Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Final Catch up Post

(3 posts in backwards order. I'm just excited they're done!)

I have been in the biggest summer slump! A slump with cooking dinner, a slump with blogging, you name it and I'm lagging a little behind. My mom has been in WA for almost 3 weeks now and the time has flown. We haven't done much but hang out together and take care of kids (feeding, reading and refereeing!). An activity here and there and the days go fast. I'm getting 3 posts up to try and get all caught up. I have to, school is almost in session and there will be more to blog about! Can anyone tell me where summer went? I feel so out of the loop with everyone and what is going on. Slowly, I'm catching up....but I still have at least 3 posts written in my head so I'm not totally caught up. Getting these 3 published does take some of the pressure off, I hate getting this behind.

We never made it to the pool during the week. Isn't that awful? The kids didn't care much (I think they are just as worn out from all the swimming earlier in the summer as I am) and had just as much fun with the wiggly sprinker in the backyard.

Reed is loving his bath now that he can successfully sit up without sliding down. In fact he's all splashes!
And I leave every bath wet from his splashing!

I still can't get Reed to eat any food. Nothing but small scraps of bread and cereal. We tried again the other day and he was making the funniest faces. My mom and I were cracking up! This was the last one before we had this to clean up....

So gross I know. Sorry for the visual but he was just so much happier after we quit trying! I'm leaving it alone for awhile.

Saturday (8/9) was a little get together with my family and we took an overdue family photo. It's been 2 years and we've added 2 kids. We met in Matt's parent's gorgeous backyard (thanks again!) and we asked Marion to take some photos for us, we're so grateful she said yes. I think they turned out great! Thanks Marion!! Don't you love Reed grabbing for the bow in Kathryn's hair? So funny.

We had a full day. We took the photos (I have more to post, some with just our 6), came back for lunch and naps, some went to the pool, some stayed home (mom and Preston) and some (Reed and I) ended up at the walk in clinic with pink eye or something like it. Reed was the only one to get it but since he sticks everything in his mouth and on his face I'm not surprised. I'm more grossed out than anything. After the run around at the pharmacy we filled his prescription and headed home to get ready for dinner. We ate Chico's (our hometown pizza that's irreplaceable), had brownie sundaes that were extra fudgey because I doubled everything except the eggs (duh) and swept the kids to bed. What a day!

Sunday was a busy, fun day. As my mom, Kyle and gang got ready to head back to Seattle, we got ready to head out to Jane's house to meet fellow blogger Lucy and her 3 boys (here she is with Sammy). She is on a marathon journey with her boys and wanted to meet up at Jane's house. Susan, Jane and I looked forward to meeting Lucy for a couple weeks. And it did not disappoint. We had a great time talking while our kids ran around Jane's massive yard and hardly ever asked for anything. Lucy is so fun! I could have talked for a couple more hours (at least) and was sad the evening went so fast.

The kids were so wiped out on the way home they could hardly see straight. The only thing that kept Dane up was talking about Susan's daughter, Zoey. He talked about how many hugs she gave him and how one day he wants her to babysit and how he was her favorite, he just knew it. It was so cute! Zoey has a new fan named Dane!!

As we were leaving Jane's house this is what we saw. It was so pretty. I love the sunsets we have here!

16 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Melanie, that family picture is wonderful! I love your colors, too.

I agree, I could have visited much longer Sunday night. There were so many things I wanted to ask while the three of you were here.

You're right. That sunset is beautiful. You captured it perfect. It reminds me I really should make a point of seeing it each day since it's right outside the front door.

Thanks again for coming and your delicious salad. You know the right place to put calories.

donna said...

that is so cool that you meet Lucy.. Lucy sister Jen is one of my good friends. I have been able to met Lucy a few times....

Enjoy the rest of your week..:)

Jon and Amy Duvall said...

Melanie!! I miss you! Life has been so crazy. Blogs are awesome! I'm so glad I found you on here. You go girl.

jenny said...

It was so fun to catch up with your cute little family. I love how your photo of the family turned out.

Lucy is a lot of fun to talk with, I felt like that in January when we went to dinner with her and Jay. The night just wasn't long enough.

How fun that your stake did something for pioneer day. And that photo of the legs is classic. Love it!

steve and lisa said...

I cannot believe you had the time to catch up on blogs! With your kids & your busy life - you are one amazing mom! Cannot believe that the summer is coming to a close! I still want to get together after our lives slow down a litle bit - school starts! And get notes on Photoshop Adobe! You take beautiful pictures & I need some help! I bet it was so much fun having your mom here & she probably loved being with the grandkids! There is never enough time for anything! See you sun. - Oh, Kelcey (& Chris :) ) is teaching for Amy. She has to go to Seattle this weekend. Lisa

Leisha said...

Those pictures of Reed in the tub are so cute! It sounds like you have been one busy mommy. I miss you guys! Give big hugs to all the kids!

Becky Noftle said...

Good times, good times.

michelle said...

Beautiful family photo! We very rarely make the effort to do that, but it is so worth it.

I want to go sit and chat in Jane's backyard! Jealous. I love that she said you know the right place to put calories -- where is that?

Lucy said...

Melanie, you have been so busy! I'm glad you managed to fit a social call Sunday night because it was such a high part of my trip. I definitely could have spent longer laughing and enjoying your company. I'm very glad to have met you...face to face.

Here's to more backyard chats in the future....

Amie said...

It is so hard to catch up after such a long blog break... you did a good job.

Great family picture.

I hope things calm down for you once school starts. You are doing a great job of keeping up with the crazy.

Melinda said...

What a fun time to meet everyone and have family photos and just run ragged from all the fun. The picture turned out so great!

Dustin and Tara said...

So I finally sat down to read your post. I love the moments you catch with Reed. The baby food one is hilarious. And the water splashing on him, and him reaching for Kathrine's bow in her head....so cute!

Elizabeth said...

I have been in the same slump.
Reed in the bath=darling!

Shaila Lou said...

I realized I must of gotten distracted by looking at blog off your sidebar and forgot to comment.

Love the pictures of Reed in the tub. Especially the second one!! Way to go!

becca said...

I love all the pictures!! It looks like you have had a fun summer, although i am with you....WHERE DID IT GO? Seriously, it went by so fast!

I am so happy your mom got to come and stay for 3 weeks...I am sure you loved that!

Jake, Ashlee, and Jaxon Gardner said...

I love Reed's face! It's so fun to see all the facial expressions that your baby pulls! He is such a cute little guy-your whole family is so good looking!

I love the fam pic too-you know besides our weddings, the last family pic we had was when I was 5! Yes 5! I'm always telling my family we need to get an updated family pic because now we have Brooklyn and Jaxon to add! I will be completly shocked if that happens!

I'm glad you have new posts-I'm so addicted to blogging, and lately it seems like I'm taking more pictures and thinking more ideas to put on my blog-does that mean I should go to bloggers anonomous?! Great pictures!