Sunday, August 11, 2013

Summer Slump to Summer Fun


Sure signs we've reached a summer slump at our house. 1- One child wore the pajamas he slept in the night before all the next day, two different times last week. 2- One child took exactly one shower all week long (this escaped me until it had been six full days!). 3- We all sleep until almost 8am (school is going to kill us). 4- there was a 4 but it's gone now. Which actually leads to 5- I can't remember anything.

Yesterday I was feeling the weight of not doing anything 'fun' for the past few weeks. Fun as in a 'getaway' or vacation. I had dreams all summer of going to the coast and digging in the beach sand. For a multitude of reasons, it just didn't happen. On Friday, I decided we'd find a hike 'in the trees'. We'd have to do a little bit of traveling to find trees but I figured we could swing a day trip. We packed a lunch, got a late start and started driving towards the trees. It is not in my nature to get out and go exploring alone with the kids. I'm a home body. Big time. Home is my comfort zone. I know I can't raise five kids in my zone so bit by bit I take a leap outside what feels good to me. Once I take the leap, I realize I like getting out too. Duh. I'm grateful the kids are patient with me as I learn more about myself and what I can accomplish when I set my mind to it.

We stopped about an hour away from our destination to eat our picnic lunch. Kat helped me get everything to eat packed- bread, jam, peanut butter, granola bars, chips, drinks, etc. I had set a knife out but didn't check that it was in the bag when we left. We sat down to make sandwiches with no knife. Desperate times call for desperate measures. I found the cleanest 'card' I had which just happened to be Dane's swim pass and started spreading peanut butter. Worked quite well to make those pb&j's if I do say so myself. We were cracking up and thanked Dane a few times for 'making' our lunch. We hit the bathrooms and loaded up for the last part of our drive.

I am terrible with directions. I'm even terrible with directions on my phone. It's possible, trust me. East. West. 1000 ft ahead. Keep right 39 ft ahead (that was a real step and a really confusing one too).  Ahhh, anxiety at it's finest when my van is full of wiry kids and I don't know where I'm going. I passed the little parking spot at the trail head which is really no surprise. Thankfully the kids help out when I tell them to keep their eye pealed.... 'Mom, right there!'


 This was Owen's first experience in a backpack and I wasn't too sure how that was going to go. My plan to have him nap on the way there completely backfired. He never fell asleep. Possibly from Reed's talking/noise making the. entire. drive.? When I tried putting him in the backpack the first time he was in crying hysterics and I broke into my first sweat. We were even getting looks from people in the parking lot. So yes his binki and McQueen are in every picture but, they were essentials!

 It was in the 90's but with the shade and trees it wasn't bad at all. Isn't it gorgeous?! This is with my phone, no editing at all. I'd like to live here, room with a view please.

 We had to cross an old pipeline bridge at the start of the hike. Nathan was a little nervous, he is not a fan of heights. The others I begged to stay away from the edge. It was a little scary to me too, that water was moving fast.

 But just so pretty I loved it.

The hike was far enough in from the side of the mountain that as we climbed up, the cliff to the water wasn't visible. I felt safe with all of them walking a short ways ahead of me so I didn't have to yell and freak out they were too close to the edge. Thank heavens for that small miracle.

 Almost halfway into our hike Owen lost it and had to get out of the backpack. He just about jumped off my back. He was content walking next to me holding my hand and it was just the cutest thing. He stumbled a few times and after 5-10 minutes of walking he willingly rode on my back again.

 This was on the other side of the water/road where we parked. Once were were on the hike we didn't have great viewpoints of the water/other mountains because we were just too far in but it was a perfect hike for us. Nothing too steep or scary.

 Heading back down. Dane kept making jokes about his 'murse' (man purse). The boys took turns carrying it for me. I actually packed my nice camera for great pictures along the way. Hahahaha. What was I thinking?? After Owen's fit in the parking lot I knew I'd be just fine with anything from my phone (yep!).

Some nice people took our picture on the way down just before we made it back to the bridge. It was hot and we were sweaty but we had so much fun. Before we made it halfway they wanted to find another hike but once we were done they just wanted to find ice cream. I love when reality hits them too.

In the end we drove 300 miles round trip for a funny picnic lunch, a 50 minute hike and some McDonald's ice cream. We saw two animals we aren't used to seeing, one dead (a great big red fox) and one alive (a chipmunk eating in a tree). We sang songs hiking and came home exhausted. We had a great time as a family on our 'day' getaway and I loved every bit of it.

3 comments:

donna said...

looks like a beautiful and fun summer day hike..
Love all the pictures...

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I'm just so proud of you and all the doing you do to raise 5 kids the best way possible. I learn a lot from you.

My comfort zone would be to stay home and work, too. Good. for. you.

Granny DeeAnn said...

Nothing like the beautiful outdoors to lift spirits. Glad you had a fun day with school just around the corner.