~I've been scanning old photos for a photo book project. I love looking at them but I get sucked in fast and all of the sudden, I've been looking at them for a couple hours and the rest of my work has gone by the wayside. This is one of my favorites of Milo, I just love it. He looks like a blonde Harry Potter (the big glasses/messy hair) in 4H with his two pigs. Don't you think? He can't remember how old he is, probably 7th/8th grade. In all my life I can't image sitting on a pig like this, they must have been best of friends, ha.
~ My literacy station went well last Thursday. The stake had a nice, big turnout and it wasn't nearly as painful as I was expecting. Whew. Two great books, Reading Magic by Mem Fox and The Read Aloud Handbook by Jim Trelease have great ideas and I really enjoyed reading/skimming them. The last chapter of The Read Aloud Handbook is a large treasury list of books sorted by genre, age appropriateness and short reviews. Another good resource to find books for the kids. I spilled more books onto the floor around the table and the edge of the stage. I've always suspected I had a problem with collecting children's books but this made me realize how many we do have. All the books I took didn't account for even 1/4 of what was left at home. Most all of them are still in great shape so I guess you could say I'm saving for the grandkids.
~ Speaking of Milo, he is growing a mustache. Definitely random for him since he only grows hair on half of his lip but whatever keeps him entertained. He saw Sam Elliot on TV and said he wanted a cowboy mustache like that. In his dreams! He couldn't smile for the camera or it disappeared in the photo. Funny guy.~Nathan has the biggest desire to fast and yet, it completely does him in. He gets a major headache, is so wimpy and cries big time every Fast Sunday once we get home. The kids have been fighting off colds that haven't quite become full blown so I encouraged them to eat breakfast. I felt their bodies needed some nourishment to fight their colds. I explained they could still have a fasting heart and go without lunch and not eat until dinner. We have 1-4 church so dinner isn't until 5:30 or so. To me this that adequate for their ages, 9 and 10, especially with them starting with stuffy noses and small coughs. Nathan still cried, he said I ruined his fast and made him eat which equaled crying. I guess I should have just let him fast. That way he would have been crying on his terms and not mine. Will I ever learn?
~ Two sisters bore their testimonies in Relief Society today. They bore witness of the Plan of Salvation and how they've never been so close to needing it's strength right now. They lost their mother 2 weeks ago in a car accident. I cried with them and for them, how hard that must be! It reminded me of when Milo lost his dad in a car accident 9 years ago. I am so grateful he will be with his dad again. I'll be with my grandpa who I loved dearly. What a wonderful blessing to know, to really know.
~ They are putting on a stake play again (in old town) and I cannot wait to go see it. This year it's The Sound of Music and if I lived in town, I think I'd try and sneak in every night. I love the movie, the music, the story, all of it. Marion is a nun and the Baroness. She gets to wear a habit and get her bling on in fancy dresses. Every other play they've done has been amazing and I know this one will be as well. Break a leg Marion!
11 comments:
I do love your posts Melanie.
I loved the picture of Milo with his pigs. It's funny to be in bed with pigs when you think about it, but in 4-h it seems so normal.
The someday-to-be-Sam-Elliot-mustache of Milo's is funny as well. Especially since you said it disappeared if he smiled. How funny.
I even brought the other Mem Fox book with me to the temple a week ago so I could hook up with you and then decided against it. I thought, "I'm certain she has more than enough information and she already has one Mem Fox book." I'm so glad your presentation went well. And I don't think you can have too many good children's books. I think my favorites are still Heggedy Peg and Fanny's Dream. What are yours? I loved your display.
I'm excited to see the play, too.
Ahhhh...fasting. It's a bear sometimes.
When is the play in "old town" scheduled to debut?
I love all your random blurbs. They are so fun!
Milo's mustache is so funny. Give Terry three days and he has a full beard. Funny.
I hear you on the fasting front. We have been having Tessa fast since she turned eight and when we had church at 11, it wasn't too bad, but now with church at 1, she is about to kill someone by the time we get home, and I end up putting her to bed way too early, which results in a restless night. I have to keep reminding myself that it's worth it.
Hope I see you when you come to the play!!
Such a cute picture of Milo with the pigs! I love old photos!!
And the mustache is hilarious!
Fasting is so hard for kids, epecially the entire day fast. i remember one year growing up we had 1pm church and my mom would have us skip breakfast and then eat lunch before church. We would be too sick otherwise. Last year I did the same thing. I would try to eat an early dinner Saturday evening (like 4pm) and then start fasting, but break it around noon, before church, otherwise I would be so sick and dizzy and would end up crying by the time church was over.
I think your booth looks fantastic and so interesting. I need those books!
I laughed out loud at your blog post! Milo....what can I say? I "birthed" him! I miss the "boy" in that photo! (pigs, not mustache! Ha!) DAYS I'd spend at the fair to make sure all was well!And the dissapearing mustache about did me in! It's so true...he has no upper lip!
You're display looked amazing, Mel! Good job! You always pull it off no matter what you do!
Fasting and headaches was what I dealt with as a kid, too! Usually turned into a migraine! Poor, Nathan!
The play...I have a ticket for you every night if you want to come! I better get my wig tomorrow or I'll be paying you gas money and your professional hair abilities to get me from nun to baroness!!
Great post!
Your book station looks great. The poster is awesome and wow, that's a lot of books! They all look like they are in pristine condition- impressive.
Milo's mustache---what?! haha.
Fasting is hard even for adults! When we told Kate yesterday that it was fast sunday she said she wanted to fast. We told her she can wait until she is 8 (then she might not want to! haha).
My kids have always wanted pigs---PIGS? I don't get it. Tell me when the play is please. Great display by the way...
That picture of Milo on the pig is priceless!
It's funny to me that he wants a cowboy mustache, too.
I love children's books, too. Now I want to read the recommendations in The Read Aloud Handbook.
You've started a bit of an uproar in my family - everyone wants the recipe for sour cream banana bars with brown butter frosting!
p.s. It's so darling that Nathan wants to fast so badly.
Let me know if you come see the play so we can give you the 7 grain cereal:)!!! Fun post!
Love the pic of Milo and his pig. I loved those few years I had of taking a pig. We did love our pigs and would give them baths everyday at the fair and clean out there nasty stall. Love the smell of saw dust at the fair as it reminds me of those days.
Milo's mustache is HILARIOUS! They always creep me out though, and I hope it didn't last long.
Post a Comment