Saturday, January 26, 2013

Daddy Daughter

 I remember the one Daddy Daughter activity I attended with my dad. I was in the 6th grade and was 11.5. It was a Valentine's Day activity. Because this was the only Daddy Daughter thing we ever did together, you'd think I would remember more details. I guess that's what happens in 26 years or so, your memory fades. I do remember we decorated sugar cookies and there was at least one dance with him. I also remember being silly the whole time we were together. You can probably tell that by my wide open mouth. I know this isn't close up but I'm glad you can tell I'm happy and having a good time with my dad. With limited memories at that age, I'm grateful to have ones that are good. I believe I'm wearing my mom's pearl necklace and earrings, her shoes and my very own puffy sleeved dress. No doubts this is 1987, that's a velour shirt my dad's wearing too.

 Look how young my dad is here, wow! Eating the sugar cookie I made him, what a good sport. I love my dad for all his good qualities and he has many of them. He just checked on me a few days ago while he was out working. He loves to talk weather so winter is a good time for him to chat, the weather's always changing. The one thing I love most about my dad is he would give you the shirt off his back. I know that's possibly a trite, over used phrase but with him, it's absolutely true. He's never made much money but he's always willing to share what he has, especially if it means feeding you. He cooks the best steaks and ribs around, better than any restaurant. We all love eating his grilled food. When Milo lost his job four years ago, he was right there helping us. It was humbling to me then and now. He never sticks around long ('gotta get on the road, gotta get on the road...') which can be very frustrating. But before he's left he's brought you donuts for breakfast or ice cream for later or some other food item (hello sub sandwiches for 50 at Milo's college graduation!). Last October when he was here he called Sunday morning and wanted to stop by and say goodbye on his way out of town. I knew he'd be bringing food of some sort. He brought two big bags of McDonald's breakfast food. I told the kids to eat nicely and to not mention we don't eat out on Sundays. I told them Papa was being kind and generous and we could receive it in the same way. It was Fast Sunday even which sort of cracks me up. Most well behaved the kids have ever been on a Fast Sunday, ha.

 I never posted about getting together with my dad last October. He was in town for a benefit dinner for his wife's grandson (follow that?). Matthew is 10 and has an inoperable brain tumor. We had a good time at the spaghetti feed for him. His dad is a firefighter and those firefighters/cops/paramedics like to stick together and help their own. It was humbling to see all the support they received. They gave everyone a gray bracelet like the one Dane is wearing. It says~ no one fights alone. It seemed perfect for all the support surrounding them. We had a good time visiting my dad and eating spaghetti. He only stressed a few times when Reed was running/yelling/chasing other kids around the dance floor and nearly crashing over the drum set, haha. Even though they don't know him very well the kids love their Papa. He is a kind (albeit not that connected or close) dad/grandpa. (The picture of him and I together didn't turn out)


 A few weeks ago Milo and Kat went to a Daddy Daughter dinner for young women's. It was semi-formal so the girls really got into finding fancy dresses. And of course, I couldn't resist giving her fancy hair. This girl is a tiny one so it was a challenge to find her a 'prom' dress. She borrowed this from a friend and it's a size 7/8. She's a size 0 if we're shopping in that section (I still try the little girls side first but she's wearing thin on it). No lie this dress is safety pinned to fit her with at least 25 pins up the back and around the shoulders. It was sleeveless so her sweater is pinned on too. When she first tried it on I thought there is no way we could make it work but I said a little prayer we'd find a way because when I suggested a normal Sunday dress her face fell. After it was all said and done, it fit her quite nicely if I do say so myself, even with the bunchy shoulders. I warned her not to get too crazy dancing and listen for popping safety pins.

 The entire gym was covered with decorations, nothing like the rainbow and balloons from 1987. Lights all over a false ceiling even! They set up this cute little backdrop and a professional photographer was there too (our ward has this perfected at most events). Private tables were set up for each dad and daughter with question prompts to keep the conversation flowing and the girls laughing. They were served a 5 course meal and Tiffany blue cupcakes. They danced and danced. I went to the church to pick up the boys from scouts and I peeked into the gym. Watching all the dads dance with their daughters made me a little teary eyed. Was it that long ago I was her age? Time moves so quickly. I left right away, I didn't want to get too emotional. Kat was sad to see the night end so soon, she wanted more dancing. What a darling young woman. I'm so glad she had a good time with Milo, I know she loves her dad too.

6 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

OH. MY. GOODNESS. I just loved this. I loved that you see so much good in your dad and accept his efforts today. I love seeing him young and you young.

I can just hear you telling Kat to listen for popping safety pins and not to dance too wildly. Amazing how the Lord can answer a prayer with safety pins.

What a grand post.

Jill said...

Wow, I don't know that I've ever seen anything about your dad before! I find it very sweet that he is always bringing food, that's just thoughtful. His love language must be gifts!

My dad never took me to a daddy/daughter activity! In 3rd grade my school had a Western themed daddy/daughter night but he didn't want to go (he hates dancing) so he took me to the movies instead. We saw Fiddler on the Roof.

donna said...

Miss

donna said...

Miss Kat looks so cute....

Marion said...

So cute! I remember my Daddy Daughter Dinner's very well. It's a special one on one time that you cherish for years to come. Kat looks so cute. She is such a beautiful girl, inside and out!

Kristin said...

How sweet