Saturday, April 20, 2013

On This Day

 April 20th. April 20, 2000 to be exact. It's a day I've blogged about for the past six years, my wedding day. I decided a few weeks ago, I'd blog about it this year too. Today is/was my 13th wedding anniversary. How exactly do I describe this day? I also decided I wasn't going to mope around and feel sad even if it would've been the easiest route to take (trust me it would have been quite easy). I knew I'd need to stay busy and I knew I'd need to stay away from my wedding pictures. One reason I didn't link all the past years in this post, pictures still get me down. I feel so much loss when I look at them and I mourn and cry. No good, not today. Today was about celebrating my family. Celebrating the day my family started 13 years ago. It was a day I wanted to be all about my family.

 I planned to hike Badger Mountain this morning a few weeks ago too. I wanted to exert myself and I wanted to feel strong. It's not that big of a hike but I wanted to conquer something. Nathan was at a camp out and we uninvited Owen for the hike (he napped at my mom's) so we were down a couple kids as we hiked up the mountain. I invited my friend and four of her kids came along too. Three of those kids match up to the three I had with me so it was perfect. We hiked up in record time and had perfect weather. I never felt sad and no tears. First success of the day.

 My dad called this morning, he was in town and wanted to take us to lunch. I planned on taking the kids out to eat anyway so this was a great surprise. We finished our hike, ran back home to change clothes, grabbed Owen at my mom's and met my dad already seated at Red Robin. The kids were hungry and tired from hiking so we had great behavior and really good eating. Bonus! Papa ordered onion rings and chicken wings (their request) on top of their lunches so they were stuffed when we left. Owen squealed a few times for good measure so we knew when it was time to leave. It was fun to visit and we had a couple laughs at our own expense too. My dad likes to laugh and so do I. Second success of the day.

We came home from Red Robin and did a few chores. I sat on my neighbor's porch and chatted with her for awhile. The kids played inside and outside for a bit. A friend came over to plant a couple tomato plants they had left over and ended up pulling weeds and sprucing up my yard. A couple times I thought I'd rather be sitting inside but reminded myself that if I were, I'd probably be sad. So I pushed on, pulled more weeds (dang overgrown grass, it's hard to pull) and enjoyed talking with some great friends. Pulling weeds with friends was a tender mercy today, who would've thought? After they left it was time to go get Nathan and have the whole family together for our family day.

The kids were winding down, tired and a bit grouchy. I was winding down, tired and a bit more grouchy. After hearing about the hike and Red Robin, Nathan was feeling a little left out. So close to the little boys bedtime, I loaded them up without jackets (really dumb) and we went for an ice cream treat at the park. Don't let this picture fool you. Everyone was crying/whining because it was so cold outside and no one wanted to take this picture except me. The blizzards were scarfed down, they willingly jumped back in the van after 10 minutes and I put the heater on full blast to help warm up Reed's 'freezing piggies'. Even with the cold and the tears, third success of the day.

I challenged them to sing songs with the word family in it on the short drive home. They started with When We're Helping We're Happy. Next Dane suggested we sing the Barney song, I Love You, You Love Me. That produced a few groans (Nathan and Kathryn) but we sang it anyway. When we were close to home, they started singing Families Can Be Together Forever. I sang the first verse with them and when we were almost finished with the second verse, I couldn't hold it in any longer. The feelings and emotions from today spilled out my eyes and I cried the last stretch home. I love that Milo and I were married in the Seattle temple on this day 13 years ago (someday I'll be able to look at the pictures again). I'm grateful that even though my marriage is ending, the kids and I will not have that eternal sealing taken from us. We are a forever family. It comforts me to know I can have my favorite people with me for eternity. I have faults and shortcomings and much work here to do on the earth but the promise of being with them forever will urge me forward. I am so grateful for that promise of forever.

Kids,
What a great day we had together. Happy Anniversary to our family- we make a wonderful team. I love each one of you always and forever.
Love, Mom.

16 comments:

Granny DeeAnn said...

I want to be the first to post because I love you so much. You amaze me with how strong you are. How blessed those 5 little persons who live with you are. You are doing hard things but somehow every time I see you you have a smile. I totally understand why you have so much love and amazing support from those who know you. You can conquer. Thanks for the example you set for all of us. <3

Kristin said...

Way to go Melanie!

donna said...

Mel~ You're a rock star...

Angie said...

I love you.

camery said...

wow. what an amazing lady you are. what a wonderful way to spend this day and what beautiful perspective.

you ARE doing hard things.

Liz Brown said...

I just want to give you a hug! You are one strong woman and a great example and mom to your kids

Liz Brown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Lucy said...

You are really cool. You do hard things with beauty and perspective and patience and hope and I pray that your brave and loving attitude is rewarded with loving comfort and peace. Happy Anniversary of your beautiful family.

Jill said...

I love it that it will now be the anniversary of your family! You're a great mom, your kids are blessed to have you!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Ditto. Ditto. Ditto. Amen.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I'm going to remember the idea of celebrating the birth of a family on anniversaries no matter what the situation.

Holly said...

Wow Mel! You amaze me! Seriously amaze me! How lucky those 5 kids are to have you. Smiling through the hard days is what it's all about, and you've got it down! Love you to pieces! :0)

Chandra said...

Wow. YOu'll never know how much I admire your strength, your courage, but mostly your grace. You are AWESOME. You are such a terrific mom. Those kids are so blessed that you are their mom. What a great idea....celebrate the anniversary of your family. You seriously need to be a speaker at Time Out for Women or Education week or something. So many of us learn from you. You are amazing. Yep.....it's official.....YOU ROCK!

Laurie said...

Wow. You are awesome. Most excellent. That your mom says you are always smiling when she sees you shows what kind of person you really are b/c we usually let down in front of our parents, but you still have a smile on....BRAVO. Congratulations on your 13 years of an amazing family.

Melinda said...

Melanie, you continually amaze me. I am going to share this with my mom. I think it is exactly what she needs and will be so perfect for her.

Thank you for your faith, love, example and amazing attitude in such a crummy situation. Seriously, I am so impressed by your wisdom and insight on this. Thank you for sharing your unbelievably hard trial and thank you so much for your love and support my way. I eat up your comments and am so thankful you are willing share.

Amie said...

You're amazing! (and I love the anniversary date of your family). I agree with all of your other comments....

I've been wanting to comment sooner but I wanted to think about my comment... somehow say what I feel... say something worthwhile. My thoughts still feel a bit jumbled but I want you to know I think about you and your sweet kids and how lucky they are to have you. I am amazed by your strength and perspective and honesty. I think it is a blessing to those of us who read that you write and share your experiences. I know it teaches me and softens my heart to hear about your thoughts and tender mercies and how you carry on. I'm so sorry you have to go through this... it makes me sad and mad and maybe a little nosy... how does this happen and why?! I feel like good families should be immune (I also think children should be immune from diseases, but you know, no one asks me). I think Melinda said it best when she said "Satan is real" but so is faith and hope and the atonement and I am strengthened by watching your resilience. I am grateful to have met you through blogging and I look forward to watching your family continue to grow and be blessed by such a strong mom!