Chips-
A newer family in our ward that farms brought us a bag of red, white and purple potatoes last Sunday (truly, people are soooo good to us and I'm grateful they are). I was a little intimidated by the purple spud and since the kids were gone, I didn't do anything with them. We sat by them this Sunday and I thanked them again for the potatoes and then confessed the purple ones scared me. The dad told me they like to slice them thin and make potato chips and then it doesn't look like you're eating a rotten veggie. A nice idea I would have never thought of on my own.
We borrowed my mom's fryer and instead of popcorn, we made purple potato chips for our evening snack. The kids loved them and ate them as fast as I made them, even Owen. Well not Reed, he has an aversion to colored food. I sliced them thin, fried them crisp and sprinkled a little sea salt on them. They were really good.
The big kids thought it was pretty cool to have homemade chips. Owen walked around snitching chips out of each of their bowls. He might have been the biggest fan though Dane looks pretty happy here with his bowl full.
Jury Duty-
I was summoned for jury duty today. I have been called every year since moving here but have yet to serve (pregnancy, nursing newborn, etc). I left the house bright and early for me (7:30) and waited in the 'holding room'. Oh my goodness, were it not for my 5 kids at home I could have people watched all day long. The bailiffs were funny and personable. The first judge was very informative about the process. The second judge had a solid presence and I knew I'd learn a thing or two from him. I did ask to be excused because of my kids (only three of us asked and left) but I know in this county, I'll get the chance to serve again. They rarely grant deferments and call you every year (or so it seems for me).
There were so many awkward moments in the courtroom. Since you have to be quiet the awkwardness just hangs there for a few minutes. So fascinating how different we are. A few funny people watching stories-
:: While still in the holding room, two very bubbly LDS girls were talking about shorts at BYU and no shorts/capris at BYUI. The guy next to them could. not. sit. still. Their giggling voices and spastic hands were clearly out of his comfort zone. He was a big man in a baby blue polo with slicked back gray hair in front that was pulled into a braid down past his shoulders. They talked nonstop until the bailiff entered the room. He wasn't sad that his name was among the first ones called.
:: Once in the courtroom things progressed rather quickly. The trial would be about two days and the defendant was being charged with possession of methamphetamine. They asked who had any sort of ties to a charge like this with a family member or friend. Quite a few people raised their hands and explained their circumstances. The last guy was the best though. He said he personally had been charged with possession of marijuana and he didn't agree with this guys charge because....he believes all drugs should be legal. All 36 of us prospective jurors, the attorneys, the judge, the court reporter, the bailiff- we all just looked at him and inwardly laughed. This was his way of getting 'out' of jury duty. It was funny. Don't worry, he was excused because he could not set aside his personal feelings and follow the law. Good thing he's not in charge, yikes!
:: When the judge asked if anyone had ties to the legal system a man (that ate Burger King loudly in the holding room and had messy, unkempt hair) stood and rattled off his 'ties'. His list was impressive too. He was lead prosecutor for 25 years in so and so county, served in the military as an attorney, served on such and such legal board for 10 years, also served here and there (his professional experience was extensive). The judge asked him if he could serve as an unbiased juror. Three times he asked that question and not until the third time could he answer it. Each time he would offer more reasons- he has a 'prosecutor's heart', he leans towards law enforcement, etc. It was clear he was telling the truth, he answered the judge in a round about way. What I really wanted to do was say to him, and it appeared the judge did as well- This is a yes or no question- ready, set, go....
Books-
Tonight for FHE, we went and claimed some free books at Barnes and Noble. The mall, at 7pm, with five kids and my mom = craziness. It was worth it though. B&N has a great summer reading program. All the kids had to do is read eight books and then they can choose a free one off a certain list. The books read don't matter so the big kids could count the books they read to the little ones (while they are counting the very same book). How great! Plus they can do it as many times as they want. The boys declared themselves done because no more books interested them but Kat is planning on a few more free ones. I love that she loves books. The four big kids were good but Owen was another story, even in his stroller. He could spot every book that had a movie he liked on it (Cars, Nemo, Wreck it Ralph, Toy Story, Monsters, etc) and then- he screamed for it. We definitely got 'the look' more than once. We picked up our free books, Grandmas bought Owen an Elmo book and then we got out of there quick. Grandma spoiled all of them with ice cream and once we were home all they wanted to do was read. Perfect ending to a busy day.
3 comments:
I don't think i ever had purple potato chips. But now i want to make some.. I may be buying some purple potato very soon....
I have been summoned for jury duty three times since i lived in the Tri-cities . Been on one jury, last summer... I actually kind of liked it.. : ) I enjoyed see how our legal systems worked .
Purple potatoes are hard for me to cook with, too. I'll make chips next time. We make them all the time with whites I wonder why I didn't think of purples.
I loved your jury duty stories. You see people in a whole new light in that situation -- different than on an airplane or a mall or a beach. I think it funny/pathetic the former lawyer couldn't give a straight answer.
Ahhhhh, books. What a deal.
What a day!
Can't believe you've been called to jury duty every year.
Post a Comment