Friday, March 12, 2010

Five for Friday- Absent

1. I can't believe it's been almost 2 weeks since I've last posted. It's true, the longer you're away, they harder it is to get back into posting. I've thought about posting more than a few times but just haven't finished the thought at the computer. Lame.

2. Last weekend I had some girl time and stayed a few days with my best friend from college. We also meet up with a couple other roommates I hadn't seen in 16 years (shudder, how are we all 35ish now??!!). We had so much fun. We laughed till it hurt and then laughed some more as we ate, ate a little more and drank another diet soda. I love picking up where you left off with someone so easily when it's been a year (or 16) since you've seen them last. I'm glad I went but I was so happy to come home. I missed Milo and the kids like crazy and I missed my life. The life that sometimes drives me crazy, funny how that works, huh? I love that Milo encouraged me to go and willingly hung out with the kids for days while I had a little getaway. He's nice like that and it's pretty awesome.

3. Sunday night, I made it home around 7 and the freshly bathed kids were watching a movie waiting for me to get home. I scooped up Reed (he was the closest to me) and once the other kids heard I was home, they swarmed my legs and were all giving me a hug at once. It was fine for about 15 seconds and Reed realized they were intruding on his hug. He sat up off my shoulder, shook his finger and yelled at them, 'No Guys! Go away guys.... MY MOM!' Of course we all laughed so he yelled it at least 5 more times. Will we ever learn not to laugh?

4. I was tired from driving in the car for 8 hours so I took a shower and went to bed with wet hair Sun night. It was all sorts of crazy in the morning and while I was making the kids breakfast (my back was to the kids) Dane said, 'Mom, you look like you were wrestling a bear last night!' Kat tried coming to my defense but Dane was quick with that one too. He said, 'Oh yes she does, have you seen the front?' Thanks bud.

5. I've had a heavy heart this week and have felt the importance/complete dependence, we have on prayer and our Father in Heaven. My sister in law and brother in law lost their sweet baby at almost 6 months pregnant today. They knew it was going to happen but what a hard, hard day. I had to just watch and worry from the sidelines and my heart broke for them. I was able to visit with them and more importantly give her a big hug tonight and I left feeling so very grateful for the plan of salvation and the knowledge I have that we are not left alone in our trials. He carries us and hears our prayers, what a blessing!

***{I could also add, I haven't taken very many photos this week. I didn't have the focus to take 12 on the 12th today so maybe it will end up being be 12 on the ?th this month. I'm grumbly about 7pm meetings on Sunday that really aren't necessary, for real people....email! I'm not happy about Daylight Savings Time, that hour means something to me when I'm asleep. I'm scrambling with what to do next week, conferences=no school and no school=bored, hungry kids! That's way more than 5 but it's off my chest. Whew.}

9 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Yes. Yes, I can believe it's been two weeks since you posted. I've missed it!

I'm glad you got to go be with your college friends again. Nothing like getting away to give you the perspective to make it the every day.

I miss you.

I, too, am grateful for the Plan of Families and how it gives us comfort in uncomfortable situations. I wish I knew better how to share it with others.

donna said...

SO SORRY about your SIL and BIL. My thoughts are with them. I had a miscarriage when i was 5 months pregnant . IT is so hard. I am also very thankful that Families can be together forever! They will see their baby again.


Glad you had a fun girls weekend.

Laurie said...

You all look darling in that friends photo.

So sorry to hear about the baby.

Good luck with school out next week.

natemann said...

WOW Melanie you look fantastic!!!

Heather said...

What a gorgeous group of girls you and your friends are! Glad you could have a little time off from mommy duty. It's always a good thing for Mom's and Dad's! Hope you survive the week next week. Love you guys!

Heidi said...

You look great in the picture! Love that coat with the big buttons. Cute! I'm glad you went and had a good time. It's always nice for a break and then nice to be back home again.

I feel so bad for them and the loss of their baby!!! That would be incredibly hard. I hope they are doing okay.

Oh good luck with no school and all the kiddos home. yikes!

Kristin said...

Great pic, that's great Milo encouraged you to go. I was wondering if you had gone or not.
Love your 'all sorts of crazy hair' story.

becca said...

What a great weekend! That picture is so cute and I LOVE your hair!! You look so great!

so sorry for your sister in law and brother in law. I cannot imagine going through that. So hard.

Jill said...

I'm so glad you got some time away with your girlfriends, that's such a therapeutic thing to do, plus it's such a bonus to want to go home again.

I'm so sorry for your brother and sister in-law, losing a baby is heartbreaking even when you're prepared for it.