Tuesday, January 13, 2009

SPT- Resolve week 2

I cannot even remember the last time I posted an SPT. Of course my archives would tell me but I usually get sucked into reading them post after post. This week the challenge is to Resolve to take more self portraits with the ones you love. Not of...with.

I almost didn't participate tonight. See the no makeup and the undone hair. Oh I can pick apart this photo. But I tell others, and need to heed my own advice, that in 30 years (maybe even 15) it will not matter if your shirt was too tight, your makeup missing, your smile crooked. It's about being present with the ones you love. I know that sounds cheesy but really, if you think about the people you've lost in your life, having photos of them and even you with them are priceless.

So tonight when all the other kids were in bed, I coerced Milo into a couple shots with Reed before he went to bed. We're definitely not winning any awards with this one but we're in it still. Love you boys.

15 comments:

MaryRC said...

wonderfully put. you're right in the end it doesnt matter what we looked like, our posterity will treasure it either way... great spt

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

You're a wise one, Melanie. That is so true and I'm glad you reminded me of it.

How in the world did you get all three of you to look at the camera? Reed's look is priceless. What a great shot of the three of you. (You amaze me how you NEVER get a double chin in an SPT...how?)

Unknown said...

i don't think it's "cheesy" at all!! it is really so good to see you this week. i hope you'll stick with resolve to post more spts this year.

Melinda said...

THis is a really cute picture. I didn't participate because I was in too bad of a mood to take a picture. If you can't smile don't take.

Jason and I totally go on a budget to dland. Some things we splurge on like the lunch with characters but others we know were to save. If you go on the website of dland they have some great deals going on. We also book through Costco.com. They do an all inclusive with the tickets and characters meal. This time it was cheaper just to go straight through the hotel. Let me know when you go. I have a million little tips for saving but still having a great time.

::lindsay said...

I thought it was a cute picture. And you are totally right...later on you'll be glad you took it.

Heather said...

What a great post Mel. I'm going to try to do the same. I'm never in photos because they never look like I want them to. I actually think that is a great pic of the three of you. You all look so happy- and that is what you will remember. Miss you guys!

Jill said...

I love your perspective on this and I totally agree. I would rather have "real" photos than no photos at all. I think you guys look cute.

Shaila Lou said...

Ahh, cute! I never take pictures with me in them. I'm terrible at it. But I definitely know that there are regrets from not having more pictures of the ones I loved!

Melinda said...

I forgot to tell you that right now on disneystore.com, they have all of their tee shirts for 4.99 and sweatshirts for 6.99. I bought these for our trip instead of paying 25 for tee's and 40-50 for sweatshirts at dland. I of course wouldn't pay those prices but the kids don't know I bought them so it will be a fun surprise when we get there and they will feel like they got more from there than they did.

Dustin and Tara said...

I love it! Your right. I was teasing Dustin the other day about our photos and our trips....some of the trips look like it was just them and Dad on the trip since I'm not in many of them:)! Love the idea. And years down the road we really won't care what we looked like in that picture...it is the memory that counts!

Holly said...

Great pictures! You don't even need make up silly goose! You do have some very handsome boys too!

becca said...

It's PERFECT, Melanie! You are so right...all that matters is that you were present, and I think you look great!! I love the natural photos that capture who we are, I think that is why SPT's are such a great idea...a great way of capturing "now"! I love it!

Laurie said...

You're so right. Thanks for that. I struggle with how I look and I only brave the SPTs when I've gotten ready and am having a better day...and that's not very often! I'm gonna try.

jenny said...

Make up or not I am glad you participated. That is the fun of it right? Cute photo.

michelle said...

Oh my, Reed's smile and looking out of the corner of his eyes! He's darling.

Love your perspective, I need to let myself be in photos more often, even when I'm not cute.