Thursday, October 02, 2014

Lessons

 It's safe to say I've gotten behind this week. I usually spend Mondays getting through as much laundry as I possibly can and starting the bulk of my homework for the week. This Monday was spent figuring out my van situation and little else. Well I did wash and dry said mountain of laundry but there was no folding to speak of. Sadly, I'm still looking at this pile today. Ugh.

Lesson learned: As long as it's clean, digging through the piles doesn't matter much.

 This is Owen's latest attempt for attention when I'm working in the room next door. When I came around the corner and asked what he had done, he looked at me and said quite solemnly, 'Oh dear.' He's certainly old enough to leave the books alone but I guess when you're feeling left out you do what you think is necessary to be noticed. Luckily for him, this only happened once this week.

Lesson learned: Spilled books are fine. I find oldies but goodies every time.

 Nathan was behind on a big project because of a scout campout last weekend which meant I was behind on it too. A Washington state elevation dough map. A torturous project, no? Not that I did the project at all. I just felt consumed by a messy kitchen floor and a non existent kitchen table for days. Two batches of salt dough, watercolors and plenty of headaches later, he finished. Good jog, Nate! I did take pity on his typing skills and typed the list of cities and sites for his key. So glad this one is done!


Lesson learned (edited version): Mt. Adams Rainier. I meant Rainier is the highest peak in Washington state.

When I told him it was naptime and he needed a diaper, he ran right over and said, 'Yes!' Seems we're on the same page at this point. Lots of work to keep those undies on all the time. Ha.
 Next up? Potty training Owen. I bought a big box of diapers a while back and told myself it was the last one before it was toilet time. I've watched it dwindle down in the past few weeks not really wanting to admit what was coming. But I kept reminding myself of the charge I made and we went to the store and bought underwear. It hasn't been too bad (yet). Today we are 6-1 with successes. Our one loss was the worst kind but I'm still hopeful. It takes a great deal of patience to potty train. I knew this from past experience but reliving it is the best reminder of how draining it actually is. He directs me when I say it's time to potty. I have to sit on a tiny stool in the bathroom and pretend to be asleep until I hear him potty. He tells me, 'Close your eyes, mom. Go to sleep.' Ok, buddy. Whatever you say as long as you keep going potty. It seems to be working so I'm finding the zen required to see this through. Oh the dog and pony show required to potty train a kid!

Lesson learned: Perseverance is key!

 In the middle of feeling overwhelmed, frustrated and behind, I'm reminded God is so good. I love sunsets. This week I have also been consumed with extra homework and studying. I have exams in both classes and have needed more quiet time than usual reviewing the past couple weeks of work. The cost of this is the piled up laundry above and a filthy kitchen floor I'll spare your eyes from seeing. Most of the time I'm encouraged about going back to school. Other times, I'm not. I miss crafting and spray painting. I miss some of my favorite TV shows (I literally never watch TV) and don't even get me started on how much I miss canning/drying/preserving food. I miss the 'extras'. Last night after dinner I stole away to the track for 30 minutes to walk my mind clear before I had to run kids around for mutual and scouts. This sunset was my gift. It was breathtaking (photos from my phone do not do it justice). The sky and clouds changed every 5 minutes into a deeper, richer color. I'm grateful for gifts like a sunset that can help me get through a couple more days. A couple more assignments. A couple more potty accidents. A couple more of anything. So grateful.

Lesson learned: God loves me and knows my heart.

One more edit- this is my 700th post. Wow!

3 comments:

Jill said...

Melanie I feel like you are Wonder Woman! You are doing so many exhausting things and you're doing them so well (i.e., with a sense of humor and you haven't been committed to an asylum).

At least you kind of get to rest for a bit while you're waiting for Owen to do his business; any opportunity to rest your eyes and to stop moving for a bit must be nice eh? Good luck with that process!

Neighbor Jane Payne said...

I truly love the image of you sitting on the stool in the bathroom pretending to be asleep.

I love how well you write how you feel.

Lucy said...

That’s funny that Owen even wants you around. Daniel does best without eye contact or knowing that I know what he’s doing:)

You are fantastic.