Anyone that knows me, knows I'm not a real 'sports' girl. I'm plenty competitive in other areas but when it's about sports, I'd rather have fun than get uptight about not winning. By junior high I learned that was not an appreciated attitude for those that wanted to actually win games. So I quit playing pretty much all sports. I did take a sports class at Ricks but thank heavens there were other girls in that class with the same attitude and we quickly found each other.Last night Brianne called and invited me to play basketball with some women that meet at the church on Wed nights at 8:30. I laughed and asked if she was serious! Milo thought it was pretty funny too, he's never known me to play sports. Honestly I cannot remember the last time I went to play sports with people. 20 years? I'm thinking I participated in YW sports but I can't even remember that. I almost didn't go. And after I decided to go, I almost went in jeans. You know, to avoid playing all together but at the last minute I changed into gym clothes. I thought I still wouldn't play but would hit the gym and workout on the way home.
I'm so glad I went, it was so fun! I, of course, did not know what I was doing at all but it didn't matter. All the girls were so nice and even after they had to talk me into playing I never felt like a total loser for not knowing how to play. I even joked with one girl (that definitely brought the best game) and apologized to her for her having to coach me on what to do and where to go. I told Brianne when we left I needed to google such terms as post, screen and a couple others, ha. And not to brag or anything but I did make a couple baskets.
Today I have been feeling it big time, I have been so sore! These 'basketball' muscles have not been used in a long, long time. Anyway, I'm hoping we can go next Wednesday. That is if I recover from this week!
10 comments:
yAY Melanie! Good for you. Who would have ever guessed that your new move would entail women's basketball. I'm so glad you're doing this. How fun.
ow I know why we are friends my motto is if you want to win don't choose me to be on your team!!!! I totally understand where you are coming from. but I am proud that you went!!!
Good work, Melanie! I'm not gonna lie...I bet you are awesome at playing ball!
What??? I didn't know you knew how to play? ha ha. :) Good for you for going...you are brave. I was SO sore after playing on Christmas Eve so good luck recovering. What gym are you going to?
I would have paid good money to see that! Look at you! All out there playing ball and making new friends! I'm super proud of you!
I love this! I would love to feel comfortable playing again... it sounds so fun and I need some sore muscles... it would mean I did something!
I even played in high school and I would feel uncomfortable going to play church ball. There is just something about it that makes me...well...uncomfortable. I'm so glad you had fun. Good for you for jumping into things and putting on a pair of athletic shorts. That's the way to do it!
Score!
Sheesh Melanie! Move away and then change it all up on us...I mean sports and all. That's pretty adventurous! Good for you!!
How fun to play basketball. I would love to do that here. That is great that all of the ladies were nice and didn't care about how good anyone was.
Post a Comment