Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Finished!

We did it! We (mostly) finished my closet makeover. I love it. I mean really, really love it!  It always looked like the before picture and was a source of constant frustration. Now it is functional and pretty at the same time. This is my first medium-sized home improvement project and, I'm pretty proud of it. Even though I didn't set the pressure on the compressor, use the nail gun, the saw or the caulking gun (haha), I still feel accomplished! I puttied, sanded, stained and painted. That's something, right? My friend Alisha built a gorgeous piece in her mudroom and with her creativity and her husband's math skills (we could not figure out the math to get the hooks evenly spaced, we had to bug him at work), we pulled it off in my hall closet. It is a hard space to get a picture of because it's such a tight hallway but with those doors off, it feels much more open and family friendly. Am I selling you on a mudroom closet makeover yet??

I am grateful for Alisha and her hard work and dedication in helping me with this from start to finish. It's been a dream of mine to transform this space for a long time and without her, it would not have become a reality. Aren't people that help other people's dreams come true wonderful? I hope I can be like that too. Sometimes we were working with four little boys running around (two kindergarteners, a 3 and 2 yr old) but a movie or Wii game would usually keep them entertained long enough for us to get through another stage. We'll finish up the top shelf and molding after the holidays. I'll show that off when it's completely finished. For now though, I can't say enough about how amazing it is for our shoes, coats and backpacks to have a place of their own. 

4 comments:

Jill said...

It looks amazing! I'm so impressed that you two made this happen. I hope you'll get a rush of satisfaction every time you walk by your glorious, new mud room!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

Incredible!

Your new-found skills and confidence are inspiring to me. I mean it. I want to try new things because of your example. Thank you.

I love it. Really love it.

donna said...

Mel~ That looks awsome.. Way to go...

Barb said...

Spectacular - you've got serious skills!