Friday, December 18, 2009

Five for Friday- Plus a Couple

1. The kids said goodbye to their teachers and friends today. I've been the most sad about leaving their awesome teachers and classrooms this year when we move. I just love our school, the principal, the staff. They're all so great. All three of the kids have first class teachers and right now it feels like it's going to be really hard to replace them. We took treats around today and thankfully my mom had her camera in her purse, I forgot mine.

Kat wrote that she has the best teacher on earth. The class made her a book telling her goodbye. She of course, love it. Even the boys, 3rd graders mind you, said some of the sweetest stuff. How she was the nicest person in class, the most helpful, how she had cute hair (thanks kids!), how much they would miss her, she was their best friend, etc. But they also encouraged her to have fun in her new city and all sorts of esteem building words to send her off. She was definitely one of the teacher's pets and loved every second of it. The other kids seemed to notice with a few of the things they said but didn't seem to care.

Nathan's teacher was perfect for him too. She didn't mind his squirmy, squirrely ways because he always finished his work and was kind to others. He even befriended 'the one' boy that no one seemed to like (I thought the boy was hilarious). He seems be the one caring the least about our upcoming move. I want to be like him!

Dane's teacher has only had great things to say about him too. He loved working on crafts of course and got along with everyone in his class. Even the boy that doesn't speak much English. Dane told me they just play without talking (how's that for nonjudgmental!). He's getting to be so grown up and while it's only kindergarten, he's sad to leave. Here's hoping for a whole new classroom full of kids he loves to play with!

2. We had tears about moving at dinner tonight and they were so sad. Kat went to the bathroom and came back to the table sobbing. It was awful. I remember moving when I was in the 4th grade (just older than Kat) and I was sad and scared too. I felt so bad for her and wanted to cry tears right along with her. Instead, I tried talking up all the fun new adventures we're going to have. And I told her that the most important thing was going with her, our family.

3. I found a letter to Santa in Nathan's folder tonight after he had gone to bed. I'm not sure if they were supposed to write a letter for others, I'll have to ask him, or if it's just what he chose to do but he doesn't even mention himself. I think it's sweet but I'm sure Santa would like to know what he wants too (!).

Dear Santa,
How are you? I am fine. For Christmas please bring Dallas a cute little beagle becase he really really really loves beagles. Also Peyton would like a gator car becase he wants to drive. Don't crash like the one in '64 (from a Christmas movie we have).
Your friend,
Nathan
p.s. How loud do you burp.

So funny and such a boy!

4. The moving company came today to 'survey' what they will be moving. I felt so judged even though she was a really nice lady just walking around making notes about our stuff. We live in tight quarters with 6 of us in this house and there is something strategically placed (shoved) in every closet, under every bed, the couch and love seat, you name it, stuff is every where. I forced myself to not follow her around and explain why I had this here or that there. How much worse is it going to be when they are packing it all up? I don't even want to know! One thing's for sure, I'm not going to care when they're the ones that get all the packing done. I'll be happy for those notes in a couple weeks, right?

5. Nathan is getting baptized tomorrow. Tomrrow! How is my 'tiny' 9lb first born baby already 8 years old? I'm teary thinking about it (especially since I'm still teary from the episode at dinner). I'm so excited for him. When he went to bed, he told me he could hardly wait for tomorrow. He's silly and wild but at the same time he's tender and loving and really truly cares about others. He's the last one in his primary class to be 8 and I know he's so happy to finally be getting baptized. I can't wait to see his big smile tomorrow! Through more tears, I'm sure of it.

Two more......

:: Tuesday was the kindergarten program and Dane was so cute. He knew all the words and hand actions and when his neighbor tried chatting with him when they were supposed to be quiet, he ignored him. Too funny since he's usually the one talking at the wrong time. He had his snow pants on so thank heavens he didn't end up on the front row. They are huge!

:: Dane's been making snacks again. This is his 'healthy teeth' snack. I didn't have him make me one but right now, it's looking pretty good!

13 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Melanie, this makes it so real. I'm so glad you got pictures of the kids with their teachers. What a good thing to record. They'll be so glad someday.

Have a happy, happy day today with Nathan.

I'm going to miss you. Bad.

Jill said...

I had to move so many times as a kid, so I know all about the sadness/excitement going on. Kids are super resilient and will make new friends immediately, so even though it's sad now it will be happy soon.

Nathan's letter to Santa is so sweet and so funny. Has he been watching "Elf"?

We live in small quarters too so all our stuff is crammed everywhere as well, I feel your pain.

Healthy teeth, how funny!

Chandra said...

Okay.....now i have tears running down my face. I'm sure it was really hard for the kids to tell their school friends goodbye. Tell Kat that there are so many places to SHOP in Richland! In the midst of tears I had a good belly laugh when I read Nathan's letter to Santa. That kid cracks me up.

Holly said...

I know this seems so hard now...but in no time you will see what a great change it will be for your family. We are so excited for you, but will keep you in your prayers as it is never easy to leave friends. Hope the baptism went great today! Can't wait to see you!

Becky Noftle said...

Happy Baptism Day Nate the great! The apple snack is hilarious--you might have a snack recipe book in the making!

Matthew Hardy said...

Ah, sad goodbyes! Poor Kathryn! I remember how hard it was to move, but the other kids at that age are so sweet still, it's very easy to make friends. Now in 8th grade, I remember spending most of the lunchtime in the bathroom! (But that will be my kids moving at that age, not yours!)

Love the moving company lady. It would have been really hard for me not to explain why things were the way they were!

Nathan's P.S. to Santa is funny. Love Dane's teeth!

ab5cgang said...

Oh you are really moving. I am a little sad. Hope they find great teachers there.

Anna said...

Thanks for making me cry.

Brenda said...

Great post Melly! I remember the moving too. Never fun when I was a kid and I had a hard time leaving Utah. One day Preston caught me crying. When he questioned why I told him I was going to miss my friends. His reply was perfect. "You'll make new friends Mom. All you have to do is tell them your name." I love that it's that simple for kids. Hope Saturday was a fantastic day for you all. Can't wait to see the post and I can't wait to see you!

Melinda said...

That snack is so gross and so funny! Good luck with all of the moving!

Heather said...

I'm so sad for your sad kids, but so happy for this awesome blessing for your family. I can't wait to see you guys hopefully this weekend. Love you!

Granny DeeAnn said...

Sigh........ Wish adults could adjust as well as kids! What teacher wouldn't want them! They're all smart, kind, friendly, and they have great parents. Just because their baby brother is a beast, doesn't mean a thing! Ha

Barb said...

I'm sure you'll appreciate not doing all the packing yourself at this busy time of year. I hope the year goes smoothly and the kids transition well. I'm sure their new teachers will love them!