Monday, February 24, 2014

Charity

Yesterday I taught a Sunday School lesson on charity (it's a good one, read it here). Even though it was a small class we had a great discussion. The four people in class (where was everyone?) shared insight and asked questions that left much food for thought. I was uplifted when the class was over and committed to work on charity in my life.

All of this is so ironic considering I spent much of today completely overwhelmed, frustrated, upset and short tempered. I was not full of the charity I felt yesterday and completely ignored my renewed commitment. How fleeting it can be when we don't choose the higher road (maybe that's just me?). Sigh, poster child right here. I have a long way to go so to get myself back on track, I thought I'd write down the story I shared at the end of my lesson.

I've mentioned before I work out of my laundry room. It's a tight fit but it works and I'm incredibly grateful I'm not cutting hair in my kitchen (again). The biggest downfall is the room only has one outlet and it's behind the washer. Professional tools have longer cords and because of that I can reach my client but it's been a stretch (good pun?). I tried an extension cord but that ended up annoying and in my way so I tossed it out. I put a new outlet on list in my brain and kept on styling/cutting hair holding a cord with no slack.

The day before Valentine's Day I was coloring my friend's hair. I was changing out cords to use my blow dryer and she noticed I needed an outlet on the opposite wall. I told her I had plans to ask a guy in my Pathways class (he's an electrician) how much it would cost to put one in. She cut me off and excitedly said, 'No! My husband can do it!' I wasn't so sure about her offer and told her not to sign him up for anything and that I was just fine! You never know about that fine line when it comes to signing up a spouse before they've been prepped, ha. Really though. What if he didn't want to be signed up?? I told her to forget about it and to quit signing him up!

The next day (yes, Valentine's Day) they came over to make a plan and even brought pie. Whew, he didn't mind getting signed up after all. He assured me he was excited to have a project. There were a few little bumps along the way but behold-

my new outlet! He came and finished the job on Saturday while we were gone for a few hours. I can't believe I have a outlet so close. We all clapped with the buzz of my clippers. It was pretty awesome. People are incredibly good. It might seem like a small thing to you but this is going to make a huge difference when I work. I kept going back in there to look at it after they left. I had a full heart because of their kindness and love. I am blessed to have good people in my life. They help me with things I wouldn't ask for and give me a boost I need. Charity in action.

From yesterday's lesson-
Charity comes from the heart and includes-
Good feelings for all people
Patient, kind and loyal
Not boastful or proud, selfish or rude
Do not remember or rejoice in the evil of others
Show compassion to those in need when giving/serving
(without compassion we lack charity)
Not doing good things just because it is to our advantage
Share the joy of those who live by truth
Believe the best of others
'Charity never faileth' 


Have you seen charity in action recently? They're really the best stories to tell.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's such a great story! I totally understand the need for well placed outlets since we have 4 prime location outlets that have never worked! It drives me crazy.

donna said...

Mel- what a wonderful story. Thanks for sharing..
Enjoy your new outlet...

Lucy said...

That is just awesome.

Melinda said...

I am so glad you posted this story and I am so glad you have such good people in your lives!