Tues
Our plane was supposed to leave at 5:55 pm. We were there early with Happy Meals to snack on while we waited to board the plane. I fed Reed and he was ready for a nap the whole way. It was aproaching 5:45 (when they told us we would start to board) and I quickly ran the kids to the bathroom so we would all be good to go for the 2 1/2 hour plane ride. It got later and later and no mention of why we weren't boarding. And from the crowd you could tell the plane was booked so they couldn't be selling more tickets (one of their sneaky tricks). Finally they came clean, there was a light bulb out and it would have to be changed and then the entire plane checked again before it would be cleared to fly again. Ugh! Now the kids were getting hungry again, including Reed, and at the little airport we were at, no restaurants. So I spend a bunch of money on pretzels, $2 waters, tic tacs, cookies and gum. We finally got on board after 8 pm!! We didn't land in Vegas until 10:45 pm. The kids were so tired but I do have to give them credit. They manage to keep it together the entire time. The only time I was about to lose it was when I kept hearing...'Are all of these yours?'....'Wow, you are one brave mom.'....and the very rudest, 'You're crazy!'. I was starting to stare back hoping I was letting them know I wasn't amused with their stupid comments.
{Kat helping out with Reed}
We were so happy to hear Grandma's voice around the corner. She was able to get a gate pass and meet us right there at the gate. And we needed her that time of night! The whole time we were flying I kept thinking how awful it was that I was going to have to turn around and do it again on Sun. Thankfully that faded away with each day and by Sunday, no worries. The kids crashed into bed at midnight and once I unwound (2:30!) I slept like a rock too. A huge thanks to mom's friend Kelli, she let us borrow her van so we could drag the crew around!
Wed

We woke up and went to Walmart for a few essentials (it's closer to my mom's house than Target and it was a quick jaunt before lunch. otherwise you know which one I'd choose) and bought the kids a slip n slide. Hands down the best $8 we spent on the trip. They have gone out there every day since and haven't ever cared about the heat.
{outside the car window while we were waiting in crazy traffic}
The news reported that starting on Thurs there would be an extra 150,000 people arriving daily for the holiday weekend and to expect crowds everywhere around town. All of this kept comfirming to me that I hate crowds. Especially with kids! Oh and temps well over 100^. We decided that if we were going to take the kids to see the lights of the strip and the fountains at the Belagio we should do it that night. Oh man, it was so crazy. I felt panic at least twice taking three walking kids and a stroller through thousands and thousands of people. The kids did have fun and were in complete awe. (I was too, at all the near naked people but that's a whole different post in itself!)
A massive chocolate fountain at the Belagio. Amazing. You can see in the last photo how high above your head it really is.The funniest part of that night cannot be truly appreciated written down but I just can't forget it. It was late due to waiting to see the lights until dark and the kids were tired. Honestly I'm so driven by bedtime that they were living wild staying up past 11pm two nights in a row. Anyway, we stopped at McDonald's and got the kids an ice cream cone. They took forever, messed up our order (we let them know in stereo...read, both mom and I getting louder at the same time about how can they mess up ice cream cones, ha) and our nerves were shot with the heat and the walking and the kids. We were almost home when this HUGE cricket runs across the dashboard towards my mom and I let out a blood curdling scream. I hate (HATE!) crickets. They are so gross, they run too fast and they are all over down there. Anyway, I sucessfully freak out the whole car with my scream and instead of slowing down, my mom speeds up to just get us home. Then the cricket runs down onto her leg, she screams, the baby is screaming now and of course Nathan decides to join in. Oh my!! In the middle of the cricket commotion, my mom passes 4 motorcycle cops and without even waiting for their lights, she pulls right over. The funniest part of that is when we left for downtown, she mentioned that this particular road was a speed trap and now we were right in the middle of it! The cop was so annoying. He could hear both Reed and Nathan crying (Reed screaming) and he was SO slow. Going back and forth to his motorcycle, looking at papers, whatever he did he took his sweet time. No matter that is was late and all the tears. In fact, he was so slow, he told me I could get out and comfort my baby. This pretty much sent me over the edge. I told him no that I needed to get home and nurse him and then said (I can't believe I said it!) it would be helpful if he would hurry up so that we could get home and I could feed him. Who tells a cop to hurry up? Even with that, he didn't give my mom a ticket (she was proud of that) and we finally made it back to the house. But Nathan didn't come away from it scarred, for the rest of the week, he wouldn't let his feet touch the floor of the van while we were driving around. Now he is totally freaked out about crickets. Why do we do this to our kids? It did provide much entertainment for the rest of the week so I guess you could say it was worth it?
Thurs
Granny DeeAnn's birthday. Happy Birthday Mom, it was great to spend it with you and 4 of your crazy grandkids. In the morning I did her hair (it was way overdue) and the kids were content to sit and veg in front of TV watching Boomerang (they love the classic cartoons on that station). Her friend brought her our favorite cake from Las Vegas, a Nothing Bundt Cake in chocolate chocolate chip. It was delish!
For dinner we brought home take out from Pei Wei (the sister bistro of PF Chang's, Yum!) and one of my best friends came over for dinner. So fun to see you Meg! Finally we had a day where they kids came close to their actual bedtime and were dead asleep by 8:30. Success!
Fri, July 4th
One more venture downtown. We ate lunch at The Rainforest Cafe which is inside the MGM Grand. The kids had a good time and they were only mildly concerned when the 'storm' blew through every 20 minutes.
I've decided all these pictures of Kat with her extreme gummy mouth are going to be so funny once she actually gets her teeth. She is missing 4 on top and 2 on bottom (not sure if there's room for that many) and at this point we hope they grow in sometime this year. Still such a cute girl with grandma.
I only have a couple photos showing proof that I was even on this Vegas Vacation. Most days I did my hair but if we were planning on spending much time out in the heat I opted out of makeup. It would just sweat off anyway!We did try the mall but dang it, all those people got off early because of the holiday. We came home, let the kids do a few sparklers and
Sat
I wanted to take some cute photos of the kids, possibly frame worthy, but this is about all I got. It was just too dang hot and they let me know they weren't in the mood.
We went inside the temple for a potty break and the kids got to look around in the foyer area. I have fond memories of that temple since that's where I grew up and the one I went to as a youth. It's so pretty. I love seeing something that looks exactly like my memories. My mom took this sweet picture of Reed while we were inside.We really had fun, I'm so grateful for the gift that enabled the kids to go to my mom's house. I'm sure they'll be talking about it for weeks. Now we're just getting back into the daily business of running a family. So far, so good. They have slept in the past two days and I'll never turn away a gift like that!

22 comments:
Your visit was the best birthday present I could have asked for. (just missing Kate & Preston) Thanks to my BFF for getting Kat, Nate, and Dane here too. The time went way too fast. Can't wait to see all in August! Thanks to Nathan and Reed for getting me out of a speeding ticket! That's a first!! :o)
I love the recap, although the cricket story was horrifying because I was on the phone with you and thought you were being mugged!
Im glad you got to see your momma!
Oh what a fun trip you had. The massive chocolate fountain. YUMMY!!!
OK the cricket story is the best........
I love your details, Melanie. Hooray for Milo's M&M's. I'll be sure to pick out my yellow and green ones from every packet now and save them for him.
Thanks for the fun pictures and little details.
I didn't know you were getting yellow and green M&M's for Milo- how cute is that?! Love it.
Thanks for the laughs. I love Kat's gummy smile (and "will all the teeth fit in?" Funny!)
I thought you were driving during that cricket fiasco! But I'm glad you guys didn't get a ticket.
I remember that chocolate fountain- I thought it was so pretty. I'm glad you had fun and survived. Good for you, even if you are crazy! :)
You guys did so much in the heat and with the company of kids! Impressive.
I loved the cricket story... I am so glad your mom didn't get a ticket! Too funny.
I can't believe the Vegas temple has been there for 20 years. I am even older than I thought....
Plane delays are so annoying. It is funny how we swear we will never to it again (even to get home) and then we all do. I'm glad the trip home went better.
I hope Milo's new job goes well.
Thanks for sharing. Your trip sounded like it was so fun. I would have been the same way with the cricket. And oh, how I wish I could have a chocolate fountain like that at home!
I love how you make an excuse about why you went to Walmart! When possible, Target comes first!
I love the green and yellow M&Ms. They will look great on Milo's desk.
I can't believe the cop didn't give you a ticket even after you told him to hurry up. That happened to me once, Austin was screaming but I still got the ticket!
(there was no cricket involved, however)
Reed is so adorable! I love the thumb in the mouth.
I guess what I really love about taking Reed's picture, is that he hasn't learned to do the 'fake' smile yet! Please don't let the other boys teach him!!! :o)
A number one: Kat is really missing 6 teeth?! That is terrible. Brent died laughing when I told him that though. She is pretty cute without them though.
B number two: I hope I look at hot as you do when I have 4 kids. :D
C number three: I don't like crickets either. That is such a funny story though...I only wish I could see you telling it...
I seriously chuckled out loud about the crickets. It must be the heat because they are ALL over our new house. You would for sure have the willies around here. Those M#M's will look great on Milos desk. I almost ordered a specific color on line just because and I couldn't believe the price on those puppies!
That photo of the kids at the temple turned out darling. I say very frame worthy. Glad you had a fun trip! I am sure you were so happy to be back in milder temperatures :)
Oh, I laughed when I read you justifying your trip to Walmart instead of Target. As badly as I wish Target would come to Canada, I'm sure I would still go to Walmart nearby if Target were across town. Sometimes.
Sounds like a trip! Can't wait to hear the live version and to compare my trip from..... Anyway sick kids enough to have to throw away a car seat, my strep throat, and a goose egg the size of a boulder for just a sneak peek for ya! Talk to you soon, Kort
I'm so glad that you were able to go have a little "vacation" if that's what you can call it. I love the chocolate fountain. I just want to fill a cup up with that milk choco. Great pictures, and the cricket story...hilarious! So glad I could stay here longer to visit with ya!
way to go crazy cricket lady! hahah! Sounds like it was "eventful" and fun of course. :)
Holy Cow...that was a POST! What a great trip. That chocolate fountain is CRAZY!!
Funny cricket story...I am also a screamer around bugs so I can relate!
So happy the kids are sleeping in for you, I hope it continues!!
So it is almost 10 p.m. and I'm finally reading your post with no screaming kids. I loved all the detail. I felt like I was right there with you. That fountain is amazing. I liked how you took a picture of the facts (Dustin will enjoy that one). Ya I get annoyed with peoples comments about kids too...rude! You should have said, 'ya I'm pregnant with the 5th.' The cricket story was hilarious. You never told me that one! I'm glad the cop let you go...finally. Poor Reed! Enjoyed all the pictures and all the details!
What a blessing it was for your WHOLE family to go visit your mom. Now, are they all yours?! YOU'RE CRAZY!! LOL!
Now I must admit, I actually asked a woman that on the plane to Florida. No crazy comment, I think I said, "Wow, they're doing great!" It's not the amount of kids they're shocked about it's being brave enough to vacation with them without dad.
Loved the cricket story! My stepmom is filippino and in her culture crickets are good luck. When I was in high school, I killed one that was running across the floor and she wouldn't talk to me for 2 months. She can hold a grudge! Guess you don't have fillipino in your blood ;)
Fun trip! I am laughing about teh cricket/cop experience! SO funny!
Now, could you actually sample that chocolate fountain, or was it for looks only. I am wondering how they circulate the different chocolates without it all mixing together?
Hey Mel, I was so excited to see you and the kids, sorry I did not make it back over before you left, but I will be sure to visit you when I get up there the end of the month!! Love ya tons!!
You did it!! With flying colors. Love the cop story. So glad you didn't get a ticket. I would have said the same thing to him! That is so me in a bad moment.
What? A 2-hour delay to change a light bulb?? I hate plane delays when I'm traveling with kids!
The cricket story is so hilarious, I particularly loved the parts about you both telling the McD's people in stereo that they were doing a bad job and you reprimanding the cop and telling him to hurry up! Awesome.
I want to go to M&M World!!
Post a Comment