Yesterday, we packed up bright and early and off we went to Silverwood. We met up some friends half way there and drove the rest of the way together. The kids were good travelers, we listened to an audio book (Series of Unfortunate Events). Even Dane who had an upset tummy did well with the drive (3 hrs). I was really worried about him in the back of the van and getting sick while driving. He did great and never threw up, good job buddy!
The kids were so excited to go with other kids. My friend Lindsay and I go all the way back to the early 90's (haha), we were at Rick's College together. Yeah, that's dating us. We've been friends since long before husbands, kids and much more (ahem....wrinkles). She has 4 kids (she brought an extra one along too) so every kid has a 'match' in our family except Owen. We both joked beforehand about how the day would go because neither of us can handle the rides in our old age.We both took one for the team and rode a couple rides. I could not ride rides all day without some Dramamine, how do people do it?
This is our third summer hitting the amusement park and it's gotten better with every visit. Now we know the lay out of the park. We know where the bathrooms are, the best place to grab a refill and what rides have the longest lines. We're also used to, though still don't appreciate, the people that insist swimwear is a clothing option to walk around in and ride roller coasters in all day.
The carousel is the first ride when you walk in. The kids raced to get right on it. Doesn't Reed's face just ooze happiness? Behind Reed, Nathan and his buddy Joel.
I know it gets pretty old hearing it but honestly, Owen is a dream baby. He was perfect the whole day. He didn't have one single fit. He smiled and cooed when anyone talked to him. He tolerated the heat and sun.
He slept when he was supposed to. He only had one dirty diaper. He was a major champ in the stroller or car seat all. day. long. Love this baby boy.
In the afternoon, Lindsay took the kids to the water park side and I had the three youngest boys to pal around with for an hour and a half. Oh my goodness, Reed and Tyler made the whole day worth it. When they saw him, they wanted to 'hug' Garfield. After their hugging, I made them turn around and look at me for a picture. They both gave him a big, two armed hug like he was their long lost cat. Reed has been reading the Garfield comics the kids check out from the library, maybe that's why they're so close this year?
Both little guys wanted to ride the 'scenic' train. It turned out to be 30 minutes well spent. It was in the shade and gave me a chance to feed Owen not sitting on the grass. Tyler said the ride could've been better because, 'we didn't see enough animals in the woods'.
About half way around the woods of Silverwood, there was a train robbery. The bandit actor jumped up on the train swinging his gun and yelled, 'put your hands up'. Oh how I wish I had a photo of the boys and their faces. Eyes as big as saucers.
They lowered their hands and as the bandit came closer he yelled, 'I didn't say to put them down. Put your hands back up!' Can't you just tell how scared they were? I whispered to them this was acting and was all fake. They relaxed a little after that, whew.
My turn to take one for the team in the ride department was to take the little boys on the Tilt-a-Whirl (not us above obviously). We went on it early in the day and I was queasy for a long time after but it was so worth it. I made it spin like crazy and they couldn't stop giggling. It made my whole day. So much so that when they asked to ride it again as we were walking out, I risked having that sick stomach the whole way home. All so I could see their faces and hear them laugh one more time. Again, totally worth it.
All 10 kids as we left the park at 7:30pm.
The older kids did. not. stop. the whole day. Nathan and Dane loved hanging out with Joel. Kathryn and Vanessa were great riding partners. Sidney and Elisabeth did their own 'teenage' thing. Reed and Tyler rode together on almost all the rides together (except for when Reed wanted the white plane and Tyler waned the red one). Surprisingly, Lindsay and I found time to chat and laugh.
We left the park, stopped for gas and were already on the freeway once I realized I hadn't fed Owen (poor baby). We pulled off so he could eat and then were on our way. We were over half way home when Reed decided he'd had enough of the car. He cried, Owen cried. He screamed, Owen screamed. I was grateful when we pulled in and could call it a night. Grateful for the safe travels there and back.
Two adults, ten kids, countless rides, few meltdowns, no lost children, Dippin' Dots, wet clothes, picnic lunch, sunburned faces and more. I left wanting to say, 'Take that Silverwood. See ya next year!'







4 comments:
looks like you all had a great time.... IT has been a few years since the last time our family has been to silver wood.. We may have to drive up there some weekend...
I.Am.So.Impressed. :) Sounds like a fabulous time and no melt downs except on the way home. That's a success. The tilt-a-whirl is the worst for making me sick. You should do the roller coasters. Those are a lot easier on the stomach. haha.
I'm with Heidi, 10 kids is no small feat and you guys did it!
You and Lyndsey are a great team. I can only imagine what you found to laugh at, but I guarantee it would have been funny whatever it was.
That Owen is a keeper. He's just so easy going and sweet.
Glad you made it home safe.
I am so sad for you that you get sick on rides! I love, love going on fast rides.
Way to go on taking all of the kids to a park, especially with a baby. It looks like it was a really fun day.
Post a Comment