The month is half gone and once again, not much posting from me. I don't want to accept this as my way of blogging but right now, it is what it is. If I can find my way out of this rut then I most definitely will. Any tips are welcome, ha! Until then, our randoms from the past 2 weeks.

Marion made Dane this awesome guitar cake. He felt like a big rock star and surprised Marion when she quizzed him on what the black frosting on the side was. He answered, 'Notes!' as if we would know that he knew what they were. It was pretty funny.

So much detail in this large cake! Thanks again Marion for taking the time to 'whip' one of these out for the grandkids. You know how much they love it and look forward to it.

I hadn't thought about it until I read Jane's comment on the post for Dane's birthday but this boy loves his 'gear'. He was so happy that he can actually be Batman now with this new costume. Before it's been just the cape and he pretends to have the rest. He's worn it almost everyday so it was worth every cent!

The next morning Dane needed a partner in crime I guess. I was in the kitchen and when I walked around the corner, Reed was wearing this cape. Dane kept fluffing it so that is was laying out as far as possible. According to Dane, that meant he was flying. Reed lasted 10 minutes as Baby Batman and then tried as hard as he could to rip the cape off. He's going to have to learn how to like playing boy dress up as long as Dane's still home!

The other night while I was working to get dinner done (by
far my least favorite time of day) Nathan wanted to read to me. It's a hard time of night to want a reader following you around but he would not be deterred. So he grabbed Green Eggs and Ham and proceeded to read all 60 some pages. At first I'll admit I was a little annoyed but it became this perfect metronome for my work. His new reading status makes for a perfect cadence and we kept the beat together. He did finish just in time for dinner and was beyond happy to write it on his reading folder. Since then we've worked on small books. Much faster but not as much rhythm.

Dane had 'red day' at preschool and this is what he came up with. All on his own. The only thing I wanted to add was red socks and he would have nothing to do with them. He said it was embarrassing. Like what he has on is totally acceptable. Ok.

Reed is getting a little better about eating. As long as it's Cheerios, Gerber puffs, a cereal bar, or rice krispy treats. I forced a couple bites of potato on Sunday. He wasn't really happy about it but nothing came up so I'm counting that as progress. Don't you love his funny faces and this hilarious bib?

Milo manned the camera on my birthday and this is the best one. He bought a Disney Princess cake from Dairy Queen forgetting he actually asked his mom to make one. We had double the cake (not necessary) and ate it for two days. Marion's cake was delish, I'm thinking about it already.

I just had to post a photo of these sweet, baby cheeks from below. Milo was holding him and their fatness is so cute to me. He was watching Daddy's face and I thought it was adorable.
I realized in uploading my photos that Kathryn has been flying under the camera radar. I'm making a note to catch her being her happy self soon. She loves her teacher at school, I think this will be a theme every year for her. Not only does her class have the turtle and hamster but right now each kid is in charge of watching butterflies hatch. It's her science dream! Every morning she excitedly tells me she 'can't
wait for reading group!'. I ask her if it's her favorite subject and then she says, 'no, I like math too!'. This girl loves all things school and I hope it stays that way.
I feel like life has been busy but it's been a good busy. Nothing overwhelming or annoying (for right now that is). I've been doing the fall produce thing. Canning peaches and jam. And trying to decide if I'll dry pears. I love this time of year, I just wish the ripe season were stretched out a bit. Everything is on at once!
Our ward has been combined with out stake's Spanish Branch for the past 5 1/2 years. It's been challenging on
so many levels but rewarding at the same time. On Sunday we found out that our ward will be separating and this would be our last week together. It cuts our primary in half and takes a couple teachers away. We have some rearranging of classes and teachers to do but other than that it feels like some of the stress and worry will die down. It's hard to see the kids go from such a working program to what we hope will be a working program but we'll just have to see. Now it's onto a much smaller program, I hope our kids left can sing loud enough!
26 comments:
It's good to get an update. That birthday cake is something! I have heard from so many people that their "special cakes" are one of the best memories they have as a child about their birthdays. I hope my own children won't suffer from their lack of them.
I never did come over and wish you birthday greetings, but I certainly thought them (true - but hard to prove!) I'm glad you got two cakes. You deserve them:)
That red outfit cracks me up like nothing else! So funny, and the refusal to wear red socks just makes it all the more hilarious.
And a late happy birthday to you! I've been slacking in my blog visiting lately, but am trying to catch up a bit!
your princess cake wasn't delicious? :0 I love those fat cheeks. How come my kids don't dress up at school when I send home 2 separate notes to remind them about rojo day??? Argh.. Send dane to my class on orange day... :)
Haha. Dane and his dressing up cracked me up! What a hilarious kid.
Love love love Reed's bib. How cute!! Good for Nate to be reading like crazy. And hooray that Kat loves school!
I'm glad you got two cakes. What a fantastic birthday!!
I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants when I saw Dane in his red outfit....and when I read he'd be to embarrased to wear the red socks my side actually ached from laughing. That kid is hilarious. I'm glad you document all this stuff....his kids will totally crack up someday when they see it.
Amazing guitar cake- she should go into business!
Loved Dane's red outfit. I agree, those red socks would have looked SO tacky! Smart boy. :)
Two cakes on your birthday?! Yum, yum. I've always wanted to try a DQ ice cream cake.
Great pictures and notes Mel. I'm a little worried about Dane. Are you sure his feet are on the ground!! (tee, hee) My Daner is totally one of a kind. Yep, books for Christmas! Love all my babies!
thanks for the update...... You have been so busy...
The guitar cake is so cool...... Did you make it????
I hope you had a wonderful b-day and you enjoyed both of your cakes........
That guitar cake is awesome. Lucas would love one of those, I'm sure.
I loved seeing Reed in the Batman cape and knowing that he was flying, don't you just love sibling interactions?
Your paragraph about Dane's red outfit totally made me laugh. Hilarious.
My kids watched butterflies hatch in school as well, always a highlight!
That is the best cake ever! So great!
I love random:
-what a cake.
-Nathan's reading a metranome.
-Reed wearing the batman cape.
-Kat loving everything.
-Reed's gaze on Milo
-Dane not wanting to embarrass himself.
-two cakes for one birthday....what a deal.
You do random well, Mel.
That cake is amazing! Your kids are too cute! The batman cape is adorable and the red outfit!!...oh my gosh!! So cute!
Red socks would have RUINED his outfit.
Melanie
I love your Random thoughts & posts! Loved the birthday cake, Dane as a super hero - red day!! Cute, cute, cute baby cheeks!!! Very - very excited for the less stress with a split ward - but we are going to miss those beautiful Spanish Branch YW!!! They are so adorable! Just pray that their leaders take good care of them as much as you guys have!! You are amazing! Lisa
Love it! I love how Dane put the costume on Reed. That is so cute. Every time I see Reed I just want to squeeze his cheeks, he is soo cute! I love all the detail in your posts, Dane is going to laugh pretty hard one day about not wearing red socks because it would have been embarrassing!
Oh man. I thought I left you a happy birthday comment! I thought of you on Sept 11 - your bday is easy to remember - and I hope it was wonderful.
The guitar cake is awesome!! I also love the Batman cape. I'm gonna have to make (get my mom to make) some for my boys. They are suddenly into Batman. Jack would wear that all day. Thanks for the inspiration!
Baby is DARLING!!!
I need to learn Mom's talent with decorating cakes. Nice cake, Mom!
I remember doing the butterfly thing when I was around Kathryn's age. I had to find a caterpillar which I did. It did build it's cocoon but never hatched! I was so bummed about it at that age.
Sounds like you've all been pretty busy. I was thinking now that summer's coming to a close that things would settle down but now Jayni's in preschool and she starts soccer on Saturday and it's busier during the week. The joys of the kids getting older!!
We need an outing! Period!
That cake seriously rocks! How cute. Happy birthday Dane! For some reason I thought I commented but apparently I just read. Duh!
And yes, score on the double cake. In my opinion you can never have too much :)
So much to comment on! I love all your stories about your littles and their emerging personalities.
I would happily have 2 birthday cakes.
Ward splits can be tough, and they often catch me by surprise. Good luck with the primary rearranging!
Ok.. so I stalked your blog..again :-) sorry! But I had to tell you.. you basically have some of the cutest kids ever.. next to mine of course (ok.. so theres only one so far.. so you have me beat)!:-p But I seriously love seeing your blog.. and all your adorable kids. They have SO much personality.. haha and I think we all know they get it from their parents! You and Milo have ALWAYS cracked me up! I remember getting haircuts and milo would be doing something weird to try to make you laugh.. and you'd just be like.. MILO.. GO AWAY! Hilarious. Anyways.. hope things are going great for you guys.. sound like they are!
Wow. Cool cake! Alexis wants to read to me at odd times and sometimes I have to tell her not now. She's been harassing me to read her books to, so sometimes I have to sit down with her and read them with her and that way she gets credit for reading time with it.
Baby Batman is hilarious! Your kids are such characters.
I can totally relate to the pain of listening to an early reader while trying to make dinner (or do anything else), those books go on forever!
That is one awesome cake! Mom is amazing! Looks like some fun festivities!
I'm glad we survived the night! All in all, I'm glad we went and I enjoyed the camping!
Holy cow you have a lot of blogging friends Mel!! I LOVE the cake...very nice job! Your kids are so stinking cute...I love that they all have such different personalities...wouldn't life be boring otherwise?
Mel, you are so good at taking pictures of everything. I think I'm caught up with your family life. I thought about you on your birthday, and your kids are all getting so big so fast. (why do they do that?) Kyle was looking at the pictures with me and was checking out Dane. He kept asking me if they were friends and when he could see him again. Oh boy, if it were only that easy. Love the double axle sandwich. Where do these kids come up with this stuff.
Post a Comment