Sunday, June 30, 2013

Closing Out June

I can't believe this month is over. June is gone. Wow, it went fast. I haven't taken the time to blog for a couple different reasons.

One- it's been a summer of adjustments with a busy, full blown toddler and four other kids to manage. It feels like the first summer with five kids. Maybe better worded, the first busy summer with five kids. Last year Owen napped all the time, didn't walk or crawl. He was an angelic baby. We we were in charge of where he went. Not this year. Now he's one of the mess making kids and he shows it around every corner. He requests movies all. day. long. and loves to play outside. We also find books off the bookshelf and food thrown on the floor. He sneaks snacks before dinner and spills water in the living room. You get the idea...this house is moving all the time.

Two- my mind is often occupied with my soon to be 'status'. I mull around thoughts and feelings to post about my divorce and then I stop myself for multiple reasons. A couple- it's still hard for me to believe I'm going to be divorced and harder still to accept a divorce I did not want. I remind myself all the time that this life isn't about what we 'want'. No one wants to bury a baby or a young parent, lose a job, become disabled, suffer with cancer, deal with infertility, etc. Buck up I tell myself! I also tell myself if it wasn't this- it would be something else. We're all fighting a hard battle. That's mortality, right? Who am I to think I could pick and choose my trials?? Divorce is not what I would have ever chosen but where I go from here is my choice. Thankfully, I know our trials can become blessings and somehow, someday I intend for my divorce to be one of mine. 

Here's a little rundown as we close out June.

I spent a day at Cub Scout Day Camp with Dane. It wasn't too hot or cold or windy....just too long. It's about a seven hour day and once I get to about hour five, I'm ready to hit the dusty trail. We shot bb guns, made bottle rockets and had a good day together. I did have the thought that once Owen is going to day camp, I'll be an o.l.d. lady. I might need to find a substitute!

Kathryn and I went to the temple and performed baptisms for the dead together. It was a perfect Friday evening. It had been over 21 years at least since I've done them, much too long. Watching her in the temple she seemed so grown up. I felt the sense that these next few years are going to go by in a blink. I'm glad we can make memories like this together, it was a special first for this mom/daughter. She can't wait to go back and I can't wait to go with her.

We went to the third (and final) Histio Heroes walk/bike a thon for Jackson. Cool shirts and glasses this year, the kids loved them. It was a hot day and after one lap around the track Reed told me he was finished walking for the day. He ran the bleachers though so he wasn't a total slug. We love Jackson SO much.  I've learned many lessons about being happy 'no matter what' from him. Plus he's funny. He's also a rock star in my book.

Owen really did have a good day, he just didn't want to sit still for a picture.
The big kids walked/ran their hearts out. Nathan ended with 9 miles, Kat with 7 miles and Dane with 5 miles. Nathan was at the top of his age group and tried really hard to win 1st/2nd place ($50/$25). Kat told me she wasn't feeling very competitive (once she realized she was in the older age group 12-16). She even stopped on her own accord to help with Owen when I needed to go get a diaper from the car. We were a little late for registration and then they had to walk to the track so they started about 15 minutes later than every one else. Nathan came in 3rd (mother fail for being late, he would have won) and without even trying, Kat came in 2nd. Turns out not many kids were out there in her age group and as a runner, she had a big advantage. We left the run and met up with our friends at the pool for 5 hours. I haven't exhausted them like that in a while, they were beat when we got home. It was a long 12+ hour day. We had fun together and with all the swimming, no one was even sore from all that running. That's a mothering win!

 The kids worked hard picking cherries again this year. It's the third year they've picked and sold them and by far their most successful. I took them out a day to pick and those cherries (about 60 lbs)  were sold in about an hour. They wanted to sell more (they were seeing $$ signs at this point) so my mom took them out another day to pick. They sold those fairly fast as well. I'm proud of them for wanting to work and earn money. I'm grateful my aunt and uncle let them pick from their orchard to learn some life lessons. They paid their tithing, spent some money and saved even more. Good lessons to learn kids.

One day our little neighbor girl was over playing with Reed. They were running around the back yard and having a good time. I was doing laundry and checked on them occasionally. Next thing I know, Reed was running in the house screaming bloody murder. He was shaking and in the most frightened, hurried voice he said, 'it was a really bad wasp that went zooming into my face'. Sobbing while he said it, he used his had to reenact the 'zooming wasp'. It was the cutest, saddest story. It stung him right on the lip. I told him I wanted to take a picture and he stopped mid sentence and asked, 'should I make a sad face?' To which I replied, Of course! 
 This week I've been on Florence Nightingale duty. Both Nathan and Kathryn had their tonsils out last Wednesday and while they have been good little patients, it's been exhausting. Meds, extra snuggles, water, soft foods, naps, meds in the middle of the night, cold rags, hot packs, ice cream, stinky breath, movies galore, some tears, etc. The list is looooong. I've had to take a nap every day since Wed and not out of luxury- it's been a necessity! I have a long list of must haves if a tonsil surgery is in your future. I'm hoping there aren't anymore in mine. Contact me- I'm a pro at this point. Both Dane and Reed have concerns about ever needing theirs out after watching the two big kids recover this week. I decided I have the same concerns, ha. It seems both kids turned a corner this afternoon and I'm praying it's upward from here.

We have a few fun things planned for July once recovery is behind us and we are looking forward to each one.

4 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I'm so glad you recapped June for us. You have such a great history going for your kids.

I loved your third paragraph, second reason you were behind on blogging. My goodness. That was so full of faith, optimism, and hope. You are an inspiration.

So glad the kids have turned a corner.

Granny DeeAnn said...

Busy June. Glad you could support Dane, Jackson, Kat and Nate. Oh and squeeze in one busy toddler and Reed. Everyone deserves a fun July.

donna said...

Where did June go?? I can't believe that it's july...
Sounds like you june was very busy, and also lots of fun... Cub Day camp, and Baptism for the dead... What great experience for you and Kathryn to share together... : )
Oh and I hope you know that I think you'er one amazing Mom and We are all here if you ever need anything..
And you need to bring your kids over to swim......

Holly said...

Aunt DeAnn is right! You deserve a FUN July! Keep on recovering kids, and good luck Mel. We're praying the worst is behind you. Love you so much! :0)