We pulled out all the decorations Thurs night and today I got started putting them up. I just love, love nativities. When I look at Christmas decorations, I am drawn to them. The list of ones I want is loooong. This is my favorite nativity (that I own). It is by Jim Shore of Heartwood Creek. I love his nativity inspired figurines. He has some cool Santa (12 Days) and Snowmen ones too. Someday when I have a grand place to put it, I want the Willow Tree Nativity. Milo thinks I am a bit crazy always wanting another one. I collect nothing else, so can you really go overboard with them (don't answer)? Do you love nativities?On Black Friday when we were shopping at Target I found this and I was SO excited. I have been wanting matching decorations for the past few years. I usually don't plan for the cost of getting them and so when Christmas rolls around again- nothing new for the tree. Do you think this price is high? It comes with 62 ornaments, 18 yards of ribbon, 24 poinsettias and decorative ornament hooks. I doubt I even have a big enough tree to hold all of it. Maybe in an after holiday sale, I'll get a bigger tree. I had to talk myself into it but am so glad I did. I am not normally a 'something in a box' fan but the ornaments seem high quality to me. Believe me from what I have had in the past they are! You know the odd collection you get when you are first married. Yeah, we have had those going on 7 years now, blech! I have the tree up but have not gotten all of the ornaments out of the box. Maybe tomorrow....
I also have a love for books, really good Christmas stories. Tonight, I read this one. I can't read it without getting teary eyed. It is such a good book about love, the best kind there is, unconditional. It also has amazing illustrations. My kids (ages 3,5,6) sat through the whole thing and LISTENED very intently! It has 40 pages with quite a few words but, don't let that scare you. The story flows easily and it is a quick read. It is so worth it. In our house, it is a treasure that we read (many times) every year. You can get a new one on amazon for around $12. My mom gave me this book the first Christmas my brother was serving his mission so it was just the 2 of us that day. We took turns reading a page each and at the end we were both bawling (the good kind of cry). If you love to give the gift of reading in a really good story, check this book out.I am teaching Kathryn's Primary class tomorrow and can already tell I will regret staying up this late. Her class is crazy. Last week there were 10 kids, 2 of them autistic and 2 of them just plain crazy and can't sit still. They tried to give the teacher a 'helper' but she never comes and doesn't help much. I feel so bad for the real teacher. She needs a break from these kids. I'm just wondering why I let myself say yes to being a sub. Hopefully those 2 hours go fast!
9 comments:
Melanie--
I love that book, too. I got it as a gift last year and immediately thought of a dozen people I'd love to share it with.
Good luck in Primary.
I'm sooo glad you're blogging. I look forward to your blog everyday.
I've never heard of that book, now I'm curious.
I think your decorations in a box sound good, especially since that's something you've really been wanting. You'll have to post a picture of your tree when it's all decorated.
I enjoy Nativities, but only have one little one that Michelle made for me several years ago. It's very child-friendly and simple so I really like it. I was thinking I'd get a bigger one on clearance after Christmas this year, though I'm not sure what kind I want.
I love nativities too! I got a really cute one while in Germany this past summer, and my mom just sent me a new one. I love collecting them!
I've seen that book somewhere, and I thought it looked really good. I will have to get it. Since I happen to collect books too, Christmas ones are great!
Wow, you did stay up late! I hope the class was ok for you, that's a lot of kids!
I love Nativities also, and that book looks cute, I will have to pick it up.
I love Heartwood Creek nativities. I am glad that you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. The food looked very yummy and your kids are so cute.
Enjoy your day.
My mom has collected nativities for years and this year she finally went through and purged some of them. She had over 125. Growing up I always loved setting them up and hearing her stories about who gave them to her.
I was thinking this year that we would start a tradition of getting a new x-mas book each year, so I will check that one out. Thanks!
I love that book as well. We get a new Christmas book each year...my most favorite thing to do. They tend to be pricey, but so worth it!
I am going to get my nativity out tomorrow. Good luck in primary.
i love your nativity scene. i am wanting to get one that makes more of a statement than the one i have now. one that the kids can really see and understand. the one i have now is one i picked up on a trip in guatemala. i like the sentimentality of it but i wouldn't say i love it as a set.
i will have to read the book. we are going to do a christmas countdown this year by reading a christmas book each night of december. i need to get busy wrapping them and get them under our tree.
good luck in primary!
I don't know that book, and I always love a good recommendation!
I don't think that ornament set was too pricey at all. I think it's a great deal when you consider it's everything for a whole tree. Especially if that's something you've been yearning for, then I say it's a steal.
I love nativities, but I only have 2: a primitive wood one that I made years ago and an inexpensive porcelain set that I found on sale. I think it's a great thing to collect, and no, you can't have too many.
Post a Comment