It's cherry season once again. We've picked cherries as a family in my aunt and uncle's orchard for years. It's something we look forward to, both the eating and the sharing of them. We love the Rainier cherries best but the Bing cherries are a close second (I just hate how they stain). They are so kind to let us come and pick. Last year, we picked quite a bit and the kids sold them on the corner. They made $48 and split it three ways. They were so proud of themselves. They couldn't wait until it was time to pick again. (read.....earn some cold hard cash)
It's a 50 mile drive one way to the orchard and with gas nearly $4 a gallon factored in, I doubt they earn much but it's the lesson of work learned, right? It's not all work, it's fun for them. They love to climb the trees and the tall picking ladders. Not to mention the cherries they eat and seeds they spit all down the rows. Even Nathan that is afraid of heights climbed to the top of the ladder for a 'perfect batch of cherries'. We had today or Thursday to choose from this week schedule wise and once I looked at the weather, we loaded up and were on our way. Today-75 degrees. Thursday- 91 degrees. It was a no brainer. We had perfect weather. Gorgeous blue skies, fluffy white clouds, a breeze and good attitudes had by all. Whew.
We were only gone 4 hours or so, and picked two flats full. I'd say we are efficient cherry pickers. We came home and bagged them up into 'generous 2lb bags' and ended up with 28 bags. Pretty impressive. I painted the sign with the hopes it will catch enough eyes to sell all 28 bags. They are pre-spending that money like no tomorrow. They have their sights set on a new Wii game and the accessories to go with it. Thankfully this was after they reminded me about paying their tithing first. Such good kids.
When I put Owen in his crib this is how I found Reed. So tired, he crashed with his hat on. Sleep tight, tired boy.
Dare I hope he (and the rest of them) sleep in tomorrow?



6 comments:
Come sell them in my driveway and they could almost double that amount. It's crazy what west siders are forced to pay for cherries!! it kills me. And this week I caved and paid their ridiculous prices. I'm blaming pregnancy hormones.
Way to go to your kids though! Picking cherries is not easy:) I hope they sell them all!
Camery
You are one terrific mom to invest in your kids' work habits like that.
I so wish I were close enough to get some.
Sounds like a great day, I bet they will take good care of a game they worked hard to earn.
I love my little cherry pickers. Way more dedicated than Granny. Maybe I can help next year. (I will watch Owen. lol)You won't find me on top of a ladder. Sell, sell, sell! Baby needs new shoes.
This is such a great thing to teach your kids! It seems like no one makes their kids works anymore. Mine are always complaining that they are the only ones in the neighborhood who have to do real chores.
I hope the kids earn their money and get their game!
My kids has never picked cherries.. Next time you go give us a call...
Post a Comment