We have an outlet close to the eave of the house that is controlled by a light switch in the garage. No problem I thought. A few lights along our easy to reach low roof line, plugged into that outlet will equal some happy kids. Nathan and I took turns using the staple gun, while Kathryn and Dane untangled lights and watched the little boys. We covered both posts, the front of the house, over the garage with only a few feet left to the outlet when it hit me. We finished with the wrong end of the cord to plug in!! I can't make this comedy of errors up. Nathan and I just stared at each other with a look that said, 'Really, now what?!' I knew we couldn't take them all down and start over. It was getting dark and if they came down, they weren't going back up. So digging deep like any desperate person would do, I strung extension cords around the front porch so the lights would still work. It might not be too classy but it worked. They love the lights and so do I. We made a memory we wont soon forget, that's for sure.
| Kate, Preson, Lindsey and Chelsea |
We have the worst wind storms here. The day after Thanksgiving the wind was terrible. I kept hearing noises on the roof that left me knowing we were going to lose some shingles. And we did. A friend was here fixing some broken shelves when the kids found the flying shingles. He looked at the shingle and was certain he had the same color/brand/type on his house. On Monday he called and said he took the afternoon off and he'd be here in an hour to fix the roof. He and his wife showed up and fixed my roof with the shingles they already had from their garage. It was a cold 27 degrees. I cried when they left because of the good, good people the Lord has put in my path. It seriously humbles me. They fix shelves and fertilize my lawn. They babysit and build fences. They share food and help me finish homework. They fix my car and roof. They never leave me feeling like I'm a burden in their life. I am incredibly grateful.
Here's a 'Throwback Thursday' from a few years back.
We finished setting up Christmas tonight and Nathan found this photo buried in the bottom of a Christmas box. I haven't seen this photo in years. It was taken in 2002, Nathan had just turned 1. I don't know, maybe it's weird to post an old photo with Milo in it. But then again, maybe it's not because this was my life 12 years ago. Since I'm posting it, I guess I decided it wasn't weird. Only one little boy ruled our roost when this was taken, it was still the beginning of our story. We were much younger and the kids also pointed out skinnier too (ha!). It has taken many months, years even, for me to be able to look back and not come undone with what I thought was 'to be'. Finding this felt like another turning point for me. I was happy to remember who we were, what we looked like, where this was taken and who took it without crying for those years to come back. I didn't look dwell on it either or there may have been a different outcome. No matter how slow and at times painful the process has been, I'll take the progress I've made in the past year. And changing subjects, isn't that fleece coat on Nathan just the cutest thing?
4 comments:
Yes, that fleece coat is the cutest thing! I remember those days. I'm glad you not only posted it, but it didn't send a stab through you when you saw it.
Your light fiasco made me smile. Good for you. All of you.
I can't believe your friends. They are incredible. One of the beauties in all of these miracles is that you see them and share them with us so we get to be uplifted too. Thank you.
I sure love and appreciate you Melanie.
Mel~ , Thanks for sharing your life with us.... I know you family had to deal with a lot go changes that last few years..
But the way you handle it all was amazing.. YOU are truly an example to me..
I love that fleece coat too. The lights on the house are great. Good lesson for Nathan to learn at an early age. One I'm sure both of you won't forget. Christmas is a great time for reflection. Helps us grow. Love your blog...
You are a fun mom to do lights outside. We line the walkway and that's it, every time we attempt the house it's a tangled mess.
Post a Comment