Monday, September 16, 2013

A Day in the Life (x's Five)

Wednesday~

I turned 38. There are so many things on my 'grateful list' from this past year. For starters, I kept thinking about how much stronger I was on my birthday this year as opposed to last year. It was a really good feeling. I'm also especially grateful to be a mother to my five wonderful kids. A teenager coming up soon and a two year old. With or without knowing it- Owen is going to keep me young!

We made Despicable Me cupcakes together.

The kids picked out and bought a few things for me. They love to take money to the store and shop like grown ups. It's pretty adorable. And I loved what they gave me.

Thursday~

We welcomed a cooler morning and ate breakfast outside. He would eat a bite or two, run a couple laps and come back for more fuel. He is a busy boy right now.

He got 'tuck' a few times as well.


 Kat had her first cross country meet. She ran her little heart out in 93 degree heat/humidity. It was a hard course with a big hill. I would have developed shin splints or a stomachache on the spot but not this strong girl. I know it was hard for her.

 She dropped to the ground at the finish line, almost threw up and shed a few tears but she did. not. quit. I was so proud of the hard thing that she did and I told her to be proud of herself too. She even gave me a post race smile (after a walk and some cold water).

Friday~

 Nathan tried wearing this to school. Honestly. I made him change, am I terrible?? He told me no Facebook for this photo but I told him it was going on my blog so I could show his kids one day....'Look what your dad tried wearing to school when he was 12!'

Strategically placed Mater and McQueen during Owen's bath. He is still obsessed with Cars and spotted these clearance dive toys at Target when the kids were shopping for my birthday. He must know he's spoiled, right?

Saturday~

We had our ward luau Saturday night. The split had been announced so we knew it would be our last ward activity with our current boundaries. I have no idea how many people were there but it looked much more like a stake or community even that it did a ward function. Great attendance.

Owen with our buddy Fletcher.
 
We stayed until the sun was almost set. Fun night with some dear friends. I know it's time for a ward change but I'm not going to lie- I'm sad. It's probably wrong to be sad about something so wonderful as growth in the church. But I am. I'll get over it though I will miss some wonderful people that held me together when I needed it most.

Sunday~
Kat slept in braids last night, just like old times. Actually, old times probaby involved pink sponge rollers so this was much more comfortable set up. She looked darling today. She had a broken little heart at the announcement of our ward split. She lost the few girls that she is closest with and knows she wont see them as much. She hugged her one good friend and just cried. Broke my heart. She looked grown up hugging other young women, patting them on the back and offering encouragment. She has such a tender, loving heart. Change is hard and I know she will adapt just fine. But growing pains still hurt.


I'm almost finished with my latest craft. I recycled (upcycled?) an old mirror of my moms (it's 2' x 4' 4"). I made a combination chalkboard/corkboard and plan on it being our family 'message center'. I want to fill it with positive quotes and encouragement. I've a visual person and can't wait to have it on the wall so I can read uplifting things as I walk down the hall. I seasoned the chalkboard yesterday and then brought it in the house to hang up. Tonight Reed found Owen dancing on it, ha. I had to take a picture. Look at those little feet and toes outlined in chalk dust. I love them.

When he saw me with my camera he yelled, 'Cheese!' He already knows how to get out of it, doesn't he?!

There you have it. Life in our world the last five days. They were busy and full. I have a good life.

5 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Those little footprints are so sweet.

I loved every ounce of this post.

I also loved the picture of you and your five. What a great shot. It speaks volumes.

So glad you had a good birthday and a last good five days.

I'm sorry you lost so many good friends in the split. You are a walking poster child for change this last year.

Much love to you Melanie.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Forgot to say I love your new chalkboard/corkboard.

Kristin said...

Great post! Love that Kat didn't quit. I suggested Josh change just the other day when he was headed to school in a similar outfit....

Granny DeeAnn said...

Busy, busy, busy X's 5! I'm glad I'm so close to see how great you handle all that busy'ness! Love all my little Bushmans so much! Glad you made Nate change. I thought maybe it was crazy clothes day.

donna said...

Mel~ This is such a great post...

So glad you had a happy Birthday....