Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Five Whole Months

Mr. Owen,

You are getting so big. You are such a happy baby most all of the time. I'm pretty sure it's because you have another face talking/cooing/smiling back at you and it's isn't always the same one. Your siblings adore you and still argue about who was talking to you last or longest. Never lacking for entertainment, you enjoy every minute of them. For now.

Sometimes I have to remind myself you are only five months old. We don't remember life without you. It's tiring to tend to your needs but I know this stage goes fast. Even on the hard days, I remind myself you won't be a baby for long. Today for example, I held you more than normal while I rotated laundry, checked on the clean status of your brothers' bedroom (deplorable!) and even while I browned the meat for dinner. My arms are tired from holding your 18+ pounds but I would do it again tomorrow.

We set up your exersaucer today and you're quite taken with it. A place not to sit or lay down, finally. Each toy made it's way to your mouth if it was long enough. If not, you bent right over and gave it a taste. Every. thing. in. the. mouth. That's the stage we're in right now. Lots of people comment it could be your teeth. That would be crazy for a baby in our family, everyone else was almost one. I just think you like to chew.

I spoke too soon, you still have not found that thumb you want to badly on a regular basis. It's frustrating as ever for me too. You want to suck your thumb but will settle for the binki to soothe yourself to sleep. Here's the frustrating part, they you bump the binki out to try for the thumb again. And get frustrated again. Come on buddy, this is your thumb's month!

You're outgrown my favorite outfit (twice now). Someone gave you this cute Carter's outfit when you were born but you only wore it for a few weeks. Gramimi gave it to you again for Christmas because she knew I wanted to see you in those elephants for longer. I just love that little baby elephant, trailing his mama and holding on to her tail.

In other news, you have found your squeal. Your screech. Your scream. And it is loud. You must know how loud you need to be to be heard as child #5. We're learning, with you as our caboose, you already know how to get our attention. Trust us when we say, we hear you. Especially in the car. Your babbles and coos are darling, let's hear more of those this month, okay?

Little boy, you are such a blessing in my life. In all of our lives. I'm amazed once again at all that goes on in a baby's first year of life. You are learning. You are growing. You are so much fun to watch. I'm blessed to be your mother. I love you Owen.

4 comments:

Granny DeeAnn said...

Sweet baby Owen. I can't believe how big he is getting. What a joy to have him in our family. Grandma Dee Ann misses him so give him a few XOXOXO from me!

Lucy said...

What a great letter. I can see why you are so infatuated with 5 months! What a cutie. I hope he finds that thumb soon!

Melinda said...

He is 5 months? That is crazy! He is so darn cute.

Holly said...

He is soooo cute Mel! Keep on enjoying him! He is so lucky to be in your family! :0)