Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Moving on in His Life

For weeks now Nathan has been practicing his graduation song (see videos in the post below), 'Watch me as I graduate, as I move on in my life'. It has been cracking me up. Moving on in life right up to first grade, ha! We would be driving around town and he would start singing it to himself out of nowhere. I love it when he does that, it proves their minds are never, ever still. We gave him that little balloon and some candy not thinking he would be interested in a sweet bouquet of flowers.

All Reed wanted was Nathan's shiny balloon. All Kat wanted was to have a kindergarten class as cool as Nathan's. And all Dane wanted was to climb on the tables and eat cookies. None of that was surprising. We were so glad Gramimi could join us. She held Tankus (Reed) the whole time so mom and dad could run the cameras. Thanks!

Nathan's teacher is so amazing! I really can't say enough about Mrs S. She helped the kids reach their potential and I feel like she got Nate out to a great start for school. I know that sounds dramatic since this is just kindergarten but really, this is how all teachers should be!! All year she has been so encouraging and positive. I for one am really going to miss her as Nathan's teacher.

And we loved out teacher's aide, Mrs L. She is my aunt's sister so I've known her forever it seems (follow that?). She loves the kids and they love her right back. When we went on the field trip, kids just kept going up to her and giving her hugs. And she gave them right back. Thanks teachers!!

This is the pile of art work we came home with (missing a couple more). Plus 4 books, a writing journal, an ABC portfolio and a song book. I had to take a picture of it, am I really required to keep all this stuff for 20 years? I do love the sunflower he drew and painted. That I might keep. His favorite is the one on bottom left. It has a vellum cover that shows rain and when you lift the vellum, it's sunny. He thinks he's quite clever, ha!

Nathan, I can't believe you are 6 1/2 and that you have finished your first year of school. I have loved your attitude this year both in learning and obedience. I have learned right along with you.I learned you are loyal to your friends and will stick up for them and play with them when no one else will. You root for the underdog. I learned that you love math and reading and you retain most all of what you are taught. I learned that you can make an absolute mess with ketchup at lunch and not care for one second that you are a huge mess. I learned that you always keep your promises. I learned it's a good thing to let you go and I can trust you to always tell me the truth. Stay little just a bit longer, I love you at this age!!

19 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh, whoa, what a tribute to Nathan. He is such a good boy. I love the things you told about him (sticking up for the underdog, the ketchup, loyalty, etc.). I agree, that sunflower picture is a real keeper.

Carolyn said...

My mom used to keep ALL of my stuff. Eventually she did end up junking some of it, but I got to keep my most favorite art projects. And now I love looking at them! It is so fun. Nathan looks like he did quite a bit this first year of school. Yay Nathan!

Granny DeeAnn said...

My little buddy! Let's wrestle now Nathan! I'm sure he could knock the socks of this granny really fast. First Grade! Wow! Look Out, Here Comes Nathan!!! :0)

Christina said...

i dont have any of my stuff--so im not keeping any of their stuff--rude i know..taking photos counts i say!

Korbi said...

oh my gosh, I remembered when I moved here and Dane had just been born and Nathan was an itty bitty. Is that a clip on tie?? too cute!

Lucy said...

Cute, cute stuff. They take it all so seriously now! I don't know about 20 years, but I've been busted getting rid of "portfolio" stuff too early so now I just stick it all in a box. I'll weed through it someday:)

congrats to your big nathan.

donna said...

oh what a sweet post.. Nathan is so cute..

I am also so SAD. My baby is going to be in 1st grade in the fall. What will i do??

Amie said...

I recently scanned in all of the kids stuff I had saved... I am so over the clutter (although you wouldn't know that if you came for a visit).

Last year when I asked Jessica the best part of turning 10 she said, "just getting on with it" when I said with what!? she responded, "life" - kids are funny.

It is always a good feeling to complete a successful school year.

becca said...

So sweet! What a great post for him! I love the pictures
!

Barb said...

That vellum picture really is clever. Congratulations Nate on a great kindergarten year!

Anna said...

How is any of this ok or possible. Didnt we just have these kids?
The videos below are hillarious-so Nathan!

Heidi said...

Nathan looks so grown up in his picture with his teacher. He's a cute kid. And I don't know what to say about all that art work. I'm too sentimental so I'd probably keep some of it, but I would hate storing all of it for the next 20 years.

Holly said...

What a handsome little guy! I can't believe he'll be in first grade. Hope you have a fun summer!

Brenda said...

I use a big manila envelope. I have two now, one for Kinder and one for first grade. They can chuck it later right? He looks so big and so old. What a sweetheart!

Laurie said...

What a darling boy and great year.

Taking a picture of the special stuff or scanning it sounds like a great idea. I have a hard time parting with art work, certificates, etc but in reality it is impossible and crazy to keep it all.

jenny said...

How in the world did I get so behind on your blog?? Anyways, fun to catch up and teachers really are amazing people aren't they? We have only had one teacher that I didn't care for (which I consider to be quite lucky). I am cracking up at the thought of him singing. Too cute :)

Becky Noftle said...

Wanna come swimming to celebrate the end of school?

Shaila Lou said...

Congratulations to Nathan!! I can't believe he's already this old. What a fun, cute boy...I'm proud to be his Auntie Lou!!

Brianne said...

Congrats, Nate for finishing kindergarten! And congrats to Kathryn for finishing 1st grade.

I don't keep anything. Of course I haven't had the kids go through school yet but all the artwork they do at church eventually gets chucked.