![]() |
| Shadrach, Meshach, Abed-nego and King Nebuchadnezzar |
We also read parts from one of my favorite conference talks, But If Not..... by Dennis Simmons. It's such a good talk and definitely worth your time to read. A few of my favorite quotes, emphasis added by the author (too lazy to take out all the footnotes, just extra links to click, ha)~
'Faith is not bravado, not just a wish, not just a hope. True faith is faith in the Lord Jesus Christ—confidence and trust in Jesus Christ that leads a person to follow Him. 1
Centuries ago, Daniel and his young associates were suddenly thrust from security into the world—a world foreign and intimidating. When Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego refused to bow down and worship a golden image set up by the king, a furious Nebuchadnezzar told them that if they would not worship as commanded, they would immediately be cast into a burning fiery furnace. “And who is that God that shall deliver you out of my hands?” 2
The three young men quickly and confidently responded, “If it be so [if you cast us into the furnace], our God whom we serve is able to deliver us from the burning fiery furnace, and he will deliver us out of thine hand.” That sounds like my eighth-grade kind of faith. But then they demonstrated that they fully understood what faith is. They continued, “But if not, … we will not serve thy gods, nor worship the golden image which thou hast set up.” 3 That is a statement of true faith.
They knew that they could trust God—even if things didn’t turn out the way they hoped. 4 They knew that faith is more than mental assent, more than an acknowledgment that God lives. Faith is total trust in Him.
Faith is believing that although we do not understand all things, He does. Faith is knowing that although our power is limited, His is not. Faith in Jesus Christ consists of complete reliance on Him.
Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego knew they could always rely on Him because they knew His plan, and they knew that He does not change. 5 They knew, as we know, that mortality is not an accident of nature. It is a brief segment of the great plan 6 of our loving Father in Heaven to make it possible for us, His sons and daughters, to achieve the same blessings He enjoys, if we are willing.'
'Men accomplish marvelous things by trusting in the Lord and keeping His commandments—by exercising faith even when they don’t know how the Lord is shaping them.'
'What does the Lord expect of us with respect to our challenges? He expects us to do all we can do. He does the rest. Nephi said, “For we know that it is by grace that we are saved, after all we can do.” 19
We must have the same faith as Shadrach, Meshach, and Abed-nego.
Our God will deliver us from ridicule and persecution, but if not. … Our God will deliver us from sickness and disease, but if not … . He will deliver us from loneliness, depression, or fear, but if not. … Our God will deliver us from threats, accusations, and insecurity, but if not. … He will deliver us from death or impairment of loved ones, but if not, … we will trust in the Lord.
Our God will see that we receive justice and fairness, but if not. … He will make sure that we are loved and recognized, but if not. … We will receive a perfect companion and righteous and obedient children, but if not, … we will have faith in the Lord Jesus Christ, knowing that if we do all we can do, we will, in His time and in His way, be delivered and receive all that He has. 20'
I believe this is such an important lesson in our own conversions. Read the talk and share your thoughts with me. I'd love to hear them.
-- Today was pajama day at school for Nathan and Dane. More than once, and to each boy more than once, I got after them for not getting dressed in a timely manner. 'It's pajama day mom.... for the FIFTH time'. Yeah, it really took that many times. This is soooo against Nathan's nature. He doesn't like wearing sweats to school or the store even. Once he came home he went right upstairs and put jeans on. Funny kid.
-- I went to the dentist today (don't worry, no mouth pictures) and had a couple fillings. Having babies is hard on my teeth and I haven't been the greatest at getting in this last year. I don't know what's wrong with me in my middle age, but I could do without visiting that nice, rich guy and his loud drill. I never had dental anxiety as a kid, I liked going even. And now with TV's in the ceiling, what's the problem? Who knows, but I've got one. Not looking forward to the next appointment I avoided making. I have to recover from this one first!



3 comments:
Hey, I have dental anxiety now, too, but surely didn't as a little girl. Maybe it's because he had all those fake rings sitting in velvet in a box for when we were done. All I know is I hate the dentist now.
I love that talk. There are several talks I go back and read through the years and that is one of them. Just remembering "But if not . . ." helps me through. It's such a humbling little phrase that brings comfort.
I like your action figures for the men.
I like your action figures too.
I went to the dentist two days ago, and they accidentally cut my tongue pretty bad. Not happy about it b/c it really hurts as it hits my teeth all day.
Love that talk. Trying to have faith like that.
Good FHE lesson and good job being creative with action figures. haha! Preston and Lindsey are THE worst at FHE. It's annoying. I feel like they don't get anything out of it most of the time. Except when we play don't eat pete.
I hate baths. I hate the thought of sitting in my own dirty filthy water so I never liked them. The kids on the other hand love them. So they get them a lot, except Preston likes showers. I prefer showers b/c they are faster.
And that picture of you and your Dad is funny. I love throw back old pictures. Brings back lots of memories. He looks so young in them! I'm glad he went with you though.
Post a Comment