Monday, April 30, 2012

Good Lesson

Yesterday the talks at church were all focused on visiting teaching and home teaching. Sometimes a 'tune it out' subject (did I just say that?), both speakers did a great job and I felt the spirit during their messages. With it being a 5th Sunday the Relief Society and Priesthood met together and you guessed it, we talked about the same subject. I'm not one that has a faith building or life changing story with either my home or visiting teachers through the years. But they turned the lesson into a discussion and there were some great stories shared. Each person that shared their story, knew their visiting or home teacher by name no matter how long ago they were served. I love that they made a point to name the person/persons that changed their life.

~A man (raised a staunch Catholic) was converted after he and his wife (a member) lost their baby girl at 10 days old. He simply could not believe his daughter was going to purgatory as that is what he was taught and raised to believe. When his wife's visiting teacher bore her testimony he felt a witness of the spirit testify of the truth in what he had just heard. It was a few years before he was baptized but that started his conversion. I loved hearing his story.

~An older woman talked about when she was starting her family and was a young married girl at the age of 18. She was not active but had two 'little old ladies, like she is now' never give up on visiting her every month. She mentioned their first and last names and said she would never forget their kindness. She said she finally told them she just wasn't worthy to be at church, it had been too long. Dotty (I love picturing a Dotty saying this) told her, 'Church is a hospital for sick souls'. How wise. She slowly came back to church and always has those sisters that are long gone, in her heart. Truthfully I did. not. want. to go to church yesterday (should I not admit that?). Of course now I'm glad I went. The 'hospital' provided good medicine for my 'sick soul'.

The teacher shared a fortune he recently got from a cookie. I'm sure it's a saying that's been around but I had not heard it before.

'The first best time to plant a tree....10 years ago. 
The second best time to plant a tree....Today.'

I left yesterday with a resolve and a desire to be better, to do better and not just with visiting teaching. To not dwell on what I could have done yesterday or 5 years ago and to remember that I have today.

5 comments:

donna said...

wonderful post.

Barbie said...

Yesterday, our pastor's sermon was on God being the doctor for the sick...reminding us that we are all sick. He also talked about how, just like a lot of people do, we can put of "treatment" for a long time, but eventually we'll NEED the doctor. I too loved hearing this analogy as I think it's easy for people to compare themselves to others. Because they are comparing themselves, I think they try to hide their sickness instead of getting "healed". Wouldn't life just be easier if we all would be more transparent and just love on others??!!

Enough rambling... Great post!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I've thought about what you wrote off and on all day (I read it early this morning). I just loved it. Thank you Melanie.

Will I get to see you again soon?

Melinda said...

Loved all of the examples especially the hospital for the sick soul. So perfect.

Lucy said...

I am a horrible visiting teacher. I think it’s because I secretly hate to be visit taught. And I definitely tune out during those lessons. For shame. I’ll go and plant a tree:)