I've said it before but I am so ready for a routine. The random days of summer were fun at first but have definitely lost their charm. I need to be accountable with a time constraint, I need quiet time in the afternoon, I need to run errands with only 2 kids and not 4. And almost above all else, I need time to blog! Really.
They were all a buzz waiting to leave for school. I'm really happy with their teachers, Nathan has the same teacher Kathryn had last year. I don't want to do that every year but this woman lives for 1st grade. Kathryn is most excited for the classroom pets that her teacher has. A turtle and a hamster. I'm sure those animals wont know what hit them when she gets to them, she is a crazed animal lover.
Oh these guys are getting so old. Life was so hard when they were both young and while I wouldn't call it easy now, it's just a different kind of hard. My mom reminds me that's how every stage is. You trade your old 'hard' for a new 'hard'. I can attest to that and they're only (almost) 7 & 8. I love them so much and worry each day that I've armed them with what they need to have to be safe and happy in this world. It's not an easy job and as cheesy as this sounds, I wouldn't want any other one.
You can't tell by looking at this photo but Dane was in tears just moments before. I'm pretty sure he was feeling the stress of staying behind this morning. He turns 5 next Wed and so will have to wait another whole year for kindergarten. I'm really happy about that, it's just hard for him right now. He starts preschool next week and can't wait. I hope they're ready for him, ha!Since we've been home Dane has eaten 2 more breakfasts, a snack and insisted on calling his friend Kimble because he says buddies talk on the phone. Oh and he woke up Reed during his morning nap, claiming he was scared when I was in the shower. Bored seems like a better word than scared. He begged me to pack his lunch bag and while I was getting ready I just kept putting him off. Finally I told him, your school doesn't start until next week so we don't need to do that right now. He leaned into my ear with a serious look on his face and in a loud whisper said, 'Mom, my homeschool...'. Man, this kid has worn me out and it's only the first day. Thank heavens he's sleeping it off right now, he's had a busy morning, ha.
19 comments:
I will say this for trading in the old 'hard' for the new 'hard': Sometimes a change is as good as a rest.
Your initial pancakes are cute, I haven't done that in ages.
I know what you mean about trading the old hard for the new hard, but somehow the new hard feels easier or less demanding.
How great to get a teacher that lives for first grade!
Poor Dane, it must suck to be the one left behind.
Barb's comment is so wise and so true.
I forgot about your initial tradition until I saw the picture and then remembered it. I thought it funny you mentioned they were varying stages of brown...I'd have never noticed.
I feel a bit nostalgic/melancholy today. I know I'm supposed to live in the present. I know it's wise to live in the present. I know I should live in the present. But a piece of me is slipping into the past and remembering when all of the kids were home and so excited for the first day of school and me being excited to see all of the new opportunities for them. I guess it is what you said, trading old hard for new hard.
Oh I hope Dane adjusts to his big bro and sis being gone. My little Ashley has been pretty bored the past few days too. I am hoping we can get our own routine going... find a happy place!
Poor Dane-the really ought to have a place for the bored children like Dane and Dallin. I cant wait for Dane to start school!
The older 2, look just that older! So scary.
Watch out hamster and turtle!!! That's funny. I'm glad they have good teachers. That is what would make me nervous.
They look cute for the first day of school and I bet Dane can't wait until next week (you too). Cute idea with the pancakes.
I so want to be like you! I was showing Brent the pancakes you make on the first day of school each year and I said I want to do that too. He looked at it for a minute and said, "Wow, she must be good if she can do that." It was really funny...
Kat is looking so cute. I love her brown top. Of course the boys are darling too.
I do have hope that the new hard will be slightly less demanding. I can dream.
Love the initial pancakes!
Only 364 more days and Dane will be occupied!
Poor little Dane! Luckily it's already Thursday and preschool is just around the corner. It sounds like you will definitely need the break by then! ;)
Melanie
Thanks for the ride to my house! I HATE that dog somedays! I was about ready to throw him on the ground & try to stomp on him! You saved me & the dog! Ughhhh!
Love your cute pancakes & LOVE LOVE LOVE school! The 'new hard' is such a true statement! Life is always revolving & changing! I always say - "just keep swimming, just keep swimming!" (nemo was my all time fav. disney movie!) Thanks again for the picture - now I just need to work on the flash-in-the-face - maybe take some outdoor ones. Love your thoughts & cute pictures! You are a super - great mom! Lisa
Oh wow...school has started for you! I am so nervous for Noelle to start 1st grade, I don't want the summer to end (but I know once she is there and loving it, I will love it too).
I LOVE the initial pancakes. I might have to steal that one! I am so glad the teachers are good...what a difference that makes. I go up to the school today to find out who Noelle's teacher is.
LOVE the PANCAKES!! You are such a great mom:)
How did Nathan like going to school all-day?
Your mom is so right. Each stage is so different. We do trade old 'hard' for a new 'hard'.
Call me when you want to have lunch.. We will have to do this school year.....
How fun! Initial pancakes!
Poor Dane. Kaiya felt the same way yesterday.
They look adorable as always Mel!! I hope they have a GREAT year and you get a little more peace and quiet once Dane starts preschool!!
Your kids are adorable! They look so great for school. Hope everyone has a great year. Including Mom!
Such cute pictures. They look so grown up, it makes me sad. Seriously weren't they just babies a year ago! They look so excited...I still remember how excited I was every year for school to start. It gets less exciting every year! Oh can't they stay little!! I can't believe Kathryn's getting baptized this year! Sniff!
Man you have a lot of comments! Someone's popular, I'm so jealous! I love the pancakes!! I keep thinking I need to have traditions like that...guess I better start doing or they will all be grown before I start! You're such a great mom and I have quite a bit to learn from you!
Oh, I love Barb's comment! That's wisdom right there.
Your initial pancakes are darling, what a cute tradition.
It's hard being the one left behind -- hard for him and hard for you! Thank goodness for preschool starting soon.
Post a Comment