much to be desired (so glad we are getting a new one!). They signed up for their own cards, picked out 10 books each and stayed relatively quiet. Success.

Thursday, Anna and I had planned an outing to meet up and let the kids run wild at the park and eat lunch. Reed was so good in his stroller, he loves that thing. And his thumb. The kids were crazy in the morning before we went though. They wanted to go back to the library for new books (they said they had already read every one they had checked out yesterday), go the park with Anna, have craft time, go get ice cream and then end up at the pool. HELLO??!! Who do they think I am? I couldn't even pretend to keep up that pace of entertainment. I assured them summer was many, many days long and we would fit it all in. Just not in the first 24 hrs! For the record, I did let them indulge in craft time in the afternoon. With paints, glue, googly eyes and markers (so not me).

Saturday was a packed day and I'm still tired from it. W started out the day by going to the city sponsored Fishing Derby. The kids loved it. For $5 they get a t-shirt, a fishing pole and are guaranteed 2 fish. They loved deciding if they wanted a worm (sick) or Powerbait on their hook to nab the fish. We are so glad Gramimi and Grandpop came and helped out, I know nothing of fishing!! Nathan loved it and reeled in both of his fish. Kat and Dane loved it too but truth be told I think Milo did their fishing for them.

After leaving the 'fishing hole' we went to the Vietnam Memorial Traveling Wall that was here this past week. It was nice to take the kids there and have them ask questions. Milo and Nathan actually saw a couple veterans break down and Milo was able to talk to Nathan about our freedoms. I worked on telling Kathryn and Dane about that (we were in 2 cars) but I felt like I didn't get anywhere. Right after telling them about fighting for freedom and the like Dane picked up this big rock from the parking lot and threw it at our own van. I'm glad it wasn't someone else's van but is was so random. 4 yr olds!

I thought this flag was really cool. There were two flying over a small monument for the emergency personnel that lost their life on 9/11.

After meeting the family crowd for lunch we headed to the pool. Not enough in one day I guess. The kids had a great time and played hard (we're still recovering today) with their cousins.

Milo and Matt took the babies over and put their feet in the water. It wasn't that warm and neither one of them cried so I'm calling it a success. I hope Reed likes the water once he's a little older and can hold his own in a floaty boat. Babies in swim suits and sun hats are my favorite. I love their chubby legs and arms!

After the pool (yes there's more), we went back to Marion's for some Cafe Rio inspired food that Shaila made. We have nothing of the like here so it's a treat. It was so good, thanks for doing all the work Lou. I didn't over do it but apparently Reed thought I did. He's not a fan and his tummy has been a little upset today. At least I don't do that everyday right? We topped it off with some homemade Fried Ice Cream. It was dang good too!

And last for this post but most definitely not least...

Happy Father's Day Milo!!
You are one funny, loving, hard working, worthy Dad and each of these guys love you to death. As do I. Thanks for everything!!

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh. My. Goodness. Could you have fit one more thing in that weekend? It looks like you had lots of fun!

We are getting a new library?! How come I didn't know that? I'm so excited!

I wanted so badly to get out to the Vietnam Wall, but alas, just couldn't put it all together to go. Bummer. (Maybe I can talk Terry into taking me to the real one. Ha.)

Cafe Rio sounds so good right now. How about a run to Utah? You up for that? ;)

See you at the pool!

Kristin said...

This post just exhausted me! You are a wild mama! I consider one outing a day an amazing feet and I still only have TWO crazies! I think you need to teach me some stuff!

Carolyn said...

Holy wow. That was a lot of stuff to fit into one short weekend. Sounded like fun. I wish I was home to babysit those darn cute kids you have!

becca said...

Wow...you have been busy. It is going to be a LOOOONNNGG summer for you if everyday is as busy as your first weekend! Sheesh! :) I love the pictures, Reed is so big and so cute!

Korbi said...

yeah for busy days! ( no, not really!) Glad you survived... I'm still trying to figure out why I bought a swim pass thinking that I could go by myself chasing Beck around and nursing Paisley at the sa,e time... Hmmmm, not really thinking was I?

Brenda said...

I'm going to go take a nap now...

jenny said...

You still may be tired, but I am exhausted for you reading about it. What a jam packed week of fun! I hope the first week of summer is low key for you guys. Okay I am dying how big Reed is getting. That photo of him sucking his thumb is too cute. I hope Milo had a great Father's Day!

Heidi said...

Sheesh! Busy girl and busy family! I can't believe you did all that. Sounds like fun though. :)

Do you remember having the kids fish at the pumpkin patch farm? What were we thinking of keeping the fish acting like we were going to cook it or something?! HA! Don't tell me you did the same thing with the fish they caught. :)

Shaila Lou said...

So I've been slacking for many reasons and got on my google reader today...34 unread posts...are you kidding me. Five of which are from you!

It was great seeing you guys and spending time together this weekend! Thanks for sending me the pictures of the babies!! So so cute!!

Also thank you for the fried ice cream!! I'm wanting to make some and keep it in my freezer to eat every night!!

Amie said...

That is the cutest picture of Reed in the hat... and Milo's breadwinner hat is funny too.

That fishing deal is awesome... very fun for the kids.

Holly said...

Holy cow...that was quite the week! Sounds fun though. Your family keeps getting cuter and cuter! Happy Fathers Day Milo...we've always thought rocked!!

Barb said...

Good reminder - I need to check out the summer reading program here. Happy Summer.

Laurie said...

I came by to comment b/c I got dragged away from this post a couple days back.

The fishing derby sounds so cool. I haven't heard of that before, but I love the idea for the kids. As a kid I was always asked if I liked to fish b/c our last name was Fisher!

I hope the long days have gone well this week. I fear I am not organized enough to satisfy the interests of kids during the summer. My mom used to take us to the beach and pool a couple days a week. Fun...lots of wet laundry... that won't be happening a lot this summer. We'll have laundry of another kind.

donna said...

what a fun weekend :) You were so busy!!!!!!!