Thursday, August 23, 2012

Full Day

Today has been full of haircuts, lunch, an orientation, soccer practice (while we were at orientation), cast placement and pack meeting. Whew, it's finally quiet. Onto the photos....

 A few days ago I suggested we cut Kathryn's hair before school started and add some bangs. She was against it completely so I dropped it. Once she thought about it, she casually mentioned to me yesterday that she would like some new bangs to go with her haircut. Isn't she adorable? Her age is one my favorite ages to give a 'new look' to. They are just so giddy and happy with said look. I love it.

 We went to the park for lunch. Owen loved this little ride. He thinks he's such a big boy now.

 They are leaving me next week for school. It's such a double edged sword. I get excited for them. I get sad for me. I get excited for me. I get sad for them. It's hard to explain but I think most moms know exactly what I mean.

 Tonight Kat had her middle school orientation. We picked up her schedule, tried her locker 50 times, met a couple teachers and she had her picture taken (thus the new clothes and cute new bangs). She was issued prime property with the top locker but she can barely see the numbers! She tried and tried and tried to get that combo down. After she opened it once, she was ready to move on. I told her to get it a couple more times. She opened it one more time and then with a sigh said, 'I'm tired, I'll try it again on the first day'. So funny, the girl makes me laugh.

It's unbelievable really. Middle School?? I'm excited for her to grow up and experience new things. She loves to learn and meet new people. She was born for learning and school. She's happy and content, a teacher's dream really (of course she can be a little chatty so she's not completely perfect in school, but close!). I'm melancholy we are already at this point. It seems I was just where she is but really it was 1986 when I started 6th grade. Craziness. It's going to be a good year Kat!

From there we went to get Reed's cast put on. He really wanted a green cast but they had just ran out. It took him a minute to decide after that but he settled on 'Iron Man' red.

I asked for a waterproof cast and at first it felt like they tried to deter me and said there were pros and cons with that choice. I wanted to know the 'cons'. They said, insurance doesn't cover the lining so I'd have to pay out of pocket. I braced myself. The nurse said it was going to be $20. Hello! It's summer, the end but still. He's a busy 4.5 year old little boy. 4 weeks wearing said cast. Sign me up. I'd probably even pay double. The plastic covers made for swimming and bathing are $35+ (I know this from past cast experiences) so heavens yes I'll pay $20.

His fingers are freer in this cast than they were in the temporary one. He was starting to get really frustrated because he couldn't buckle his car seat, open the van door, eat with his left hand, play the Wii or get dressed without help. He's already been able to be a little more independent and all of us are thankful, he's demanding!

He also took a bath tonight just to prove he could swim all over the tub with his cast, ha. I was curious too so I said, 'jump in buddy'! Possibly the best $20 I've spent all summer!

No photos of soccer practice for Dane and none of pack meeting for Nathan and Dane. Yay, I got to stay home with the little ones and Kat. Pack meeting is not my favorite. Oops, I just said that out loud.

5 comments:

Melinda said...

I don't enjoy pack meetings either! My luck is that they only hold them when Jason is out of town so I have to go.

20$ is the best money ever spent on a waterproof cast! I didn't even know they had water proof ones! Amazingly we have only had 1 cast with Blake but I guess 3 with Jason. I'm going to remember that one.

Your days sounds so busy!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh Kat, the bangs and haircut look so good on you. You're so lucky to have a mom who knows style.

Reed, Iron Man red was a good choice. I hope it smells good. $20 was a great deal. So glad you knew what to ask for.

You described that melancholy PERFECTLY as a double-edged sword.

Pack meetings. Chaos.

Heidi said...

Jeni would agree about the den meetings. haha. She just started too. :)

I didn't know they had waterproof casts either. $20 is a no brainer for sure! Smart!

Kathryn is too cute with her new haircut. I remember using lockers and being SOOO nervous. It would be weird to have a kid at that stage going through all of that. Memories for sure.

Kristin said...

Wow, what a day. Any otger big event you coukd get in on one day?
Cute haircut! Poor Reed, casts are so frustrating.

Becky Noftle said...

Why didn't they offer the waterproof cast to Carter---man that would have been a game changer!! Sorry though Reeders--even waterproof being in a cast is not fun. Kat is amazing--she will light that middle school up. And soccer, sounds like as much fun as pack meeting--and I know I said that outloud!