Sunday, August 04, 2013

Enjoy It They Said

 Last Wednesday morning I sent Kathryn to Girl's Camp. Also last Wednesday, Milo picked all four boys up around noon and took them to his family reunion at Ensign Ranch. They would not be back until Saturday afternoon. I knew all the kids would be safe where they were going and would even enjoy their time away but it was still hard to let them go. I like my chicks in the nest.

I can't tell you how many times I heard, 'enjoy it!', 'recharge!', 'sleep!' Sometimes that was advice from a veteran mother in my shoes, other times it was a cry of jealousy from someone craving alone time. Kid free. No agenda. Quiet house. Me time. All things a mother might long for until they are put on her plate without asking. I was sad when everyone left, especially sending Owen overnight for the first time. I knew he would be ok. He loves being with his dad and his brothers but I have not been without that little boy overnight since he was born. It was hard to send him. 

Tuesday night as we were getting a few things ready for their trips, I made a mad dash to a library across town to pick up a book I wanted to read (I barely read it). I didn't make any concrete plans before the kids left. I had been warned by veterans that I should not leave my days wide open because sadness can creep in rather quickly. Other than a couple of appointments shortly after the boys left, I planned nothing in advance. A good friend called on Tuesday and wanted her hair cut before her family vacation. It was a definite tender mercy because knew I could only be sad for a little while after they left and then I had to cut hair. She followed a prompting on that one for sure. After they left, I went to Costco, came home for dinner, read my book and ended my night at the temple. It ended up to be a great first day.

Thursday I went shopping and to lunch with my mom.We went to Hobby Lobby where I bought this canvas for a little diy project I had seen online (surprisingly, not Pinterest). It was high on the scale of easy and I really like how it turned out. Still deciding what I'll finish off this wall with on the sides of the canvas. Ideas?

I have also been working on updating my TV/entertainment center. It has looked like this for over two years and I've hated the chaotic look of it all. So shameful. I always felt the ones I liked were too expensive so it became the never ending project and constant eye sore. Enter Craigslist a few months ago.

when it's finished I'll use my camera, not my phone
 I found this dresser and ended up buying it for $80, knowing it would work much better than the set up above. Plus it was much more in my price range. I knew I'd need to add in the cost of knobs and paint but that still wasn't even close to the other ones. My mom and I found knobs on Thursday as well (they only had five so we added a yellow owl to up the eclectic factor). I used a power drill for the first time too (after the neighbor showed me how to use it, ha). I'm really happy with it though it is still a work in progress. I want a bright runner across the top and something cool to hang above/behind the TV. Again- any ideas?

Thursday night I met my sister in law for dinner and a movie. We ended up back at her house talking/hanging out and stayed up all. night. long. Seriously, do I think I'm 21 or something??! We ended up going to sleep at 7am. We slept for a few hours and after I was awake enough for the drive, I headed home. I loved spending time with her, she is a great example to me. We talked (a lot), we laughed, we cried and we supported one another. Great second day...and start of the third, ha.


 It helped Milo sent me a few texts while they were at the reunion. I was grateful to see them having fun. And I talked to the boys on the phone a couple times as well.

 I couldn't stay sad knowing my baby had a smile on his face and was playing with cousins.

 Cheesy faced boys.

 Nathan is finally old enough and heavy enough to ride a horse on the hour long trail ride. It's been a dream of his for years! 

I was fine until Saturday morning and then I was anxious for all of them to get home. A big thank you to Milo for bringing them home a little earlier than was first planned. They needed time to shower and decompress before going straight to bed. All four of them were soooo tired. It was a perfect amount of time to work into the longer stays in the future. I was grateful to have them home safe and sound. Answered prayers.

No pictures of Kat from Girl's Camp but she had a grand time. She was still in tired zombie mode today, her eyes were about half mast every time I looked at her. I'm hoping I'll get the full report tomorrow after a second night of good sleep. She was still quiet after church and had no problems with an early bedtime.

I'm glad Kathryn was able to experience her first year at camp (I loved camp as a YW). I'm glad the boys had fun with their dad and cousins and enjoyed Ensign Ranch (I loved seeing my cousins growing up and I used to love the reunion at Ensign Ranch too). Maybe the veterans do know what they're talking about when they say it becomes a time to regroup and recharge because I did end up enjoying my time as well. Maybe next time I'll even make plans.

1 comment:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

This post is heartening. I'm so glad it turned out positive for everyone. So glad.

(Let us know if the book is good.)

By the way, I love the canvas over the couch. I love the knobs, too. I think the owl is a great sixth knob.