Tuesday, September 16, 2014

FAQs

In case you were wondering (and even if you weren't) these are a few of my FAQs.

Q: Are you still going to Pathways?

A: No. Pathways was only three semesters long. After Pathways ended in July, I matriculated on to become an online BYU-Idaho student. There are many reasons for Pathways but the two most common are to refresh knowledge/gain confidence before diving into college and to attend college at a discounted rate. I'm so glad I went through that inspired program for both of those reasons and more. Sometimes I still can't believe I'm going to college. I have grown in the past year and I attribute much of it to learning. More than my mind has grown and I'm grateful to have that hope for what's ahead as well.

Q: What classes are you taking?

A: I am taking two classes, American Foundations and Math. At six credits I am considered a half-time as a student. After the first couple days, I feel like my biggest challenge will be to remember what website I need to use to work on assignments. Before, all the homework was managed on one site. Now my assignments are on three different websites. My American Foundations class is through a newish site BYU-Idaho is piloting called Brightspace, which they honestly refer to as BS. Really! Please tell me that made you laugh. All over the sight you can click for 'BS Tutorials' or 'BS Help'. Oh the laughter! A couple friends and I have already laughed this one out in only two days. One friend doesn't use that site so I promised I'd share my BS homework with her. How did that name/acronym pass all the higher ups?? I decided it's right on though. There is plenty of BS going on in college. Even if it's just in my head, I'm going to tell myself I'm off to tackle my BS homework. Immature? Maybe. Funny? Oh yes. Ha ha ha.

The follow up question or comment is something similar to this-

Q: How do you do it? or I could never go back to school.

A: Honestly this question stumps me. I don't do it all and certainly don't pretend to. If my house is clean, my laundry is behind. If the laundry is caught up, the sink is full. If I've been busy with hair, Owen has watched too much TV. If my yard looks nice, the kids mowed the lawn. Some days are fine, good actually. Other days it doesn't end quite as well as I'd like it to, like today. Maybe it's not kosher to admit this, but I didn't even make it to the shower today. I worked on school work, played Buzz Lightyear at least 10 times ('I'm the real Buzz!' 'NO, I'm the real Buzz!'), washed and folded about 8 loads of laundry and begged a friend to help me with my homework (Excel is going to kill me, thank you Sheri!!).

Today, I myself wondered if I can really do this. Can I really earn a degree and start a career this late in the game of my life? I purposely don't go there often, but for a few minutes I let my mind wander back to my life two years ago. Life was debilitatingly hard every. single. day.  I was alone with five kids, one of them a nursing infant and I had a broken heart that made functioning beyond the basics almost unbearable. I wasn't sure I could make it through an entire day, let alone a week or a month or a year. With the love, help and prayers of others and most certainly the love of my Heavenly Father and healing power of my Savior's Atonement, I did make it through that terrible time. I'm counting on (and praying for) these very things to help me through the next years of my life as I take on college.

Q: What is your major/ What are you going into?

A: I really don't have an answer for that. Right now I am working towards finishing the two-year degree I started over 20 years ago. I have about 18 credits to go, hopefully three semesters. After that, I'm not too sure. I would love to be a school librarian. Doesn't that sound like a great job for an older, more mature graduate? But, that job usually requires a master's degree. Which is even more schooling (obviously). So I'm not sure that is what I will end up choosing. With this question, most people are wanting a grad plan laid out and want a real answer. Going back to college in my situation is different (for me at least). I don't have my eyes on the end just yet because it's too overwhelming that many years down the road. I'm literally taking it 6 credits at a time, knowing that if my feet are moving, I'm going somewhere.


 Q: Are you dating? Are you wanting to date? You say you don't want to date, but does that really mean you DO want to date? Is there anyone out there?

A: No. No. Seriously, No. and No. Anymore questions on this one?

Funny side note- A couple days ago and completely out of the blue, one kid asked if I was going to get remarried. I was shocked by this question because 1- I don't mention it (ever) and 2- Hello! I don't date to even suggest I know or like anyone to marry. I told all of them right now I want my focus to be on raising them and getting through school. I said maybe someday far down the road I would decide differently. Curious as to what they would say, I asked them if they would want me to remarry someday. They each gave a different answer- Kid 1- No, I don't want you to. Kid 2- Yes, I think you should. Kid 3- (with a large dose of passion and a raised voice)- He better be a dang good guy to marry you! There you have it, all opinions on remarriage.

Did I miss anything?

3 comments:

Kristin said...

I didn't know some of that, and I see you quite a bit!

Lucy said...

Yesterday, I read and underlined this quote. Then, I read your post and my brain shouted at me, “Share this with Melanie!” You may already have this as your mantra because you are clearly living it, but it’s always good to know that you are in good company with Henry B. Eyring!

"I bear you my testimony that the Lord will always prepare a way for you to escape from the trials you will be given if you understand two things. One is that you need to be on the Lord's errand. The second thing you need to understand is that the escape will almost never be out of the trial; it will usually be through it.”

I think you are inspiring, Melanie and those dishes in the sink and loads of laundry waiting to be folded have nothing on the greatness of your soul.

Anonymous said...

Hi Melanie,
I don't know if you will see this comment, but I wanted to let you know that your dream of school librarian may be closer than you think. Depending on the school district, a Master's Degree may not be needed. In our district, the school librarian (in elementary schools) is now considered a support position, meaning that it requires the same level of education/background as other administrative roles. The district can't afford to hire "real" librarians, so they usually hire someone to be a 1/2 time school secretary and a 1/2 time "library aide," or they hire a library "library aide" to work 1/2 time at two neighboring schools. That aide job now does all the things we think of the librarian doing - ordering books, coordinating annual book fair, and holding 30 minute visits with each class each week. Could be the perfect job for you!