Thursday, June 26, 2008

Generous with a Capital G

Since I've been such a slacker in the blogging department I keep forgetting to mention my outing next week. I am going to see my mom in Vegas! I'm so excited. Just Reed and I were planning on going for a little down time, until yesterday.....

Yesterday my mom called and said her friend called her and asked if she wanted the other 3 grandkids to come down too. Well of course she did but really the funds were not there so that's why it was a trip for just Reed and I (love having a free baby). She offered to buy tickets for the other 3 kids so we could all be there. Can you say GENEROUS?!! Thank You, Thank You (you know who you are). Without Milo (sob, sob!) but still, we are WAY excited. It was 3 years in March since we have been able to take the kids down there and they were so little back then the only thing they remember is when Milo took them to the M&M factory. Dane was only 1 1/2!! They have all changed so much since then, especially Dane. Anyway, we are very blessed to be going (say a prayer for me flying with them alone and share your tried and true tips) and can't wait for a getaway. It will be a different kind of getaway than was first planned but I've gotten used to my cheese being moved (a book about change--Who Moved My Cheese) and I'm really looking forward to it. With the 109^ temps we probably wont be outside much unless it involves water!! Look out mom, you are about to be overrun with kids, ha!

Yesterday was a day of generosity all around! My grandma was here on Tuesday and she said the cherries were ripe. Yum, I love the cherries in the orchard behind her house. I called my aunt and asked if I could come and pick some. Instead she said she was coming to 'town' and would bring me some. Oh they have been so good, I can't keep the kids out of them either. They are Rainier Cherries and I'm pretty sure if you find some they wont be as good as these (family grown and all) but if you do, try them. They are ripe like this and are not a dark cherry.

Today we went to the water park and we lasted the longest we have all year. We were there for a little over 3 hours and the kids did so good. Isn't my little buddy in his rash guard and swim trunks so cute? I love these shirts, who cares about the little farmer tan they get, I love that I only have to sunscreen their head and ears. I especially love the one Kat wears, that girl can burn in 65^ weather and so far this year it's only been her cheeks (a first!).

They have some new fun stuff at the park this year. A flowrider attraction where you can body surf or try actual surfing standing up. And a couple twisty slides. The big kids have been waiting a couple years to be tall enough. They are so, so close. Within a 1/2 inch close. So today they went up the 4 flights of stairs and I saw Kathryn turn and head back down. But not Nathan. They said he was tall enough. Random since they are almost exactly the same height. He was thrilled. And the second he went down the slide, he walked right back up all 4 flights of stairs and went down again. Repeat, at least 35 times. Seriously, he went down and back up for 30 minutes and with no lines he would just sit right down and ride again. I was just sitting there watching (a little ways away) and finally he started walking over to me. I thought he had finally had his fill. Apparently when the life guards made their switch, the new one felt Nathan wasn't tall enough. Annoying! I'm just glad he got all those rides in who knows what the next guy will say. He tried surfing standing up too. They have a big heavy rope for the little kids to hang on to. His only hang up today was when he fell he would forget to let go of the rope. Arh! Next time deserves photos! I love having water dogs for kids. They love, love going to the water park.

16 comments:

Heidi said...

Rude lifeguard for not letting Kathryn go- he's probably a women hater!!! :)

Have fun in Vegas with 4 kiddos and best wishes for flying with all of them. aahhhhh!!!! (Stock up on Benadryl- just kidding!)

donna said...

how fun, going to Vegas..... How long will you be gone??????



OH i so love the cherries this time of year. I have been eating the cherries all week.......!!!!

becca said...

I am so happy you get to take all the kids, i am sure they are thrilled!
I was surprised how good my kids did flying. With their own seats, lots of snacks and a TV to watch they were in heaven. The only hard part is security check...everyone has to take off shoes and jakets (shouldn't be too bad in summer) and I had forgotten about the liquid rule and had hand sanatizer and lip gloss in my purse so they had to stop and search my bag. Other than that, it honestly was not bad AND was so worth it!


Your water park looks great, and NO lines is fantastic!

Barb said...

What a great water park! I love Rainier Cherries that I get at the farmer's market, lucky you family grown.
Have a great vacation!

Holly said...

I'm so excited you all get to go to Vegas!! Hooray! I hope you have a wonderful trip!! You can bring a little dvd player for the kids to watch a movie...buy a new movie for the trip that always helps. Good luck...and have a BLAST!!!Don't fry down there...its "burstin" hot as Tyson says!

Amy said...

How great that all of your kids get to go with you. I've traveled with my two alone and I've found people to be extremely helpful. Just give yourself plenty of time, but not too much (you don't want to have to battle airport boredom) and you'll do fine. Also bring gum for the kids to chew during takeoff and landing. It will distract them from, and maybe even help, the pressure buildup in their ears.

Carolyn said...

I bet the kids are so excited to go see grandma! That is so fun.

The Hiltons said...

Hey! I can't believe how big Reed is getting. Why o why does it go so fast. You are amazing to keep up with the blogging. Have a super fun time in Vegas. That's so great that all the kids get to go.

Korbi said...

I remember when I was in Disneyland, I was like 5 and I was too short to ride anything. Talk about a bummer deal. I'm with you Kat!

Laurie said...

That slide looks so fun!! What a great place to take the kids! Love Reed in the suit.

Good luck getting ready for Vegas. SOunds wonderful. So far most of my friends tell me that flying with kids isn't as bad as you would imagine. You'll have to report back and let me know. So far I haven't done it.

::lindsay said...

Love me some cherries!

I can't wait to go to the Aquatic Center this year! It looks like so much fun.

Have fun in Vegas!

Brenda said...

I'm so excited for you! Vegas Baby! I flew alone with my 3 kids last year. I had the big kids pack their own carry-on backpacks with a mini DVD player and movies, coloring books, toys and snacks. They were so good. I also put them in slip on shoes, since you have to take them off to go through security. Oh, and I let them pick out their own pack of gum too. They felt super cool. Good luck and have fun!

Shaila Lou said...

Reed looks so cute in his swim gear. I have yet to find Winston any...in the store. I'm ready to buy some online now.

So do the kids wear their water shoes in the water...maybe that would make them taller!

Good luck and have fun in Vegas. Sad we're going to miss you all!

Granny DeeAnn said...

OK, I have every snack in the world along with water, gatorade, milk, apple juice, and soda!!! (and I have GUM!) Just remember they are coming to GMa's house to live by GMa's rules!!! Can't wait for Tuesday!

Lucy said...

That is so great that you get to go to Vegas. Have fun! I miss the ease of finding Washington Cherries. They look so delicious.

That waterpark looks like a blast and yes, your little one looks beyond adorable.

Liz said...

Have fun on your trip! Good luck with all four kiddos! DO you have a portable dvd player? That always helps with my kids.