Saturday, July 06, 2013

My Top Five


































We had a great 4th of July. Quite busy and eventful. Two noteworthy events- a rogue firework that flew sideways and blew up under my van (darn it, no damage. I was hopeful) and another rogue firework that flew right above/into Owen. The spray of sparks did singe his hair but he was so stunned he didn't make a peep. After that though, he did cuddle on my lap until we went home from our friend's house (he was a busy guy until that happened). We also attended our ward breakfast, the kids spent the afternoon with Milo, we went swimming/wading in the river and walked around a museum dedicated to Sacajawea and Lewis & Clark. Whew, we all slept well that night.

Tonight when I put Reed to bed he prayed for a sick, tiny baby in our ward and he used the word 'trials'. After the prayer he asked, 'what exactly does it means to have trials?' I could see him feel what the word meant as I laid there telling him what trials are and why we have them in our lives. He is a five and a half year old with a big heart. With tears in his eyes, he put his arms around my neck and told me he loved Jesus for helping us through our trials and giving us power. (Side note- he read Moroni 7:33 in primary for a scripture last Sunday and all week has talked about the power we get from Jesus) Oh, what would I do with out these kids?

I always have to beg them to take a picture like this and lately, it's rarely with something other than my phone. This is our best attempt at a self portrait with all six of us, not half bad don't you think? I love to look at pictures of me with my 'chicks'. Pictures help remind me that I have five very important reasons to get through the hard moments in a day, the hard days in a week and the hard weeks in a month. From experienced soldiers I'm told time heals much of what I'm feeling right now (it would take another post to spell it all out). Time, time and more time. Because I can't speed up the clock, I'll take as many photos together as they'll let me. I'm incredibly grateful my top five are with me no. matter. what. I love them.

9 comments:

Jill said...

That's a darling picture of you all. You are a strong, capable, wonderful mother, those kids are so lucky to have you!!!

Angie said...

I love this picture! Although you could have added a carton of ice cream down at the bottom and it could have been "top 6 ways to get through each day) haha.

Love ya Mel. and so glad we got to spend some quality time together. i miss ya.

donna said...

sounds like you did have a eventful 4th... How scary about the rogue fireworks, so glad no one got hurt..or your Van got damage....
very cute pic....

Laurie said...

I'm inspired by your courage. You are faith in action. Keep on keeping on! Laurie

Laurie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Angie's comment made me laugh. I love your five reasons, too. I also agree with Jill.

Chandra said...

I love that Reed. He is such an awesome kid. How tender that he felt such love for the Savior's help during trials. He is one smart kid. Sounds like you had a nice 4th of July.

Chandra said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...

Love that picture. I agree 5 important and great and cute reasons.