Thursday, February 13, 2014

Snow Days and Books

 After our two our delay on Friday, it snowed again that night and Saturday night. The was the only snowfall we've had this year to cover the grass and actually sled on/play in. I had a big list of things to clean Saturday morning but knew this was probably our only day to sled. We checked with Grandma to see if she'd watch Owen and then we went sledding at a nearby school with a big hill. It was pretty busy but they had a good time. I have no snow clothes to speak of so I watched from the top. Reed looks mad but he was coming off of a snowball to the face here. He did have a good time though this looks otherwise.

 Gathering snow for their forts.

 They shoveled snow from the driveway/sidewalks and worked to make three different snow forts. It was icy snow so it wasn't as easy as it sounds. They worked out there for hours on Friday and Saturday. I can't count the cups of hot cocoa.

Sunday we woke up to canceled church. Can you believe it? The snow came late into the night/early morning so maybe the concern was plowed roads? I'm not too sure of the exact reason but we stayed home and had a really good day as a family. They played outside a few different times and were so happy to put our sleds to good use another day (bought last year and never used!).

 Owen was content to watch them from the house but once I dressed him in snow clothes, he wasn't content to be inside! He loved sliding down the driveway on his bum. He slid into the splits all the way down a few different times.

Owen overload.....

 He had snow for lunch.

I could hardly stand how cute he was in his snow clothes. Baby snow bibs, mittens and boots? Completely adorable.

 Dane 'snowboarded' down the driveway. I'm not exactly sure how safe this one was so thankfully no injuries! Nathan was out shoveling walks and driveways with the deacons for a couple hours. They took care of 5 or 6 homes of people in need of help and then spun donuts in the church parking lot. What a good scout leader....

It was definitely not a normal Sunday but a good one nonetheless. We watched a movie and a conference talk. We played a few games and baked some treats. A couple of us took a nap, some read and colored. There were no major meltdowns so I'd call it a successful 'stuck at home day' for sure.

Monday warmed up enough to create a slushy, muddy mess. Tuesday brought the wind and the disappearance of all the snow. It happens every year. We have a couple/few inches on the ground at bedtime and zilch on the ground in the morning. I laughed when I saw the snowman parts laying on the grass.

As for the books (to make this post even longer)-

This. This hasn't happened for a few years, at least. Our nice collection of books stayed right where they were supposed to unless we were reading one. I laughed out loud when I came around the corner and saw this huge stack on the floor. It's been so long I forgot this might ever be an issue again. Silly me. I can't count the times I've cleaned up books when the older kids were little. I guess it's Owen's turn now.

The job didn't end up being half bad. I 'found' some really great books I forgot were on the shelf. This cute book was given to Nathan from his kindergarten teacher. Fitting for our caboose, no? So many of my favorites were on the ground and we've been reading them ever since. I wasn't bothered once cleaning up the books. But since Tuesday, I've picked them up two more times. It's a little more bothersome each time. Owen......

4 comments:

Granny DeeAnn said...

I'm glad they got to use their sleds this year at least once. Once is enough, right? For sure those five little guys keep you busy. Now bring on Spring! Love my little buddies.

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I love this. One of the things I admire so much about you is your deliberate parenting. You don't take things for granted, you look for opportunities.

Natasha said...

Eliot is at that stage with her books too! I love that you and the kids enjoyed a stay at home day.

donna said...

Looks like your kids enjoyed the snow that we had.. But I'm glad it's melted. I'm ready for spring.,
Great photos.