Wednesday, September 12, 2012

37 Random Acts of Kindess

 Birthdays have never been a big day for me. I'm not a big party person and don't expect lots of presents and attention. When I saw this post on Pinterest about Random Acts of Kindness to celebrate every year on earth, I knew I wanted to do this with the kids. I asked if they were on board to do 37 acts of kindness for my birthday. They are such good kids, they said yes. We started a few days early and just finished this morning. It took us longer than one day (and we didn't spend nearly the amount of money as Robyn did on her day) but the outcome was just as fulfilling. Monday and Tuesday I asked the kids to look for opportunities to go out of their way to be kind so their acts of kindness are part of my list. It was a team effort to get all the way to 37. The only regret I have is I didn't take enough photos. I guess it can be considered a plus as well since that meant I was enjoying the moment. Here is our list.....

1. Picked up garbage at Nathan's and Dane's soccer games.
2. Smiled at every person I made eye contact with while shopping at Walmart.
3-4. Shared fresh peaches with two friends
5-7.Delivered frozen cookie dough balls to three different people.

8-12. Taped money to the hospital vending machines. We taped one to the first vending machine we found and went to find four more. We walked all over but couldn't find another machine. It was 7pm on a Sunday night so there wasn't anyone to ask. We turned around, deciding to tape all of them to the same machine. We got a little lost and ended up in a restricted area. The kids could tell I was a little stressed in the doctor hallways. Reed said nervously, 'Let's get out of here!'. When we got back to the vending machine the first bag of coins was already gone. They were so excited. When we drove off, they saw people reading the note cards.
13. Nathan and Dane left for school with a pocket full of change each with the job of dropping the coins along their path to school so other kids would find the money. They were soon bothered because one little girl behind them was picking up every coin. Haha, that cracked me up. They stopped dropping them because they didn't want her getting all the loot. They waited and put some on the playground and Dane proudly hid some in the bathroom. Hilarious.
14. Crayons and coloring books to the hospital waiting room.
15. Kathryn stood up for a girl she didn't know that was getting picked on and told the other girl to stop.
16. Dane saved a nickel from the morning coin drop and put it on his neighbor's desk.
17. Nathan helped his teacher with some papers.

18. We went to the dollar store and bought 4 balloons to give away to kids at the grocery store. This was definitely out of Nathan's comfort zone (he almost didn't participate on this one). I'm so glad he powered through. He is too. We went to the grocery store looking for kids that might like an unexpected balloon. The second we walked into the store Nathan found a little girl and asked her if she wanted his balloon. She took it and before we were far enough away she found her dad and said, 'that boy gave me his balloon'. Nathan was listening to every word. We heard the dad tell her what a nice thing that was for him to do. Before we were any further away, Nathan lit up and told me how good that felt. Success. Kathryn and Reed gave away their balloons next and Dane was left to find one more kid. He found a little boy (I'm so glad he picked this one, he looked as if he didn't get a balloon very often) and asked if he wanted his balloon. The mom was worried she would have to pay for it and when I told her no, she smiled really big. The little boy was quite shy and didn't want to take the balloon from Dane. We coaxed him into it and he hugged it as we walked away. When we left the store, I was sad I didn't have a balloon to give away. Why didn't I think of that? This was a fun one! Best four dollars spent in a while.
19. Paid for the person behind us at the drive thru. I told the kids unless a Suburban full of a big Mormon family drove up behind us (it was Monday night), we'd buy that person's food. Nathan was so confused. 'How will we know what they want?' 'Wont they be mad at us?' 'Do we have to get in their car?' We convinced him it would be just fine. An older man that was alone drove up behind us and I told the kids, we are doing this. The kids kept turning around and looking at him while he ordered and while we paid. His total was $3.13. We were at the food window and watched while he found out we paid, he was definitely bewildered. When he pulled forward, he pointed a stern finger at me and I couldn't detect a smile. It kinda made me nervous. The kids were so excited, they told me they saw him smile. Ah.
20. Picked up garbage at the park while we ate dinner. Someone at the park even liked our idea but she didn't help out. She pointed out garbage for the kids to pick up. People are funny.
21. Pulled a few weeds in our neighbor's yard.
22. Dane helped a 1st grader that started crying during a basketball game.
23. Dane cleaned up spilled soap in the bathroom so 'no one would slip and get hurt'.
24. Nathan paired up with someone that didn't have a partner (the one kid no one ever picks to be with)
25. Kathryn picked up garbage during lunch hour. Goldfish bags everywhere she said (she was actually quite disgusted).
26. Returned carts at the store.
27. Wrote two overdue thank you cards.
28. Went to the scout store (on my birthday even!) to buy Dane's Bear book. He's been hounding me for weeks before he even turned 9. This was truly an act of kindness, I don't like the scout store.
29. Went to the park with Reed instead of catching up on the huge laundry pile (OK, I chatted with my good friend too which was an extra bonus to Reed's burning desire to play with someone and get energy out).

30. Took a dozen donuts (for maybe 3 guys?) to the fire station this morning. We wrote on the box, 'Our family thanks you!!'. We all wrote our names and ages. Reed wrote his name twice. The firefighters were so kind to the boys. It's a little sad Kat was already at school. Better planning would be to get this done earlier in the morning so she could be with us. Next time Kat!
31. Donated some cute fleece fabric I've had forever. I was going to 'get that blanket done' any day, ha. Now it goes to good use for our stake Relief Society's fall service project of making blankets. Better than my shelf!
32. Shared birthday treats with a neighbor.
33. Donated some used books to Friends of the Library.
34. Held the door for people at the store.
35.  Let people go in front of me in line.
36. Put change in an empty tip jar.
37. Wrote a note to each of the kids telling them how much I appreciate their kindness and how much I love them.

In a talk during the Priesthood session of conference in October 2008, President Uchtdorf quoted one of his friends that said, 'stand close together and lift where you stand'. I love that idea, what a way to live. Stand close together and lift where you stand. A little out of context from the talk (I'm not moving a grand piano from a chapel to the foyer) but it applies to so much in life. Together we can do great things and surely they start with kindness.

Kindness really does matter. Best birthday in a long time.

12 comments:

Brenda said...

Crying.

Laurie said...

Holy moly. That is so great Melanie. Thanks for the inspiration Melanie. I will definitely have to do this with the kids. What a great thing.

Lindsey said...

This really was so amazing! My heart was full as I read. Your kids are so sweet and you are such an amazing mom! Happy birthday!

Melinda said...

This is such an awesome thing! I love the balloon one. So sweet.

donna said...

Mel~ What a great idea....... Thanks so much for being such a wonderful example to me.. : )

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I'm still just so blown away that you took the time, energy, and money to serve others and to teach your kids to serve as well.

You're the best.

Marion said...

How fun and special! Good for you and the kids. I'm sure they're ready to do it again!

Becky Noftle said...

I love this idea--could I possibly do 42 acts of kindness by Oct.10th? Maybe if my kids get into like your angels.....hmmm we will see!!!

Holly said...

You made me cry Mel. You are awesome, and so are the kids. Maybe because you are teaching them lessons like this! LOVE YOU!!!

Vicki Sabin said...

LOVED this post - what a great idea. I wished I'd thought of it 20 years ago... I'll have to start now to get 57 random acts of kindness done by my next birthday! You are a good person & I'm so glad I know you. Happy belated birthday :).

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
marcalicious said...

that is AWESOME!!!! your kids are blessed to have you as their mom! :)