Monday, October 07, 2013

Changing Things Up


A little big of change has been happening around here. To start with, my blog is different. Can you believe it? It's been the same for close to 6 years (I've been blogging for 7. Can you even believe that one too??) I think I like it. It might need a few more changes but they can wait another six, right?

August 2012
I loved our picture from last year but I'm ready to change it as well. It was a big step for me to have them taken and I've never regretted that decision. At first when I hung it on the wall (not until late February) I saw it as a reminder of what I had gotten through. I counted it as one of my triumphs (our first single parent family picture). Somewhere along the road of this year, that changed. Now this picture represents an incredibly difficult and painful time in my life. When I look at it, I remember and feel some of that crushing pain. Even though it's a great picture, I see sad, broken hearts and I'm ready to leave them behind.

We had new family pictures taken last Friday and this is one of our sneak peeks. I love it! I'm grateful we have at least one good one (crossing fingers for more) with all six of us together. Owen was terrible. I mean really, really terrible. He screamed all over the park, ran away, arched his back, hit, kicked, cried, ate dirt, you name it. I'm thrilled with the few she sent me and can't wait to change out the one on my wall. I'll post more when I'm not saving them off Facebook but here are a couple more-

 Look at their happy faces. I love them and I love being their mom. They are getting so much better at playing along when it comes to pictures. They know it's really important to me. Good job kids. Nathan and Reed might be playing it up here just a little bit. Kathryn is looking too old. Dane is idolizing his big brother. Owen's status? Nowhere near the camera.

 I hope she gives me a few outtakes so I can show you just how naughty he really was because this sweet picture is highly deceiving. Really though, could he be any cuter??

Gorgeous sunset Saturday night
 General Conference was this past weekend. Wasn't it just great? All of it! I felt more personal messages meant for me to look ahead and move forward than I ever have before. I went to bed last night feeling loved and renewed. And very grateful. (maybe I'll gather more thoughts this week and post those tender mercies I felt)

{p.s. I wont make the pictures in all my posts this big. Just trying out the new margin widths, ha}

7 comments:

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I love your new blog format!

Those pictures are soooooooo good. You're right, you needed new ones. I'm proud of you.

What a beautiful family.

Jill said...

I like your new blog look!

The family pictures look beautiful! Your photographer must be a seasoned pro to work around Owen's antics. I remember having to do that a lot back when I used to take family photos for people...it was exhausting!

I loved Conference too and feel like there were lots of great quotables to help remind me of what I need to work on.

Kristin said...

The pictures are great! Love that you have new ones and love the happy faces. Kat looks very grown up and pretty.

Lindsey said...

I love your new family pictures SOOO much!

Chandra said...

I love the new family pictures. Wow. You have such beautiful children. I do have a serious issue with Kat looking so grown up though. Wow....not sure when that happened but she is growing way to quickly. Your boys are as cute as ever. You are such a fantastic mom. What an absolutely beautiful family. I am glad that so many of the conference messages touched you so personally. It was one of the best...if not the best conferences I've heard. So glad that the messages made you feel loved. You rock Mel. I know this has been a very rough time but you have more grace and more courage and more faith than most people I know. Love you.

donna said...

Mel~ You have a beautiful family....

Heidi said...

I like the blog changes. Cute. And love the family pics. I knew that quote would become popular. :)