The kids are out of school until Thursday. Instead of 3 half days for conferences, our school has opted for no school on those 3 days. I'm not sold on the tactic but I'm sure the teachers love it. I don't mind the kids home. Really. The relaxed mornings, the laid back days, no agenda. But the boredom of staying home so the 10 month old can nap almost did us in today. Almost. To cure some of the pent up energy we had a couple outings after Reed's very short afternoon nap.
A dentist here in town buys Halloween candy for $1 a pound and then sends it to the troops in Iraq. They got a ton of candy trick or treating and when I asked them if they wanted to take their candy to the dentist's office, they got all excited. They filled a quart ziploc bag with whatever they wanted and today we sold the candy back. They each had 3 pounds of candy. So they each walked away with $3 and a new light up toothbrush in their pocket. They were happy, they even signed a card for the troops. When I got my camera out to document this blog worthy event, no memory card. Drat! But I'm so happy to not be tempted by the 9 lbs of Snickers, Twix, Hershey's.....
After we left the office we drove out to the country to my aunt's house. She has some huge trees that shed 1,000's of leaves every year. The kids only came inside to sneak or beg for cookies, they played hard the whole time we were there. They piled leaves up, chased around the dogs and eventually cleared out a whole section making a nest (no doubt this was Kathryn's idea). Where is a memory card when you need one? No photos of the cuteness.
We went to the store so they could spend their whopping $3. It took an act of congress for them to decide on a purchase but they finally did it. Only after a threat to leave with nothing. Nathan bought a random zebra, Kathryn a book of coloring posters for her room and Dane bought twin Matchbox cars. They played the evening away.
The kids planned part of our random FHE tonight. He asked if he could plan the lesson and that spurred the other kids on to plan a part too. Dane asked if he could do it on healthy food. Too much candy Dane? He brought out fake food and held each piece up and quizzed us on it's healthy status. He even let us know what his favorite and not so favorites were. Nathan went to the Gospel Art Kit and chose the painting of The Last Supper. I was impressed, he read the summary at the bottom of the page and only needed help a couple times. He also brought out a board from his room that says, 'Lead Me, Guide Me, Walk Beside Me' and sang it to us. While the boys were gathering their props, Kat was quietly working in her room. I knew she was working on a lesson too but didn't really ask any questions about what she was planning. When it was her turn she handed each of us a paper and a pencil and started her lesson. The top of her paper said, 'Talents are a gift from God. List your talents. Pitchr at the bottom.' It was so funny because she had made 5 exact same copies for her handout. Leaving a spot for the list and a larger spot for the drawing. She's already making handouts and being her own personal copy machine. What a girl! Milo ended it with a great paragraph from Preach My Gospel about listening to the Spirit and how it can speak to each of us. Endless FHE's in there.
Reed has had an off day. Every baby has the right to be cranky I guess. Especially when 3 top teeth are swollen and seem to all be cutting at once. He woke up at least 4 times last night and only short napped all day (thanks to mouth pain and diarrhea). It's 11:30pm and he's already been up twice tonight. Things aren't looking good. Where is my baby?
The kids crashed into bed. No bargains to get up or have a drink. The early mornings from the time change and the leaf playing did them in and they were wore out. Perfect ending to a full day. Now if they can just sleep in tomorrow.....
11 comments:
Thank you for making room for me in your day. I really appreciate it. You are so talented and I love to visit with you. Thank you.
Your FHE recap is priceless. Photos or not, I'm so glad you captured it in word.
Nathan's costume has more than paid off, hasn't it? Him wearing that helmet everywhere is a story all by itself.
Thanks again, Melanie.
what a busy day.
We also don't have school the week of parent & teacher conferences. But ours is a few days before Thanksgiving.
Sounds like you have a wonderful FHE!:)
The FHE sounds adorable!!!! I love that they each came up with something and Kathryn is a human copier. So cute. Sounded like a fun day- selling candy (I would have had a hard time parting with it!), playing in leaves and spending money.
did they sleep in? I love the FHE, Kathryn sounds like you. Imagine all the prep work she watches you do, cuttin gout THOUSANDS of pieces of paper for altoid tins for example. THe healthy food part, haha, your kids are too funny. I wonder what ALizah would talk about? :) Hope to see you around soon, maybe in parent pick up one day? :)
Please replay the day with a memory card. That was a great post, I love the dentist's idea of paying for all the candy. Wish they did that here. Excuse me, another Butterfinger is calling my name.
What a fun day!
I wish our dentist would purchase our candy! That is a fantastic idea! I loved reading what your littles bought with their $3! Isn't it funny how they will stew about what to buy forever?!
Your littles are darling in their costumes! I loved your witchy look for your party! Sounds fun!
What a great idea your dentist has! I love that they were willing to make the deal -- I don't know if my kids would give up their candy.
Playing in the leaves, what a great way to use up their energy!
That sounds like it was such a fun day. I really wish we had a dentist who did that for us. Plus it is so perfect that he sends the candy to the servicemen. That is awesome.
I love your FHE. We let the kids take over also but we need to let them do it more. That was so great.
I really hope you get more sleep!
A few days off sounds great to me... I hope they were a break and not more work for you. I know there are dentists who buy candy around here too but we haven't ever done it... good plan.
Such a cute FHE! I love to see how much kids take in!
I hate teething baby! I'm so sorry he's miserable right now. Winston has been my worse teether. He's the only one who's complained about it.
Post a Comment