Tuesday, May 08, 2012

Catching Up with Pictures

I've made this unfortunate mistake before. I turned the oven on before taking out the dirty dishes in hiding. In my defense, it's been a long time. Against my defense, will I ever learn? I sure will miss that huge cutting board. It was perfect for watermelon. Sigh.

It looks like we have another flexible man on our hands.

And just like his brothers, he loves to eat his feet. I do wish it was a stage a couple of them had grown out of, ha! (I wont name names.....)

Yesterday when I went to put Reed in the tub I noticed the baby washrags on the back of the tub with a lizard just hanging out. They had dried that way. I didn't think much of it and went to push them in the water when he yelled, 'Don't mess up my decowation!'. He's a funny one.

Owen has currently been pretty messed up with his sleep. Oh to lose sleep once you have it again. It's no problem for me when they are newborns but once they start sleeping and then go through a non sleep phase, oh my it about kills me. I started thinking, well he is 6 months maybe he's hungry. I bought some baby food and rice cereal (on how I hate this stage). The first go round, he actually ate and seemed to quite like it.

The second go round, not so much. Not sure if you can tell but this is him arching his back and trying to escape both the spoon of food and the Bumbo he's sitting in. The last two nights he's gotten back to sleeping so for now, I'm ditching the food idea. Too. much. work.

Sigh, hostas make me miss our old, loud, cramped rental. I didn't even know what kind of plant it was for the first year we lived there but I loved how they grew in the spring. So fast and green. Without much work too, it was the best. Our friends from that awesome street had some they were cutting out and did I want them. Yes!

We have curbing and rock flower beds around our whole house with nary a plant. Daunting for this brown thumb to get started but on the north, shady side of the house I planted four of the five plants they gave us. I love them. Please stay alive hostas, I love you in the spring.

Sunday I made pork roast in the crock pot and so yesterday I knew the rest of the meat would be made into something else. I settled on pork tacos and they were a good second meal. Early afternoon I decided I wanted some Mexican Cabbage Salsa to go with them. Both Milo and I love the stuff but usually only eat it at a certain restaurant we went to where we used to live. Enter Google. Isn't it awesome? I found one that sounded similar and it was so good! Except for the chips, completely fat free and just veggies, another bonus.

Of course I can't find the link to add here. It was on the iPad and not it's nowhere to be found. I'll keep searching even though I didn't really follow the exact ingredient proportions anyway. It's one that you can make to your taste, little less of this, little more of that. Milo and I may or may not have (uh um) nearly gotten sick on the stuff last night. Dangerous stuff this summer....

Mexican Cabbage Salsa
I bag precut Cabbage Mix (the kind ready for cole slaw, because I'm a little lazy and it was on sale)
2-3 Roma Tomatoes, remove seeds and chop fine
4 Jalapenos, I removed the seeds from 3 and used one with seeds for a little heat
1/2 an onion, chopped very fine
2 garlic cloves (I used minced onion)
Cilantro to taste (I probably used 1/3 of a bunch)
salt and pepper to taste
juice of two limes
Rice or Apple Cider Vinegar, just enough liquid to coat the cabbage or to taste

9 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

My goodness those nimble bones and muscles start young. I can't believe Owen can pull those suckers uphill to his mouth.

That Mexican salsa looks so good. Thank you for posting the recipe. It is right up my alley. Just this morning I thought, "I do love cabbage. I even like it cooked."

I love it when you post. Thank you.

Amie said...

I LOVE the first picture! I haven't done that since we sold our house 12 years ago... which is shocking, I'm quite lazy.

Thanks for the salsa recipe, we eat a lot of cabbage.

PS - I can't believe your baby is 6 months! Where have I been? Super cute.

natemann said...

I will forever laugh at you and how you can write!!! your baby is awesome and I have left brownies I was hiding in the oven and baked them twice, dang i wanted those brownies!!!

Kristin said...

Owen is so cute. That melted plastic looks tough to clean up. Bummer. But funny.

Lucy said...

Owen has grown! And he’s quite the circus performer!

I’m surprised I have never tried the oven hiding trick. Bummer about the cutting board.

I am going through the exact same thing. It’s like I’m back in the newborn phase with the last 4 nights being woken up 3-4 times. It’s exhausting. And maddening.

I want to try that salsa recipe. Yummy!

Heidi said...

I hope you were able to save your oven rack! What a mess...melted plastic! Sorry.

Good thing Owen is flexible. he would miss out since all his other brothers would show him up with their skills! I'm not a fan of baby food feeding either. I like it when they can eat table food. Less work.

Hostas are pretty. I planted one in our backyard a few years ago, it's gone now. Maybe I need a new one!

Granny DeeAnn said...

While you did "learn" many qualities from me, this one you did not. Salsa looks good. Probably good on any sandwich. Love that little Owen is flexable like his big brothers.... I'm taking this one! Your plant looks great.

Melinda said...

So it is just me or is Owen a lot blonder than the rest of your kids? He is so darn cute.

I really want to try that mexican salsa. It looks so good.

Hope you are back to normal with your sleep. I don't do well without it.

natalieandersen07 said...

so I have never done the stick the dirty dishes in the stove b/c i know this would happen to me. Although, my friend hid their halloween bowl in the stove because her husband wouldn't stay out of it. She said it melted everywhere and was horrible