I think there is. I love Milo very much and know he is an answer to my prayers. I love my kids, they bring me joy, they teach me every day and help me want to strive to be better than I am right now. I love where I am at in life compared to where I was 15 years ago. I've grown. I've learned. I've struggled. I've enjoyed. I still have a long way to go, eternity in fact, but I'm working on 'it'. I love my job(s). I don't even mind my jobs of laundry and dishes and mopping and ironing (wait I don't do that one) most days, it's what I signed up for. We have clean clothes, clean dishes and a couple times a week if we're lucky, a clean house. Milo works hard, I work hard. We are a team. Some days are hard, some can be really hard, some days are harder than you could even imagine them. The good days are like that too.
There, it's off my chest. That's how I describe the life I love. In a way that's real to me. I guess if that way is real to them I need to shut my mouth. But really, how can it be??? (and if anything here, just help me feel like I'm not the only one that feels this way)
2. I gave my Grandma a perm today. She kindly informed me she's been waiting on the back burner for me all week. I've been too busy for her, ha. I told her I was going to take a photo of her under the dryer with her curlers for giving me a hard time. She didn't believe me until I went and got my camera. Here she is finally warming up and getting her hair set on rollers so she's ready for Sunday. These rollers are older than me people, vintage rollers! She calls this photo blackmail. I call it payback for making me order her pop for lunch, 'root beer with an inch of sprite, please'. They didn't have lemonade and according to her, I don't know what I'm missing with the root beer substitute. I'm sure she wants to kill me for this but I know she'll forgive me because one day this perm with go away and she'll need another one.
3. The boys played 4. I stayed up until after 2am last night (this morning?) working on the handout for my 'exhibit' at the RS Convention next Thursday. It didn't take me that long to get it done once I got going. But I will admit it took me hours of staring at Microsoft Word to figure out where I was going to take the handout. What I wanted to write and list, who to quote, graphics or not. It's not really getting it done that's the problem, it's finding the vision to start at all. Almost done, whew.
5. Which leads me right into, I need a sleep intervention. I've been staying up way too late for quite a while. Probably since before Christmas. I get in awful habits like this and then they are so hard to break. I've done it before but I forget how I forced myself into a new pattern. Thoughts? Tips? Share them!
6. One more I thought of when I was writing about my need for a sleep intervention. Not only with sleep but I'm also in such a rut with any other healthy habits. Early last summer when I knew we were going to be trying for a baby I slacked off with exercising and somewhat with my eating because I knew we were trying for a baby. I didn't gain any weight thankfully but totally let the habits slide. Fast forward all these months later following surgery (majorly let go after that) and wow, is it ever hard to get those habits back. Baby steps, baby steps. And again, comments with tips, tricks and/or insights are welcome. I need them!
18 comments:
I hear ya about the blog thing. Sometimes you want it to be more than the perfect, shiny life that so often gets portrayed. I love to hear about peoples lives--the good and the bad. You know they are being real and it makes you want to invest time in them.
I have no suggestions with the bad habit thing. There are a few habits I need to break myself!
See ya next week!
Oh man, I loved every point.
That picture of your grandma is the very best. And your line that she'd need another perm so would get over it made me laugh.
I loved you describe your real life that you love. You described it just right. Whenever I come across those types of blogs I just think, "They borrowed storybook lines and feelings because they don't know how to tell their own yet. They'll figure it out someday." And then I move on to another one like yours :)
I have not forgotten Mem Fox. I'm glad you got your handout done.
Oh....I did love this post.
Great post Melanie!
Bad habits are SO hard to get out of, but good habits go away in a snap! Why is that? And you don't need tips, you already said what you need to do, baby steps. First this, than that. Just do it. You know you can.
I love your blog and feel like it's the real you. Thanks Melanie!
I have no idea what you are talking about. My life is super awesome in every single way, and I want the whole world to know it! Hate me if you must. ;)
I like your late nights, it means I have a Words with Friends partner. :)
Bad habits are the worst, but so much fun sometimes! baby steps.
I know exactly what kind of bloggers you're referring to here and I tend to steer clear of them. I know if I find myself rolling my eyes at the computer that I shouldn't be reading that blog!
The picture of your grandma is darling, she sounds like such a character.
Amen sista!
I "heard" that Seriously So Blessed is actually a nonmember who is mocking all the "fluffy" blogs... Hmmm, makes me wonder. I stopped reading it, drove me bonkers.... :) Love you Mel! Staying up too late=Tylenol PM. L:)
You know what I think about "seriously so blessed" blogs!!! Uggghhh!
I love that picture of Arlene under the dryer. She even smiled for the blackmail picture she knew you would post! ha ha. That rootbeer/sprite combo doesn't sound good or even remotely close to lemondae but whatever. When Kyle told me that we had a good laugh about it.
I'm sleep deprived b/c of a baby...what do you do for that?!
Thanks for being real!
I forgot to say what a funny pun I thought baby steps was. Wit.
I love your grandma. She is a spunky one. Oh yes....I too get sick of Patty Perfect blogs.
Kat looks so old in that picture.
I am so over the flowery fake blog thing. We all have problems, we all have bad days, sometimes it just plains sucks. Other really are great also.
That picture of your grandma is so cute. What a great thing to be able to spend time with her like that.
I have been having some seriously late nights since I don't sleep well while Jason is gone. I am sooo tired.
Oh Melanie, we do think alike!! The girls in my ward blog (kind of) They put up the most gorgeous pictures of their kids looking perfect and talk about how great they are....when I KNOW what really happened in that house during the week! It's not journaling if it's not real life.
also, there is nothing quiet so therapeutic as writing "it out" right!?
Your Grandma is so cute! We call it pop at our house too :)
Oh excersise. I completely give it up when I am pregnant (obviously :) and it is SO hard to get back in shape and back in the habit. Not looking forward to it one bit!
Hey Melanie! I just starting reading blogs again & I must say that I love your blog & your honesty!! I totally feel the same way you do about those mommy bloggers who want us to think they are perfect, HA! It truly must be exhausting to maintain that image every day!!
Good luck on changing your bad habits, mine personally have tumbled out of control since moving here. Late nights are just so tempting! Hang in there :)
Haha! So true. Not sure how I got here--one of those surfing from one blog to the next happy accidents--but well said. Although, I'm probably guilty of airing too many imperfections when I tell it like it is! Nevertheless, amen Sister, amen.
I barely even read blogs anymore, and never read the "popular" ones anyways. If I read, I stick with family, because that's all I take time for now days. I miss my obsessive blogging days...really, I do!
Love your Grandma in rollers! She looks so cute! And Kathryn looks so old and grown up with her digital coin counter. Does she "have to" have it even? If she does, she's got the same problem as me. Eating in evens is my big thing!
Love you Mel!
Oh and I hear you about going to bed late, and getting back into the "healthy" routine. I let mine go when I wanted to get prego, ant that was last Feb!! Now, with all that's gone on, and the "prego" weight gain, I'm weigh more then I can remember! ugh!
I totally agree with the "sugary" blogs! I get so tired of we're perfect, our marriage is perfect, our kids our perfect, blah, blah, blah. I think those types of people are in denial. You crack me up!! I love you!
I agree, too-perfect blogs are hard to take. It's unbelievable. I like what's real. (And I like Jane's take on it, it's so much more charitable than my usual reaction...)
Kat looks so grown-up in that picture!
That picture of your grandma and the whole paragraph about it put a huge smile on my face. You are lucky to have her!
Post a Comment