- Things are good despite my lack of posting (and commenting). More boxes unpacked, a few days of sunshine (today it's 55!), Milo liking his new job, not getting lost this week, a random trip to Costco and the mall (unheard of before), cousin/family playtime, reconnecting with a childhood friend, meeting up with another friend and her family. Good, regular times. Just the way I like it.
- I can't wait to get the internet back next week. And a phone. I'm used to my phone ringing and nada the past couple weeks. I just can't seem to get used to only using a cell phone. I know lots of people are going that route but I've decided it's definitely not for me.
- No internet means another post without photos. I'm still 'borrowing' the neighbors unlocked wireless (thanks guys!) and it tends to be on the patchy and slow side. Hopefully they don't know I'm the one bogging them down, ha! I've actually taken some photos and technically, I could post them but the thought of using this slow, patchy internet sounds a bit too frustrating right now.
- We made it through the first week at the kid's new school. I'm not sure what to say about it. It's not bad, just different. I better get used to the way they run things since we're staying here. The kids are making friends and haven't complained too much so once we're used to it, it's going to be great.
- The air in this new town is so, so dry. I have alligator hands, actually alligator palms they are so dry. I slather them with lotion few times a day and nothing works. My heels look like I've been walking on blacktop all summer long too. Cracked and dry, dry feet. And to top that off, my hair. It's full of static. I've been double conditioning because static is caused from dry hair but even that isn't helping. My solution? Double the amount of hairspray for a classy helmet head look, ha!
- Milo got me a toaster for Christmas (I asked for an upgrade to a 4 slot one) and it burnt the toast on the lowest setting. I took it back only to realize I don't really like this toaster any better than the one I took back. Looks like I'm just missing my 10 year old, 2 slot toaster I was so bonded with that didn't burn the toast. The kids don't mind burnt toast as long as it is 'sugar toast', so that's a plus. Such a creature of habit I am, I don't even like new toasters.
- Nathan has his first pinewood derby next week. He is so excited he can hardly contain himself. We talk about it all the time. And since Tuesday, we've been drawing models on paper of what he wants his car to look like. Scouting is a whole new world that I'm not sure I want to get used to but he does look awfully cute in his new scout shirt (insert cute photo here that I did took Tues).
- Only 5 more days and I will have a regular phone and internet, can't wait!
Thursday, January 14, 2010
Random Bullets
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
19 comments:
I had a great time Tuesday! I think we need to get together twice a month, for a girls lunch. We can have it at my house.
I'm glad you're doing well and are getting settled. I'll definitely be looking forward to seeing some pictures when you get your own, nonpatchy internet up and running.
We got a new toaster oven a couple years ago and we're still cursing it and missing our 10 year old one because it never burned our toast either!
Melanie....... go shopping at Target for me okay? tell it hi for me and then drive by the Olive Garden and wave for no reason.... then get on Craigslist and go pick up all the things that I want because Tri-town craiglist is sooooo much cooler.... Good luck with the toaster! Miss ya!
Pictures or no, it's great to hear from you.
How is school different?
I'm with Korbi. Please think of me the next time you need some little thing that is available there but so not available here.
So glad to hear you guys are hanging in there! Hooray the kids are doing good in school and Milo likes his job. I knew you guys could do it! Keep your chin up...hopefully it will only get better from here. Especially once you get internet!
What is up with the new toasters? I don't love my 4 slot one either. It is just one from wal mart.
I am glad the family is settling in and doing well. I am with you. I would much more prefer to talk on a real phone then my cell. I would go crazy if that is all I had.
...and what else is happening in 5 days? Oh yea Im coming to visit and get my hair did!
More good, regualar times to come--just buy more lotion.
I love the random bullets. I may have to steal that idea. And I hear you on the dry air.
Mel- try sleeping with socks and vaseline on your feet, and buy a vaseline based lotion. Even straight vaseline on the hands works great- once you get used to it! We miss you guys and are so glad to hear you are settling in well. Hugs and kisses :)
Your mom suggests Bag Balm! (A little spendy but...works) Your dad used to use it through the winter months and it worked really great. Socks and gloves for a few nights and you're back in business. You know he was raised on a dairy farm! Can you park the van in the garage yet? No pressure! Miss you guys and am looking for a ticket during Spring Break. We will need to have lunch with Loye and Kristin! I'm sure we could have a laugh and a half if we brought old pictures!! Love you and am thinking about you and what things look like. We do need pictures. I am visioning Nathan in his scout uniform, Kathryn playing in her cute little room with matching valance, Dane playing on Oregon Trail and Reed just running from room to room with his hamster! I'm glad Milo likes his job and that you can run to Target in just a few. Will talk to you this week end..... Mom
I'm so glad you're getting settled in. I am terrified of a move (unless we were moving to Paris--and then I couldn't pack fast enough! ;) ). My husband threatens it all of the time, but so far I've managed to resist.
I'm so glad you're getting settled. It will take a little bit, but you'll get comfortable! Trust me;D
We upgraded to a 4 slot toaster and I love it. We got it at WalMart and it doesn't burn the toast. You may need to look into it for your toasting needs. I feel like I've typed "toast" a lot in this post. Post...toast. Now I'm rhyming. Better stop while I still sound sane. What do you mean it's too late?
I always have dry hands in the winter and I bought "Vaseline Intensive rescue clinical therapy" lotion to try. It's new. I haven't used it regularly, but my hands haven't been very bad this winter.
I hear you on having internet...you need it now!!! :)
Glad you like living so close to fun shopping. Your checkbook might not. ha ha.
I have been thinking of you a lot lately, hoping that everything is going well with the move and that everyone is adjusting!
That is classic about the toaster. So true huh? I still have my moms 30 year old crockpot (brown and orange flowers...lovely) because I like it so much better than the new fancy one I bought. Old things are just built better (or maybe we are just used to them?)
so glad things are going good for you
I'm so glad things are going well! I can't wait to see it all put together and decorated! Love ya guys. It was nice talking to you and catching up.
The toaster comment made me laugh! We had our 2 slot toaster for 10 years, that someone gave us for our wedding. A couple years ago we melted plastic on the side of it, and we still used it. My Dad just bought us a 4 slot toaster. Who knew that 'cheap' white toaster that we got at our reception would have lasted this long:)! Drevin is CAN'T wait for scouts....how are Nathan's scout leaders?
One more thing....post pictures of your house!!
I miss you guys like crazy but it's so wonderful that the kids can go out and play their hearts out now! That's worth having you further away to know they have that luxury. It was great seeing you settled in and making the house your home. Love ya, Mel! Miss you tons!
Post a Comment