Thursday, January 28, 2010

For Mom

In a not so subtle way, my mom mentioned she wanted a real post, a post full of grandkids as she wasn't a super fan of either the basketball or eagle post. Note taken.

I had serious intentions to take some photos of the kids this morning before school but it would have sent me over the edge. Really over the edge. Reasons photos did not happen...

:: Nathan remembered a sheet of homework that was due today and he hadn't even started it. While trying to rush and finish it he dramatically threw up his hands and declared himself a failure. At 8, in the second grade. Oh dear.

:: Dane stalling and stalling and stalling about going to school. First he was sick with a sore throat, then it turned into a tummy ache and after I kept asking him what kind of sick, he started crying and said it was because he missed me so much while he was gone. So sweet but really he was working the system. Once I told him there would be no TV or movies for the day (since I knew he wasn't really sick), he was finally off to get his socks and shoes on. This task alone takes him 20 minutes every morning. Suggestions so I don't go crazy?

:: An annoyingly timed poopy diaper as we try and head out the door, late.

:: Waking up with a headache, sore neck and shoulders from basketball last night did not have me fixing breakfast and lunches with a real big smile. Basketball was fun but not nearly as fun as last week, people came to play for real this week, ha! I may or may not have stopped with the ball when I was 'running' it down the court when someone yelled, 'behind you, behind you.' Not good! (Go ahead and laugh)

So after the crazy morning of getting the kids to school late I came home and thought getting some photos of Reed would be a doable project. They're cute but not really what I had in mind. Brianne gave him these little animal cars for his birthday and he was 'showing' them to me. All the ones before these his eyes were glued to the TV.

I kept asking him to smile for Grandma but he threw himself back and 'hid'. I just love this crazy, fighting his nap daily, talkative, smart, persistent boy that loves gum, fruit snacks and Cocoa Cool (the generic cereal for Cocoa Puffs, he asks for it every morning even though we hardly ever have it).

Better luck next time mom!

14 comments:

Barb said...

I beat Grandma to the punch here.
Those picture of Reed are adorable. I hope your morning went better today!

Jill said...

Whitney takes 20 minutes to eat a bowl of cereal and then another 20 minutes to make her bed and on and on, so I know all about the pain of slow-moving kids in the morning. The only solution I've come up with is to give her more time because she's incapable of hurrying and I'm incapable of not yelling at her while trying to get her to hurry!

Reed is so cute!

Chad and Jaycie said...

Man, you totally crack me up! I'm still laughing. :)

Becky Noftle said...

Slow children in the morning---I guess I am just so blessed that my children arise on their own, make me breakfast in bed, read each other the scriptures, make their beds, start a laundry load, eat a healtful breakfast, unload the dishwasher, load their own dishes, and tiptoe out the door so as to not disturb their father or me. Lucky, lucky, lucky.

But I have heard of this family with a girl named Zoe in it--her Mom lost so bad at her yesterday that she went into the grade school office still crying and the school nurse had to calm her down and check her for weapons which she might later use upon her wicked witch of a mother and then walk her to first grade and warn the teacher that she had a "bad morning start". Poor family in that situation, so glad it's not me. In the past when I parented with some sense of purpose I would set the stove timer and whoever was dressed and at the barstool before the timer went off got a "something" sometimes tootsie roll (what it's a dairy product) or the chance to pick what was for dinner one night the next week or to make cookies or whatever....

Brenda said...

Why is getting the kiddios ready for school such a chore? I swear Carson and I fight every morning. And I'm half tempted to send him to school with no shoes on one of these days. Maybe that will teach him to put them where they belong! I'm tired of searching for them every morning! Oh, and Reed is freaking adorable!

Granny DeeAnn said...

Good for a starter Melanie. I don't know why your kids don't take after you and your brother. You never gave me problems before school started. Throw a french braid in there somewhere!!! Love you all! Mom

melanie said...

Funny mom, I actually did put a braid in Kathryn's hair! Of course she didn't complain so I couldn't list her as part of the slow morning!

donna said...

Thanks for the laugh. I needed it this morning. :)
Did you go to Dr Bullock's office?

Holly said...

Soo funny! Sounds like my mornings are not any different than yours, Becky's, Brenda's, or any other Mom in the ENTIRE WORLD! Seriously...there are days I miss working mornings! ha ! Someday though we are going to miss all this chaos....right? At least that's what people keep saying.

Heidi said...

I should play bball with those girls, they sound more serious than the one's I played with last night! You should ask your Mom how much "fun" it was for me. :) I'm sore too though.

Can you give me tips on how to get a 4 yr old to clean her room in less than an hour??? It's SO annoying. I want to box up all her toys.

Susan said...

So, so, so good to see you today!!! Just remember, they grow up fast and then you can't get them to do anything!

Melinda said...

Were you describing my Ryan? Boy, those boys could be twins! Hope your body starts feeling better. Not a fun morning for you.

Kristin said...

I remember getting my clothes out the night before as a kid and now I like my kids to do the same. I keep erasing things...giving advice makes me nervous, how odd is that?!

Amie said...

I love that your mom reminded you she wanted a real post. Sometimes I have to remind myself that. (or Jill will tell me, you just post that you are going to post later...)

I'm not very patient with slow movers either.