Friday, January 11, 2013

Five for Friday- No Photos Edition

1. I've been thinking a lot about service this week. I get overwhelmed and completely humbled when I think about all the service I've been the recipient of in the last 14 or so months (since people were packing my house as I waddled around 9 months pregnant). I was feeling like I don't serve others enough and I was down about it. I don't take Sister Soandso cinnamon rolls and I don't watch Sister Othersoandso's kids once a week. You know how easy it can be to make the list of what you're not doing (dang adversary). I was talking to my friend (that had served me once again) and I mentioned to her I needed to be doing more because of all that has been and is being done for me. She gave me some perspective I'm grateful for. She asked me a few questions. 'Do you serve in your calling?' 'Yes.' 'Do you serve in the temple?' 'Yes.' 'Do you serve your family on a daily (hourly) basis?' 'Yes.' Then in a firm, friendly way she told me to focus on the good I am doing not the blasted cinnamon rolls. Great advice, no? One day (I hope sooner than later), I'll be pumping out cinnamon rolls and watching 10 kids a week. I jest. One day I hope to be the answer to other people's prayers like they are to mine.

2. We have a new neighbor cat that is just plain crazy. He (for some reason he became a he to me, I haven't checked) likes our yard more than his. We have curbed rock/flower beds around our whole house and we aren't completely fenced in either. This crazy cat walks laps around the curbing 10 times a day. It's the nuttiest thing. When I'm doing hair, I can see his orange and white stripes walking by through the window, five minutes later, there he is again. He never leaves the curbing. He's like a neighborhood lab cat. Practicing his path. If I start finding cat you-know-what around the yard, I'm going to booby trap the curbing. Any ideas?

3. Tomorrow is the Pinewood Derby. Dane's car is ready to go, hallelujah. We took it to the weigh in tonight and we were a *wee bit* off on the weight using our cruddy little food scale. We had holes drilled in the bottom just the right size to put pennies in to weigh it down. It needs to be 5 oz. We weighed it over and over here at home and it kept needing pennies. We were loading that car with pennies. Tonight at weigh in, it weighed 6.9 oz. Oops! We had to dig out 17 pennies to make the 5 oz weight limit. I always breathe a sigh of relief when we get to leave the car at the Cubmaster's house. Whew, it's out of our hands now.

4. I can't upload the video I took tonight, it's too big. But it involves a little one year old boy walking like Frankenstein to get a drink of Sprite. Yep, I bribed Owen with a drink of pop to take 10 steps. It's adorable. In one breath I want him to be a baby again so I can hold and snuggle him. In the very next breath, I love his learning and growth. It's exciting to watch his face light up when he's realized his latest trick (up and down the stairs for one. He climbs up then yells for us to see he's up there). He's so fun to be around. We all dote on his smiles and achievements, we clap for almost anything. He gives most slobbery kisses all over your face, is so happy most of the time (if only the church screeching would stop) and will always be one of my biggest tender mercies from the Lord.

5. My mom bought the kids a couple new sleds at Costco this week. Because of this, I predict no snow for the rest of the winter. If she hadn't bought the sleds, we would have had a ton of snow with nary a sled to be found. I suggested we keep the tags on them and return them next month when snow fall season is likely over. Nathan was aghast. He told me no way, we'd just keep them till next year. Here's hoping for at least one snowfall big enough for a sledding session. But only one.

1 comment:

Lucy said...

I get overwhelmed when I compare myself to others in almost every area but especially things like service because it doesn't seem like I can excuse my inferiority on talent or interest. Just plain self-centeredness. I know I don't live in the same town as you but you seem to do quite a bit with quite a lot on your plate. I hope you do recognize the service and calm you provide your family is every bit as noble and awe inspiring as cinnamon rolls. And less fattening!

Sometimes, I give Daniel an empty soda can just so he can entertain himself for a few minutes. You gotta do what you gotta do. Glad Owen is stepping!!!!