Last week I hitched a free ride to Idaho with Marion (my mil). She was heading to Rexburg with her mom for a nephew's wedding and I cooked up a plan to meet up with one of my best friends from college. Thanks to Facebook, we've reconnected and this turned out to be perfect timing. The roads through the Oregon mountains weren't the best but the sky was gorgeous. The sun was decieving because it was only about 5^ outside, I love this photo even though it was just out a window of a moving car.Milo's family likes to leave early when they travel and we had a ETD of 4:30am!! I stayed the night up at Marion's on Thursday knowing it would be easier to get up that early if I wasn't sleeping in my own bed. I was all sorts of nervous leaving and cried on the phone to Milo (dang hormones again) wondering if I should go. He wanted me to get off the phone, go right to sleep, wake up and go have fun. Such sound advice. Of course the anxiety about sleeping in had me wide awake around 2:30 so I got up a little earlier than planned and started getting ready. And right on schedule, we were leaving town at 4:25. After we had been in the car a couple hours I wanted to call Milo but even after all the awake time I had, they were still sleeping!
A few funnies..... Marion never letting anyone drive but it didn't stop me offering every couple hours or so, just for the record. Marion and her mom battling for the right to fill the car with gas. I had intentions of the same battle but they took care of it quite well themselves. In Oregon, Anne opened the car door while the car was still moving to 'make it to the pump' first. It was so, so funny! The dork (a very fitting description) at the gas pump was pretty funny too, he did not know how to take them both shoving debit cards towards him. It confused him like no other. He even asked, 'Which card should I use?' Anne looked at him and said, 'The one in your hand!' We were cracking up!
We laughed, snacked, chatted, I read a bit and didn't get sick (miracle) and just genuinely had a good time together. Thanks for letting me tag along guys!
We met up with my friend Marlow in Pocatello and they were off to Rexburg. I was so excited to see her. It had been 6.5 years since we had seen each other and neither one of us is very good at keeping in good, consistent contact. We have so much fun together, we laughed our guts out! I can't believe we met at Ricks College summer term almost 16 years ago. Yikes, time flies. We had people to talk about, catch up on and stories to retell. It was so worth spending more time in the car than I did with her. I would do it again in a second.Milo encouraged me to go and said over and over that he didn't care about staying home with all 4 kids. It was only for 3 days and he assured me that it would be a cake walk. He did awesome with them and he said Reed didn't start holding a grudge that I wasn't around until Sunday. He tackled figuring out babysitters, doing Kathryn's hair, round the clock care, church alone (he even spiked the babies hair!) and I came home to a clean house! It was awesome to come home and feel so missed and loved. Maybe I should leave more often. Thanks Milo, you're the best.
The boys started soccer today. Nathan has a great coach and even after one practice it seems he might have a better team if kids too. It was Dane's first time for soccer and he was over the moon excited all day waiting for 5:30 to roll around. I lost count on how many times he asked me the time. On the way home Dane said, 'Mom, she is so nice. I'm going to love soccer.' It was adorable and I love sports with 4-6 yr olds. They are funny kids to watch. I just hope it warms up, it's going to be cold watching them play! (Note to self- remeber camera on Thurs!)
12 comments:
Sounds like fun Mel! Milo- you are awesome. I love a getaway from the kiddo's weekend- even though it doesn't happen often enough.
Wow a fun weekend you had. That is great that you were able to see your old friend from college. I so enjoy FB. In the last few weeks, i have been able to reconnected with some friends from school. Friends that i haven't seen in over 17 years.
I'm SO glad you had a great time, Melanie. Three woots for Milo for taking such good things here.
Can't wait to hear all about it.
Good for you, Mel! You totally deserved to get away and it looks like Milo did okay with out you! Isn't it a treat to travel with a Chlarson? Constantly fighting over who pays for what and when...always a joy! Glad you had fun!
You deserved it Melanie, now you both deserve a weekend together, I volunteer to watch the kiddos. I do spikey hair on Sundays if that is a necessity.
How great for you to get away (and believe me, I understand those dang hormones...the guilt and the crying!!)
Milo is so great, what a good husband to stay home and take care of everything for you. You deserve the break and it sounds like it was a lot of fun!!
What a fun weekend. Glad you were able to get away :)
Good post! I'm glad you didn't back out of your trip and that you went. Good for you for getting away. The men can pull through and do miracles! That is hilarious about them fighting over who was going to pay for gas. HA!
(How can Becky be funny all the time???)
Sounds like a party! Way to step Milo. You now join Michael on my "more than decent husband" pedestal.
You deserve a vacation and some female bonding once in a while. Glad you got away. I say don't ever feel guilty about what you don't do in the blogging world. Women feel guilty enough about everything else in life, do we have to feel guilty about blogs too??
Oh man, it's hard to leave, but I'm glad it turned out to be wonderful and worth it. Milo sounds like the dream dad sitter. Good for him and you!
That is so great you got to get away! I would love to see my old roommates. I haven't had contact with them in so long. I am glad it went so well for you and everyone at home!
Post a Comment