Monday, November 05, 2012

Halloween and a Haircut

 I have more to update than this (and much more on the horizon...hello three birthdays this coming week) but I'm missing a certain camera card. When it's found I'll report on Kathryn's first band concert (25 songs in 25 minutes if that tells you anything) and something else I'm forgetting, ha.

 Halloween is old news for most blogs by now but here are my Fearless Five. A spooky (or not so) spider, a hula dancer, Harry Potter, a bank robber (made up the night before. whew, he's hard to please) and Captain America. When they older three kids were little I would have meltdowns and break out into a cold sweat getting the kids ready and out the door. It was exhausting. I have to say, like all things parenting, this holiday has evolved too. It's still not my favorite but we've come a long way now that they dress themselves. It's much better! It was a gorgeous day in terms of weather. We didn't need jackets, the wind didn't blow and they all came home happy/tired with their loot.

 Kathryn reached 'cool kid' status this year. She walked around with a group of friends, no parents invited (which killed Nathan by the way). She had a good time and felt like a grown up girl. I'm grateful for the big group of girls her age in our ward, I felt good about letting her go. Well except for the growing up part. The big boys were out for the long haul but Reed isn't a true fan of door to door trick or treating. After two streets, he told me he was ready to go home and get ready for bed. All right then, that's fine by me. Milo kept the two older boys out long enough to come home with what seemed like 10 lbs of candy. Don't you just love this posed shot? Reed kept moving his shield around in slow motion, he's quite the character.

 Look at this almost one year old boy. He was getting nap hair and car seat hair too much for my liking so I squished him in the Bumbo and cut his hair a couple days ago. He was awful, crying and moving all over the place. I couldn't figure out what his problem was and then I realized my rookie mistake.

 I forgot to give him a sucker. Duh, that solved everything! If you click on this picture, you can see just how much his face was covered in hair and sucker mess. Who cares, his cute hair was worth the sticky mess he left on everything. He went straight to the tub. He has the best hair of all my boys at this age. It's thick and lays so nice at his neckline, I love it.

Can you even stand how cute this boy is??
I never get tired of fresh haircut photos on a little one.
 His favorite thing to do is climb up the stairs so I had to hurry with this one. He would flip around and climb away from me as fast as he could. He's been teething again which translates in to crappy sleep for both of us. He cut another side bottom tooth, one top front tooth with the other one not too far behind. He will be one in six short days and I'm in a little bit of mourning over it. I'll save the rest of his antics and stats for his birthday post. But I will say, he's a curious, adorable, busy, lovable, happy baby that I kiss and squeeze on a daily basis. I'm a lucky mom.

7 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Oh ho, this line made me chuckle: "He has the best hair of all my boys at this age. It's thick and lays so nice at his neckline, I love it." That would be noticed by you!

He is adorable in those overalls and that haircut.

Kristin said...

I had the same thought--neckline?--I'm good to get my boys in that chair before their hair is in their eyes!
They all look great in their costumes

Melinda said...

The kids all look so cute! I just posted my Halloween so your not alone.

I wish I could cut my kids hair. Thankfully I have an awesome neighbor who cuts it for 5$ a kid. She calls me every 6 weeks and asks if the kids need haircuts and I just send them down one by one giving one of the kids money.

Lucy said...

He is adorable, as are all of your kids. I love their Halloween costumes. I've had to take all of them out by myself the past few years so they don't really get a choice how long we stay out. It's all on mama's time!

Of course, he looks so grown up now! I'm jealous of your haircuting skills as I don't think I could convince a stylist to give Daniel a sucker to hold still. Dreading that one.

Amie said...

Your kids look so cute in their costumes! I skipped Halloween so you are ahead of me too!

donna said...

Reed has the best smile..

Jess said...

Your kids are so cute Melanie!!!!