Saturday, March 01, 2014

At a Glance

This week flew by for me. I can't believe it's March. It came in like a cold, windy lion so I'm holding out for a nice little lamb at the end of the month. I'm 'training' for a race in four weeks. I use the term 'training' loosely because most of the training going on is only in my head. I'm on a countdown now with a real deadline. Go away windy lion, I'm more dedicated in fair weather.

 Anyone that has ever been around my babies knows how flexible and squishy they are, even at 2. To me they are soft and snuggly but others wonder if they have any muscles at all in their bendable limbs. I love it though. Owen can still fold right in half just like he did as a baby. In fact, he bent over and kissed his toes right after I look this picture. No effort required to stretch like that either. What's not to love about that? I have also always loved a baby in a plain white onesie. Newborn, one year old, two year old. Until they can't fit anymore, that's how long I put them on my babies. Truth be told, Owen is growing out of them but I stretch them on him anyway. I can't help myself since he is my last flexible, onesie baby.

Thursday was my grandma's 90th birthday. Ninety! I think she's looking pretty good for 90. We took her a 'bouquet' of 90 Tootsie Pop suckers. They're her favorite. No one cares about cavities at 90, do they?? I bought them in bulk at Winco and to make sure I had 90, I counted them by color in groups of 10 and 20. I had each color in a separate bag and let's just say that threw the checker for a loop. She was quite confused nine bags that had the same bin number. Oh, Winco.

 I had my mom meet us at her place so she could take a picture of us all together. There should be a sign on the door to her facility that reads, 'No little boys two years of age allowed inside the building if their name is Owen!' He's really that terrible when we visit. Kat had to stand guard at the emergency pull cord and they all took turns chasing him down the hall. Our visits are short and sweet because of him.

I was lead student at Pathways this week. Every spare minute was spent studying and re-learning algebra.  I didn't have a strong hold on algebra in high school.... or ever if we're going to get technical. It was a stretch for me to be given the assignment to lead the class of my peers. This is the result of all those hours spent studying. Loads and loads of clean, unfolded laundry started piling up a couple days ago. I kept washing even though I knew I wouldn't have time to fold it all until today. I didn't sweat it once (even when a couple haircuts saw that lovely pile).  Instead, I kept studying between loads and saw that pay off Thursday night. I was confident and understood all the questions asked in class. That is nothing short of a miracle for me. I love knowing my prayers are heard and answered. Even over algebra.

6 comments:

Jill said...

I love babies in onesies too, and I admire their flexibility.

I love the Tootsie Pop bouquet, what a great gift! I think your grandma looks fabulous, I would have guessed she was 80.

Congratulations on your Pathways success and in allowing yourself not to fixate on the unfolded laundry!

donna said...

Happy birthday to your grandma. Hope she enjoys the tootsie pop suckers..

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I could echo Jill's comment and certainly attest to the gumby quality of your flexible children.

I cannot believe how old Owen looks in this photo!

Yahooo for doing a good job as lead student.

Granny DeeAnn said...

I love me a onesie baby too. I love your flexible babies and they're so funny to watch as they discover their flexibility. I'm happy to see your confidence grow with the math challenges. Sometimes we tell ourselves we can't do something when we really can. I'm sure Dione would be impressed too! Keep up the good work.

Amie said...

Your kids are getting so big. Time flies.

Such a cute picture of your guys with your grandma.

Am I the only one who doesn't know what Pathways is? Perhaps I should Google. Are you giving up hair?

Becky Noftle said...

Proud of you Melanie--the word Algebra gives me hives!!